Pocket Pets
Heated Debates
Jan 22 2008
05:13:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Undispu7ed

quote:
Originally posted by Ahsaehr

Pocket pets is NOT a reliable source. They sell inbred and sick gliders, they are a mill that wants MONEY They don't care about the well being of gliders at all. From their statement that gliders don't bond after 12 weeks old you can tell they're full of crap and I'm sure anyone who owns a "second hand" glider can agree.

In that matter, I have a 10 week old out of pouch baby who has been eating fruit since christmas, so since she was about 6 weeks out of pouch. SHe still nurses but she eats fruits too.

I buy apples, honeydew melon, peaches, papaya, mango or whatever is on sale, and unless the seeds are small like kiwi seeds I take them out.
For veggies I just give them a frozen mix that comes in a pound bag at any grocery store with beans, peas, carrots, and corn. For protein I give them either chicken or shrimp or eggs. Mainly shrimp. OR I will subsitute a high protein baby food once a week or so.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call BS on pocketpets telling people 12 weeks+ gliders DON'T bond. In fact, their statement DIRECTLY says not to listen to people who says gliders will not bond after being a certain age.

I made this it's own thread to keep from taking away from the other's original questions....here are some interesting reads..

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7513&whichpage=1

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10481

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8085

http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?MostCommonQuestionsAskedByNewSuggieOwners (#7)

Edited by - kyro298 on Jan 22 2008 05:17:33 PM
Heated Debates
Jan 22 2008
06:55:22 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Perfect Pocket Pets is nothing but a huge sugar glider mill. If you dont want to take our word for it, go read about them on ANY of the other forums. Most who frequent here do not read or post on the other forums. Just mentioning this so you dont think you are reading their posts.

This forum is KNOWN for supporting rescued and rehomed gliders, so coming here in support of a known mill breeder might not go over well. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Did you purchase your suggie from them, Undispu7ed? Or maybe you work for them?
Heated Debates
Jan 22 2008
07:03:20 PM
Sarah.og Joey GliderMap Visit Sarah.og's Photo Album 26 Posts
My husband's Aunt purchased two gliders from Perfect Pocket Pets at a fair. It was a hot day and they had the gliders on display (we all know gliders don't generally enjoy daytime if they aren't napping anyhow) and they were claiming that they are the easiest little things to care for and were wonderful, clean pets. So of course she bought two and was soon shocked to take them to the vet and find out that they had mites after only owning them for 2 days and that they were underweight for the age that they were said to be. Common sence told her that any animal would need more than a slice of apple, half piece of bread and some yogurt given via fingertip. She went to find out why they scratched so much and get diet tips and realized that all the info she was given had been false. they told her to feed peanuts for snacks at night and the rest of the food in the morning (obviously you see the problem here). Here babies probably would not have made it had she not gone to the vet and learned otherwise. ANd as for being low key, clean animals lol I don't know about you all, but my little buggers throw food out of the cage and aren't exactly clean other than them cleaning their fur...

SO I thank Kyro for pointing out that Pocket Pets is not a good place to gather info, purchase from , or recommend to others. They sell at fairs for goodness sake, in hot weather with a cage of several of them and a few toys but no sleeping pouches so that people can openly see them!! There is obviously a problem with them and I don't see why anyone should endorse them, even if they did get lucky and have a few and far between "good" experience. That's just my opinion.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2008
07:24:32 PM
Undispu7ed Glider Visit Undispu7ed's Photo Album 80 Posts
Well you guys are definitely right. I had been doing some research and even chatting up with a few people. I forgot to reply to this thread before you guys came in. pocket pets is definitely a glider mill and should be avoided. I realized I got ripped and they're only out there to make money.
Heated Debates
Jan 22 2008
07:35:22 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Thank you, Undispu&ed. I, for one, have total respect for you for coming back here and saying what you did.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2008
09:54:16 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I agree with Rita~that took guts! ...and not for "knocking" them, but for admitting being wrong! Are you male cuz I have a hard time doing that. LOL
Off topic chat
Jan 22 2008
09:59:28 PM
Lmao yeah I'm male. Eh I'm not afraid of admitting I'm wrong when I'm wrong and I'm not afraid of showing my sensitive side either. Guess that's rare eh? And no I'm not gay lol.

Edited by - Undispu7ed on Jan 22 2008 10:03:18 PM
Heated Debates
Jan 22 2008
10:01:13 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
LOL

Edited by - Catman on Jan 22 2008 11:09:17 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2008
10:15:23 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I KNEW it. hehe
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2008
10:23:14 PM
Haha, what exactly do YOU know? :D
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2008
10:31:01 PM
That you were male-not too many females would have stepped up and said "you are right". I don't even know how...ANYWAY, I will try...so here goes: I was not trying to start anything or make anyone leave this site. That is the LAST thing I'd want. I was just asking for "proof" when others were being contradicted. I swear, I'm a pretty nice person, as are 99.9% of people on this website.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
10:14:35 AM
Tate and Jodi Super Glider GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Tate and Jodi's Photo Album IA, USA 393 Posts
I purchased Tate from Pocketpets, She is healthy thankfully as far as I can tell. I'm thinking if these folks are so 'bad' how about we do something about it?I don't believe in mills, and by all means would not have got her if I had known it was a mill, but I don't regret having her now that I do.

Anyone want to help? I can approach the Iowa State Fair board and request they not allow them back due to inbreeding and not caring for babies while there (the post about them not having pouches to sleep in). But I can't do it alone. If it works for the Fair board, maybe we can start sending our information around to other places they have been and request it too.

So, heres my thoughts:
Any actual personal stories that you have read about sick babies being adopted, see if you can talk to the poster and get a personal letter from them signed and addy attacted (to make it legit better have some personal info) and send it to me. anything else you find to help us show these people do not have the well being of the animal in mind, send it to me also. Than if you have the time, send a letter/pettition with your request not to allow them to sale babies anymore. Back yourself up somehow. If you have personally seen them and talked to them, send me a letter with the information that they told you, and something to back you up that it is not looking out for the well being of the babies (them telling people babies are an age not appropriate to be taken from mother)

No more 'crabbing' start biting.

In all defense for some of the postings I have read against the Fair. The Iowa State Fair is VERY STRICT and enforces rules on vet paperwork. I'm sure that they saw all the paperwork on the babies and all the legal across state line work was done. I about attacked back when the Fair was being slammed for having them there that not all paperwork was probably done (it was on another web forum). I highly doubt that. So just understand anything you send me that in any way shape or form slams the Fair for allowing them there, I will not send to them. I am a huge Fair Junkie and know alot of things they have 'done' to keep things very enforced around the fair. So please don't slam them, keep it focused on the well being of the babies that are being sold and how it is inhumane.

PM me and I can send you my address.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
10:20:20 AM
I can do the same here in Colorado for the Home Shows where I got mine from Custom Cage Works...
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
11:38:15 AM
FaceHugs Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit FaceHugs's Photo Album 1247 Posts
Unfortunatly, there isnt much we can do till we get USDA laws changed. There is no min age, min cages, as long as they have food and water of some sort and the cage is large enough for them to turn around in and lay down, then it is fine by their standards.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
12:34:35 PM
I'm sure you're right...it would just be nice to have one of these establishments question their sales tactics and maybe pressure them to provide more truthful, helpful information.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
05:59:14 PM
Minmor Joey 30 Posts
We are in CO. And I am an adult and my son is 15yo

OK. I have been scouring the internet to learn more about sugar gliders.. We fell for pocket pets last Sunday at a Home show. Honestly my son's desire and my unability to say no to these adorable creatures has landed me with a large bill, 2 females and a bunch of glidergrub that apparently is no good.
The females seems to be getting along well, they sleep together and do not seem to not be getting along. However one of them is considerably larger than the other. I have no idea about their actual ages.
My son and I have been handling them alot in the late eve and they are crabbing and nipping less and less.
After reading here I will be putting them on fresh fruit 25%, fresh veg 25% and the rest protein. Should we continue to use the Vita-Glider to sprinkle on the fruit(vitamin and mineral suppliment) or use something else?Question:
Do only put food out in the eve or leave it all day? That is one point I am not exactly clear on.
There are two of them in one cage and it has a branch, a swing, an log and a heat rock w/ a t-shirt cloth doubled up over the rock. I am going to make a sleeping pouch using a link I found here. We have not let them roam at all but I think we can glider proof our large bathroom and allow them to have open space.

What is the most crucial thing I should do first. I know changing the food but after that?

Pls don't flame me...I clearly made a mistake purchasing from Pocket Pets but I am trying to rectify it as quickly as possible and make sure these gals are healthy and happy.

Thanks in advance!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
06:09:36 PM
Actually, sounds like Custom Cage Works...the glider grub can be used as a staple and can stay in the cage in case they get hungry during the day but they probably sold you a year's worth and I'm just not comfortable keeping food that long. I threw mine away. The vita-glider isn't necessary if they have a well-balanced diet. I feed at night and take anything out in the morning that can go bad (meat, eggs, yogurt, etc...) I wish I had more time right now but will respond again..as will others. Welcome!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
06:21:41 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
Oh, don't worry we won't flame you. Many members, you will learn, bought from pocket pets.

First you should take the heat rock out, and as far as the vita-glider I don't see anything wrong with it if they'll eat food with it on there. Maybe cut down to sprinkling it on every couple days though.

Second you should find a vet near you that will see sugar gliders, just in case you need it. And you should probably get a wheel. I just buy the comfort wheels or the large "silent" spinners at petsmart. the big silent spinners cost like 20 dollars so that's pricey. Or a wodent wheel or a stealth wheel. All but the stealths can be found at petsmarts or petco I think. Wodent's may be online only, but the stealth i s by a lady who owns a glider and I don't have the link. Those are expensive but worth it.

Other than that it sounds like everything is fine. I'm not going to be quick to judge you for getting your 15 year old son a glider, because well I got mine at 17... but there are a few things I'm going to warn you about since he is that age.

1. He can't take the gliders to college, it's a good way to make sure he lives with you if there is a college close enough though. Well... I take it back, some colleges do allow animals but I haven't heard of many of them.

2. Work with him, please! You seem much unlike a lot of the other parents by just being on this site. Lots of parents just let the kids take care of the pets and don't know how. You should handle the gliders too and be able to feed them so he can be a 15 year old and go out with friends. But again, it sounds like you're already doing this.

3. Don't let your son, "get tired of them" like so many parents do. If he doesn't want them anymore you probably will so I don't think they will end up in classifieds like many of them but I just thought I'd warn you

4. Also, gliders can get noisy at night so if they are in his room and he's a really light sleeper it might bother him, but if he's like most 15 year olds that shouldn't be a problem :D

Again, I don't know your son and he may not be like a majority of the 15 year olds that get a car at 16 and suddenly the gliders are ignored. And again you aren't like a lot of the parents (even mine) who just let their kids have an animal without helping them take care of it... so I don't think these will be issues.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
06:23:15 PM
Oh...and no one will flame you..trust me, half of us got ours that way and I was also "sweet talked" into getting mine at the home show here from them. Did he have Shakespeare with him by chance? Do you have pics of them? :) I know mine were much younger than he said too. I didn't know a thing then though. Also, you don't need the heat rock. He sells it as part of the cage set-up but they do not need it. Fleece pouches are best. You can also cut up the fleece like "blankies" and they like to sleep with and under them. Ask as many questions as you want! There are no dumb ones and I know that's how I learned a ton. I'm definitely not an expert but was duped by those guys without a doubt.
Food, Diet
Jan 23 2008
06:25:02 PM
Minmor, most of us here at sugarglider.com went through what you did. I've wanted a glider since I was like 5 years old. Never knew you got to own one until about a year ago. Then I did not know how to go about obtaining a glider. One of the guys at pocket pets told me to walk around for an hour or so to make sure I really wanted one. He seemed like a passionate guy for being a pocket pets employee. So I walked around for a bit, thought about it. I knew I had plenty of time to take of one, but that wasn't the issue. I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting ripped off and I could get them somewhere else cheaper. And then I thought about it more and I said to myself I wouldn't trust any regular pet shops that sold them due to the fact that they could be possible inbreds or rejected joeys. I bought a female glider $400. Came with cage, few month supply of food, rock heater, and a water bottle. Couple days after buying it I found out I could get them at an exotic pet store for $150.

With that said, there's not much you can do except take good care of your gliders. There's nothing wrong with the "Glide-r-chow" that was provided. Just use it until it is depleted. To replace the protein supplement, you can use things like eggs, meal worms, or white chicken breast. Not limited to those but just to name a few.

Edited by - Undispu7ed on Jan 23 2008 08:34:38 PM
Heated Debates
Jan 23 2008
07:05:50 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
Undispu7ed who are you? And where are you getting your info from???
Heated Debates
Jan 23 2008
07:09:41 PM
Minmor Joey 30 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. Actually my son and I have been each handling one of the girls. He has named them snickers( the smaller one) and skittles( the larger one). He is not the primary care taker actually we have been taking care of them together. He won't take them out unless I am there. He is a good kid but I would never expect him to take them to college or with him if and when he leaves home. I expect they will stay with us for a long time. By the way my husband has been holding them too.
currently the cage is on our kitchen counter that separates the kitchen from our family room. I thought it would bebetter to have them where I could observe them most of the time-should they be in a separate room?

We are by and large pet people we have dogs, cats and he also has a lizard. Admittedly I am a sucker for pets and they are all members of our family and all receive regular vet care. did try to do a search for vets, we live in Colorado Springs and there is one listing I saw. I am hoping our regular vet can handle them because they are awesome and take such good care of our other pets.
Kyro- pocket pets is custom cage works and yes that cute older gentleman had shakespere with him, I have to say he has quite to racket and I fell for it hook line and sinker.

I haven't taken any pics but will as soon as I can get a good pic of them I will post it

My primary concern is to make sure they are healthy and to give them everything they need to survive. Yes I would like them to bond to us and I certainly do not want to do anything to harm them in anyway.

Thank goodness for people like you all...we want to do the right things and appreciate your willingness to help us.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
07:18:23 PM
Undispu7ed I'm not sure who you are, but your info is not correct. As long as the glider have a balanced healthy diet, you will not get a smell. Also, the Glider Chow should only be used as an extra, and the correct amount of fruits, veggies, and proteins should still be feed. (so, you did not get a few months supply of food, you got a few months supply of snack food if the gliders will even eat it) The cage you were given is probably WAY too small and made of galvinized wire from what I have seen. Also, being that this place is a WELL know mill breeder, your gliders are the result of inbreeding and are most likely 4-5 weeks oop (WAY WAY too young!) Let me guess: you got one of those stupid leashes too>? DONT use that thing! Its VERY dangerous and MANY gliders have been hurt, mamed, and even killed.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
07:33:45 PM
Pocket Pets and Custom Cage Works are two different, yet OH SO ALIKE, mill breeders. I've never seen Pocket Pets here. (Colorado Springs) Gliders are referred to as "pocket pets" but I think Undispu7ed actually purchased from the breeder, Pocket Pets, if I'm not mistaken, right? The problem is, they give vague info to sell..period. I know my girls were far too young. Minmor, I use Dublin Animal Hospital and they do see exotics and gliders. We've been twice and I really like them-that may be who you saw on the map. Catman may know of another... I was also fed the line about meat making them smell. Beef baby food (minus onion and garlic) is one of their favorites and I've never had an issue with odor-with the girls or my male.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 23 2008
08:33:16 PM
I never experienced the red meat myself, but I over read some people claiming that it happens on this forum and glidercentral

Lmao no I did not get a leash. Sugar gliders are not dogs...I just got what was necessary. My sugar glider, and a pouch. (Cage and stuff, they told me was mandatory. Oh well, who knew better back then?)

Edited by - Undispu7ed on Jan 23 2008 08:54:24 PM
Heated Debates
Jan 23 2008
10:37:54 PM
tinkertoy Face Hugger Visit tinkertoy's Photo Album FL, USA 801 Posts
I think just doing good research on the computer can give you a wealth of information. I bought all the stuff that was offered with my first girl and have since found out that not all the info I was given was true. Unfortunately when your a new owner, if you have not done your research you are at the mercy of the people that are selling you the glider. Some common sense should tell that if these little guys were in the wild they would not be living on just glide-r-grub. Their diets should be as close to what they would recieve in the wild. A well balanced diet of fruits, veggies and proteins should never be disputed. I have also found out from the girl I got Jazmine from, who was very intelligent about gliders, that the dry pellets I was using for staple food was just repackaged pellets, meaning they are pellets they use for a multitude of animals, they just package the same thing with different pictures on it. Sure enough, next time I went in the pet store I got to looking around and there it was, the same pellets packaged for all kinds of animals. I have since stopped using it and have bought glider specific dry pellets which has what they need in it. The topic of what to feed your gliders has always been a hot topic on this site. But I can say since joining glider gossip I have not been told anything wrong. I do my own research when I'm not sure, but come on guys, some of the people here have been raising gliders for a long time and their gliders have lived for along time. That alone should tell you that they are doing what is right for their gliders. So if in question about what you hear always turn to researching the internet you will find more often than not that what you hear on this site will be repeated by many vets and other professionals.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 24 2008
12:29:01 AM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
While I did not see these as warning signs when I got my glider, signing a waiver that if it dies in two days of natural causes you get a refund is kind of weird. That should have been a red flag.

I also see on pocket pet's website, and I really don't like this, that you shouldn't listen to other people online or in forums because they don't have the "experience" pocket pets has. This should be a red flag but it's harder to see. Personally I think that's how a cult thinks and it's creepy wondering how many people follow their advice like that.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 24 2008
12:52:57 AM
It's actually harder for people that bought from pocket pets to listen to people who's has adequate experience with sugar gliders. I mean after all, they tell people not to listen to "self-proclaimed" internet experts. Makes it kind of hard to believe anyone on this site if that was the case.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 24 2008
06:22:48 AM
Trust me, some of us have ALOT more experiences and years with gliders than they do...lol
Heated Debates
Jan 24 2008
07:44:58 AM
I certainly wont be flaming you!

Oh, yes - most of us have been there and done that. I got my first suggie, Tilly, from Custom Cage Works. By the time I purchased Tilly, a tiny cage and stand, a heat rock, 1 sleeping pouch and 1 bonding pouch and a years supple of Glider Grub, Bugs N Berries and Glider Vita-Glider, it was over $700.00. They convinced me that I would not be able to find the food anywhere around here and it would be more convenient to purchase a year's worth and freeze it. And that all I needed was to feed her the pellets and a slice of apple sprinkled with vitamins.

Poor Tilly might still be eating that and living in that tiny cage with a dangerous heat rock if I hadnt found this site!

Then after learning the error of THEIR ways, I was stuck with a lot of stuff I no longer wanted to use. Out went the heat rock right off the bat. And I searched and searched to find some way not to waste the Glider Grub. Some of it I put out for the squirrels. But most of it got thrown out, along with the vita-glider and the Bugs N Berries. And I purchased a larger cage.

Now that I look back, they were at our county fair, which was held in July. It was close to 100 degrees outside all 4 days of the fair. Those poor little suggies were out in that heat the whole time, with no reprieve from it. Being a fair, it was very noisy. And he was showing people the gliders during the day when they were really tired and should have been sleeping. Of course, they were allowing everyone to hold them - they were to hot and tired to act normal. And Im certain now they were not more than 6 weeks old. Those poor babies.
Heated Debates
Jan 24 2008
10:12:29 AM
Minmor Joey 30 Posts
Thank You for all your advice. The girls seem healthy so far, we have only had them since Sunday 1/20/08. They let us hold them in the late eve and often fall asleep in our arms. I think they are getting more comfortable as Skittles totally stretched out in my arms and let me gently scratch her belly and even under her chin. They are eating at night and I gave them last night some cut up papaya, pineapple and kiwi. They seem to like it. They would not touch the carrot I put out.
I intend to use the recipes provided here to make them chicken and cut up and freeze some fruit and veges too. I will have to blend together I think becasue they do not see real interested in vegetables.
They will not take food from my hand but if I set it down they will eat it.
Where do you get the "mealies" seems like that might be the ticket to getting them to take food from us.

I am only irritated by my lack of common sense when I forked over an excess of $700.00 to cutom cage works without really thinking about it. When I told my 18yo duaghter who is away at school that we got them she said " Are you crazy they belong in the rain forest" That alone should have given me a reason to pause.

Well I'm glad I researched and found helpful info here. I will likely be asking loads more questions as time goes on.
Pocket Pets
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket Pets