Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Using Someones Idea and making your own design of the Idea
Off topic chat
Apr 10 2008
11:36:38 PM
Now Im wanting to see others opinions on this since it became such a big drama today when I had posted selling snuggie bridges because they were a sherbet bridge made by another .Well heres both bridges Im asking if they are totally alike or if they are different enough to actually say they arent the same.

Amys Sherbet Bridge

i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/LuckyYouGliders/Eden%20and%20Veeda/Joeys/1%20Silas%207907/250silas-1.jpg

My snuggie bridge

s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/tammyangel70/Snuggie%20Bridges/?action=view¤t=12.jpg

Im not trying to make drama Im asking opinions on this if I stole someones idea and trying to make money on that idea or if they are different enough to say they arent the same.
Off topic chat
Apr 10 2008
11:58:54 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Tammy, its true - there is an unwritten rule within the glider community that you dont take another's ideas and sell them. Since yours are basically made like Amy's Sherbert Briges, everyone is going to assume you had seen Amy's bridge and copied it.

Now, I plan on making a couple of Sherbert Bridges for my own gliders use - but will not be selling them. That is an ok thing to do.

Amy's bridge is very well made with lots of beads, strings of beads and cat toys. I have two of them and my girls love them. I always have at least one Sherbert Bridge in their cage.
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
12:19:35 AM
tammyangel Glider Visit tammyangel's Photo Album USA 137 Posts
But mine are just plain bridges nothing fancy at all.They are just something for gliders to climb on .Im sure amys are well made to her design but mine isnt identical to hers.Its still different the design of a ladder for a bird is basic to hers or mine . She just improved the idea the way she saw them .Just like I designed my bridge to the way I saw them and I still made my well made too just plain.I wasnt trying to make amy or anyone else mad when I did mine.Amd If mine were exactly like hers than yeah someone should be mad for me doing the exact picture of hers and selling them.I wouldnt like it either but when they are similar but not the spitting image of mine there shouldnt be a problem because altho there are millions of designs for pouches or toys someone has the same thing just a little different.Made of the same material just one thing maybe differently made.And noone gets mad about that or starts something over it.I have spoken to amy the basic design was her idea but what I did I did my own design not her idea of what they would look like.

Actually heres a bird ladder basic design

www.petco.com/product/105365/Bamboozlers-Rope-Ladder-Bird-Toy.aspx

www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750791

Heres the basic idea of a ladder or bridge they are the same design as amys just made differently with different material now if I stole her idea than she did theirs just because its a basic design she just did her design the way she saw them

Edited by - tammyangel on Apr 11 2008 12:36:35 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 11 2008
01:27:28 AM
tink761 Super Glider GliderMap Visit tink761's Photo Album tink761's Journal WY, USA 210 Posts
Tammy I was looking at the pic side by side and your Briges are different then Amys. Her brige is closer together then your's. You have them apart. I don't see them looking alike at all. You have more beads on yours then she dose. So NO they are not alike at all. what I did was open 2 web page and put the picture side by side and looked at them realy closely. they are both different. I think every body should do what I did and see that they are not alike at all. if you look tammy brige has more beads and Amy's has less beads. So they are not the same at all. Just look at the pics side by side and you will see what I am talking about. yes i know you all going to say they are made out of the same stuff but look at the beads they are different. Since the bead number is different then they are not alike at all.
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
01:44:47 AM
I have taken almost a hundred different colored and style of beads,And yeah I dont have the beads strung down and the cat toy on mine.They are still well made and hold up to three gliders on them at once.Mine love them just to walk and climb upside down on.But I would have used the plastic dola rod if I could have found it but I didnt .And if anyone had bothered to search petstores they would see several ladders for birds made of different material but basic design just like amys and mine.Amys has more extra design them mine completely.But even if they look at both they still say its a stolen idea but its no different with every pouch out there.They are just basically the same with a minor difference.

Edited by - tammyangel on Apr 11 2008 01:46:16 AM
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
08:58:23 AM
dranger1108 Glider GliderMap Visit dranger1108's Photo Album OK, USA 157 Posts
I've been making your "version" for over a year now.... are you sure you didn't steal my idea? I can make my version and ship it for about $8. so if your selling yours for $15 you are making money on them... maybe I should sell my version and under sell you? since I've made them before you so you must be stealing my idea?

The reason I don't sell it is basic respect for another human being who's husband got hit by a drunk driver and uses the income from the sherbert bridges to support themselves. I make them for my gliders enjoyment...
For the sgga I've come up with a bridge idea that doesn't copy or use the same materials that AmyMichelle uses... it isn't hard to do, to come up with your own idea.
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
09:11:25 AM
tootles Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap tootles's Journal 1981 Posts
Okay Tammy here it is in a nutshell. When you know someone that makes a toy or fancy pouch or whatever and you go and you use some of the exact same products and make them as your own and you sell them and you know that they already exist and try to say that just because one has more beads then the other they are different you are totally incorrect. Same thing happened with me and coconuts except I did not even know or see the person that I was supposeably copying. If I had do you think I would of said oh looky what I made I know it's like someone elses but hey I change the colors of the fleece so it's not the same. Absolutely not. When I did get approached guess what I quit selling them and changed the look totally. You want respect then give it. You want to be a vendor and have respect of a vendor then you have to give respect as a vendor. If you didn't use the pool toy and used something totally different then this probably would not be an issue but it is the exact same wether it has 5 beads or 2 they are almost made the exact same way. I personally hate all this mine and yours stuff but you have to abide by respecting others when you are a part of a small community. Things are different on glider sites then at walmart. People get to know each other here and make friendships and develope respcet for others not just as vendors but as people.

Edited by - tootles on Apr 11 2008 09:15:14 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 11 2008
09:21:49 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I don't even know how to word this so not to be attacked as well but I asked this yesterday-what if someone actually does want one now? Amy has not had the time to make or sell them in a while. I tried bidding on hers and was outbid and then the prices got really high on the auctions so I couldn't get one, I have purchased cookies, I've donated quite a bit, I am a big supporter of her and Dave and admire her beyond words. I just don't get why this is getting out of hand. It's been made such a big deal of, Tammy's going to have a hard time selling them anyway now. I don't know.. There have been times I've had to decide which person to purchase the same/similar items from. Also, there were posts I saw last summer where people were looking for the diving sticks for themselves. I'm not trying to side with anyone...just pointing out that they aren't being sold right now, haven't been in a while and will they be any time soon?
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
10:59:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dranger1108

I've been making your "version" for over a year now.... are you sure you didn't steal my idea? I can make my version and ship it for about $8. so if your selling yours for $15 you are making money on them... maybe I should sell my version and under sell you? since I've made them before you so you must be stealing my idea?

The reason I don't sell it is basic respect for another human being who's husband got hit by a drunk driver and uses the income from the sherbert bridges to support themselves. I make them for my gliders enjoyment...
For the sgga I've come up with a bridge idea that doesn't copy or use the same materials that AmyMichelle uses... it isn't hard to do, to come up with your own idea.

As for seeing your version Ive never seen yours or even know who this is .I didnt steal your verison of amys bridge either.And I wouldnt be pitching a hissy fit about it either.If you want to under sale me if I still sale them thats up to you.I know I count every bead and I have three dollars in beads on each bridge .It cost me 5 dollars for the sticks in each bridge and cost me five in gas to go to the post office to mail them and five for shipping .So what profit if any am I making at all.I live in a cow town that we have no wally world within fourty miles of me.I live ten miles from my town and postoffice.As for Amy all she said is that they are similar and its up to me if I sale them .
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:05:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tootles

Okay Tammy here it is in a nutshell. When you know someone that makes a toy or fancy pouch or whatever and you go and you use some of the exact same products and make them as your own and you sell them and you know that they already exist and try to say that just because one has more beads then the other they are different you are totally incorrect. Same thing happened with me and coconuts except I did not even know or see the person that I was supposeably copying. If I had do you think I would of said oh looky what I made I know it's like someone elses but hey I change the colors of the fleece so it's not the same. Absolutely not. When I did get approached guess what I quit selling them and changed the look totally. You want respect then give it. You want to be a vendor and have respect of a vendor then you have to give respect as a vendor. If you didn't use the pool toy and used something totally different then this probably would not be an issue but it is the exact same wether it has 5 beads or 2 they are almost made the exact same way. I personally hate all this mine and yours stuff but you have to abide by respecting others when you are a part of a small community. Things are different on glider sites then at walmart. People get to know each other here and make friendships and develope respcet for others not just as vendors but as people.

As for her bridges they are different amy adds alot of custom things on to her bridge they are well loved .And I did respect amy I even told her I would take them off.I wasnt begging anyone to buy my bridge or anything .Weather I would have used something other than the diving sticks you all still would say I ripped her design off .There are so many products that are similar and the material is still the same just a slight difference in them but noone is pitching a fit about them.This did get out of hand this was something you told me to talk to amy which after I read your post I did pm her .Im looking into changing the stick part but you are limited where I live .But even if I do people will still say I ripped her design off weather I build it with paper .I know how this community is the only ones who survive are in clicks.If your not liked you get treated differently.I have respect for everyone I dont run anyone in the dirt or try and ruin them personally.As with my gliders its not that Im trying to unsale others I sale them more reasonable to me its not the money.Does that make me wrong no just like this .Mine are different by me not adding every detail to them .Theres only so many ways to make any type of ladder or bridge and only so many types of supplies to make them with.Is it being disresptful no cause I did ask the person who was the only one who had anything to say about it.But as I said there are similar items sold at petstores just not with all the details as amys but does that make them the same not at all.And the only difference is her using the diving sticks.

Edited by - tammyangel on Apr 11 2008 11:10:37 AM
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:11:50 AM
But you can make a bridge just do it differently. There are many different things you can use. You just have to be creative. You just have to really decide for yourself if you want to be a vendor in the community or if you don't. Go look down the toy isle I am sure there are lots of other things that can be used to make a bridge. Use them and then post it and then you can have your own. Yea pouches are alike but there is not much flack about those because a pouch is a pouch. But this was an item that noone else made so therefore it was unique. I am sorry that you are getting so much flack but you have to see it from what the community is seeing and they are alike the are to much alike. Start from scratch it can be done.
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:13:57 AM
alicia Joey USA 22 Posts
quote:
what if someone actually does want one now? Amy has not had the time to make or sell them in a while. I tried bidding on hers and was outbid and then the prices got really high on the auctions so I couldn't get one

First, usually if you contact Amy and tell her you would like some, she tries to find the time to put some on suggiebay and/or sell dirrectly to you. Also, only the first few times Amy sold them on suggiebay did they get really high, and if it's one Dave has assited with, it gets high. But the last few times she has had them on suggiebay I have bid and won with the opening bid, they have not been getting really high.

Copy, re-design with the same materials, whatever. My main problem is you implyed you had talked to Amy about this, sending her a pm that was unread at the time does not count as talking to her. You implied to us that you had spoken to her, and she said it was OK. Then, when Amy reports back that you had not made any contact prior to selling them with her, and she never said it was OK, then you want to dance around what you already said.

The pool sticks are a seasonal item, she always sells more durring this time of year until the end of the summer, because she can easily get her materials.

I don't belive for a minute that you make no money off these items, maybe not much, but you do make money. If your doing it just for the sugar gliders, then you could make them and give them away.

You want opinions if this is or is not a copy, well, you have gotten enough attention now, your product and price is out there, you'll know the opinion when you hardly get any orders. I am the type of person that tries to buy everything in 10's, and you'll not get my order. By implying you had Amy's permission, or that at the minimum she knew about this (she didn't per her own words) you have shot yourself in the foot with the buying community.

Your best bet is to not offer to sell any, and if you have a ton of supplies, then invent a NEW toy using all the products and try to sell them. If you have a ton of bridges made and don't have that many gliders, you should donate them to Mary and Charlie.
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:18:25 AM
That is an idea Alicia Mary and Charlie could use some..
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:33:02 AM
I never said she said it was okay I posted Id emailed her and I also posted I would take them off if she was offended about it.I have not relisted them when I was told I could by glider gossip and also by amy saying it was up to me if I sell them.And for your information I will be sending some to val for her rescues Ive already had it planned.And if Im making a dollar on them Im lucky but its not the money at all. And I wasnt the one who said I had amys permission after tootles had said they were similar and I should ask amy I messaged her and I waited for her response Lynsie took it that I was saying she had said yes.I never said I had her permission I said that as soon as I heard from amy I would do what I had to.If you dont believe me go read my posting if any took it that way thats not my fault I wrote exactly what I did I said that I had emailed her to ask her.I never said those words.And as for looking for different things I am looking and yeah I will start from scratch and make something .I will do what I want with the ones Ive made with the diving sticks cause they are different.Other than material that is the same.And no I didnt imply she had said yes everyone else did I said Id emailed her only

Edited by - tammyangel on Apr 11 2008 11:41:29 AM
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
11:44:06 AM
Heres my first posting

I already wrote amy and asked her about it.Shes not been making any since befor christmas shes been doing cookies .I know there are so much stuff out there and most is all the same basically just named different or made of a different material.Im not making anything on these after I pay the materials and shipping .Im just doing this for a toy for the babies.

heres my second

I have asked amy if she has a problem with it .If she does I will take them down unlike you lynsie I do take others into consideration.

And nowhere did I imply she had said yes at all .These were my exact wording .I never said amy said yes or no to it.I said after she and I spoke I would take them down if she so chosed.

Edited by - tammyangel on Apr 11 2008 11:48:08 AM
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
02:18:23 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
My post above sounds very harsh and I didnt mean to come across that way. When Im at work on a 15 minute break - it doesnt give me much time.

Now Im not saying that I dont mean what I wrote above because I do. You can put it all in one word:

Respect

Poor Tootles got the same kind of treatment almost 2 years ago, so she knows what she is talking about. She changed what she was making to something of her own and gained the respect of the glider vendor community. By the way, Im not part of the glider vendor community.

If anyone wants a Sherbert Bridge from Amy all you have to do is contact her. Right now, supplies are plentiful - getting toward Fall, they wont be available again until next summer.

Im not going to say anymore about this subject.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 11 2008
07:32:09 PM
And I have already said I plan not to sell them the way they are made Ive made it clear that I was told by the adminstor I could relist them.And as for amy and I have no problems with each other and I have told anyone who would like to read her messages are welcome to .I dont deserve name calling like is happening .As for amy making her bridges her way as tootles said find something other than diving sticks since thats the big thing that is the problem .Ill make things different I dont have a problem and as I had said once I talked to amy and she and I talked I had already said I would take them off.I havent relisted them at all.But to be dragged in the dirt the way things happen on other sites because of someone reading into what was wrote their own meaning is wrong I never said she and I had spoke I said Id emailed her and if she had a problem I would take them off.And thats when I got called a liar and worse .
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 11 2008
07:49:55 PM
Flutter Super Glider Visit Flutter's Photo Album 205 Posts
OI to negitive XD thats like the worst thing in the world,FIGHTING! *Puts a song on* cheer up peoples :D
Off topic chat
Apr 11 2008
07:55:11 PM
If I read things correctly, Tammy posted on another forum that she is not going to sell her bridges. In fact, she is going to send them to rescues who are in need of toys. (If I read this wrong, please correct me)

Tammy, I think this is admirable of you.

Edited to correct my spelling

Edited by - Rita on Apr 11 2008 07:58:20 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2008
12:18:31 AM
Yeah I said I will not sell the bridges as they are till I take the diving sticks out and make them different since that is the problem with the bridges at all was amy using them as a trade mark.And Yeah I have all intentions to send Val some for her babies it was always my intentions.
Off topic chat
Apr 12 2008
01:05:04 AM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
For everyone that's posted to this, consider yourself on my short list.

You all need to gain some perspective. Didn't anyone watch American Idol Wednesday? There are children in this world dying because they were born with HIV, and you all are bitching over a god damned plastic toy. If Jesus were alive today he would bitch slap all of you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat