Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
First Painting In Four Years!!
Pictures
May 17 2008
07:04:35 AM
I don't know if any of y'all are interested. Outside of family, I've only shown this to Mandy. Her comments bolstered my courage. Back when I was exhibiting at wildlife art shows, I would share my paintings with thousands of people a weekend - but this is different. Frankly, I was chicken to show anyone.

Most of you know that I was a professional wildlife artist until MS (multiple sclerosis) brought that to a screeching halt 4 years ago. I lost control of my right side for a bit, and was unable to walk, let alone paint. My right arm and hand still spasm outta the blue (kinda like when you're falling asleep, and your leg jerks). Both of my arms, legs, hands, feet, and upper back are asleep. So, I didn't have the guts to try to paint again under those conditions. I can't feel the brush, so I have to paint with my one good eye. The right one is toast from the MS.

Well, I designed a huge studio in the house that my husband and I built. I finished painting it and decorating it with all of my reference materials. There was nothing left to do but try it out! So I gave it a shot. At one point, my arm did spasm, and I flipped my paintbrush across the studio. I just cracked up laughing, retrieved my brush, and fixed the boo boo. What was I afraid of?

Anyhow, this is a 20" x 16" oil painting entitled "Facing Her Reflection". It took months to paint it because I average 3 or 4 hours per square inch.

A close up:

As Mandy says "Please be kind". I'm a little insecure about this.

Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
09:43:34 AM
sunnypanda Super Glider 211 Posts
That is gorgeous! It makes me want one of your paintings.
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
10:28:02 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Very introspective title. That could be any person or any animal looking at themselves and wondering. I think it being an animal brings a more honest and innocent feel to the painting. What would be neat is if you do another view of the same thing and it is actually a little boys unknowing face looking into the water and seeing a tiger looking back; Animal spirit kind of context perhaps.

I cant help but wonder who here is actually facing what reflection exactly...

It is beautiful. I dare say that if you are able to let your gift show through such adversity, you are certainly meant to shine.

We shall call you Dizzy the painter who is henceforth known for hurling paintbrushes across the room.
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
10:55:44 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Dizzy the Painter who hurleth paintbrushes...I bow to you and your artistic ability. It may even be with a bit of envy, but mostly AWE! WOW!!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
12:38:04 PM
guitargeek01 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit guitargeek01's Photo Album guitargeek01's Journal IL, USA 718 Posts
wow, i can only wish i could do that years from now, that is amazing!
Pictures
May 17 2008
12:59:46 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Raven - it is so beautiful that I don't even have words. I have a friend who also suffers from MS and know the daily battles she faces and how ravaging this illness can be. Your painting brought tears to my eyes.

You are SUCH an amazingly talented artist.
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
01:23:59 PM
LL Face Hugger Visit LL's Photo Album LL's Journal MO, USA 492 Posts
Thats beautiful! I'm glad you showed us it!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
01:35:00 PM
LovingLife123 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit LovingLife123's Photo Album LovingLife123's Journal USA 1069 Posts
oh my that painting is absolutely beautiful! Don't ever be afraid to show us your paintings! I am very much in AWE right now! Thanks.
Pictures
May 17 2008
03:10:27 PM
tootles Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap tootles's Journal 1981 Posts
Wow I am at loss for words that is an amazing picture. You have a God given talent. Wow what a wonderful gift. Priceless I would buy one..
Pictures
May 17 2008
03:54:55 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Thank you all sooo much. Geez - I was so nervous! I do wish that the photo had better focus.

Yeah, Kazko, it's pretty introspective all right. It's kinda hard to see myself as I am now. Four years ago I was chasing caribou through the tundra, and hiking with grizzlies in Alaska, and canoeing with alligators. I was a pretty rough and tumble kind of gal. I even got to wrestle with a Siberian tiger one time. (Not a wild one, of course). When I was walking across the room, it ran up behind me and tackled me around the knees, and brought me down like a deer! Next thing I know, its mouth is around my throat!! Thank goodness it was only playing. That was so awesome.

But I can't complain about how things are now. I can't do the things that I once could, but it could be so much worse. And, I'm painting again. Yippee!! Thanks again everyone!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
07:01:17 PM
GliderDad Joey GliderMap Visit GliderDad's Photo Album AZ, USA 34 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! The tiger looks so sad and I feel the pain from looking into his eyes. You did a wonderful job!!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
07:48:45 PM
bree_bree Super Glider GliderMap Visit bree_bree's Photo Album USA 237 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!!!
i love this!!!!
this is the most beautifullest piece of art i have ever seen!
no friggin lie!
i love this so much!!! if i lived near you and you sold paintings i would so buy them from you!!!
you are fantastic!!!
wow wow wow wow!! i am just so speachless!
Pictures
May 17 2008
08:12:15 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Everytime I look at your painting, I am just blown away. The detail is amazing. Its like you can see into this tiger's soul...
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
08:37:46 PM
Flutter Super Glider Visit Flutter's Photo Album 205 Posts
Speachless......all i can say is WOW THATS BEAUTIFUL!!

hmm and it seams you would have alot of good stories to tell

yaay round of applause for you!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
08:43:23 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
If I didn't know you weren't lying I'd swear you're like one of those anorexic chicks who say, "This makes me look fat" knowing darn well it doesn't.

But, I can't believe you don't believe that this is amazing. I guess you're always your hardest critic, but this is amazing.
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2008
11:32:38 PM
dranger1108 Glider GliderMap Visit dranger1108's Photo Album OK, USA 157 Posts
that is too beautiful!
Pictures
May 18 2008
12:40:05 AM
tinkertoy Face Hugger Visit tinkertoy's Photo Album FL, USA 801 Posts
You and Mandy are something else. That painting is so true to life. You should be very proud to post that here or anywhere. I agree with Bree, it is the most beautifullest picture I have ever seen. 'tinkertoy bows down to dizzysmom and says were not worthy'
Default, miscellaneous
May 19 2008
11:53:03 PM
Roz Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Roz's Photo Album USA 902 Posts
You are so talented....there is no way looking at this that anyone would ever think you had any type of disability.....the details are wonderful...I hope you continue to paint and share this with us...we are so lucky to beable to view your work. It is amazing..you should continue to paint and I hope one day do a show...share this beauty with others and allow them to purchase pieces to hang in there homes..to enjoy and share....I can not imagine being as active as you were..to have to deal with this horrible disease...I also have a very close friend that has MS...and I know how it has effected her life....she like you has a very positive attitude...Please continue with this God given talent and share your art with us.....
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2008
10:51:16 AM
Mandy Glider GliderMap MI, USA 111 Posts
*Grumbles that she found this thread so late in the game* I wanted to be one of the first to reply!!!! LOL!

As I maintain, my lovely - extraordinary work! It is beautiful and symbolic and I am eternally in awe of your ability. The color and brush strokes are perfect in every way. I would love to see the original in person some day (maybe when we go 'mushrooming'??? ). You have nothing to be nervous of, my friend. Your work speaks volumes! It`s beautiful - just like you! *Snuggles*
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2008
04:34:57 PM
Roum Super Glider Visit Roum's Photo Album IN, USA 270 Posts
This is beautiful! And I applaud you for using oil paints... for some reason I just find them so messy and hard to work with! I'm an acrylic favoring artist.

I'm so sorry to hear about the MS; as an artist myself I would be terrified if something like that happened to me and made me unable to work on my art. Congrats on getting back on the horse and starting to paint again! I can't believe how lovely this is for not painting in 4 years.

That part about flipping the paintbrush across the room is too funny, haha! I tend to do that on accident with my pencils on occasion when I'm drawing... I think I get too excited and try to flip it over to erase and woosh it goes across the room.
Pictures
May 20 2008
05:29:07 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Sorry Mandy - I'd hoped that I'd slip this one by you unnoticed. Your kind comments in our PM's gave me the courage to post it, but I was afraid that you'd think I was trying to steal your thunder or something like that. Of course, I wasn't. I've probably had much more than my fair share of thunder from doing 25+ wildlife art shows a year for 15 years. But I just needed to share it, ya know? A painting is just medium on canvas until it can touch someone.

Each person seeing it will feel something different, and relate to it a different way. What I was originally trying to convey was the feeling of taking a good look at myself as I am now - and coming to terms with it. It is a bit hard, but there's no real sadness anymore. I am sooo lucky to have the life that I have. It's just a different life than the one that I was accustomed to. We all have to reinvent ourselves from time to time, and this was my expression of that self-examination. Does that make any sense?

And Roum, it's not messy if you paint the way that I do. I tried painting with a cat whisker one time, and it was too thick. You just about need a magnifying glass to see my brushes.

Don't any of you feel sorry for me about the MS. (Except for maybe the daily injections. That kinda sucks, and I'll accept pity.) We all have challenges that we deal with in our lives. It makes us who we are, and we need those challenges to evolve. I have an enviable life.

Enough of this deep philosophical crap - Sorry 'bout that!

Edited by - dizzysmom on May 20 2008 05:55:04 PM
Pictures
May 20 2008
09:38:08 PM
I would never think that you were trying to steal my thunder, my friend. I cannot believe that you thought I would be upset! *Shame shame* I am of the mind that our talents should ALL be celebrated! Hehe, In fact, it is I who feels like a heal, constantly posting my work, so I guess we are our own worse critics!

*Puts Snoppy band-aid on Dizzysmom`s recent injection site and offers her a double stuff Orea cookie* Hows that for pity!? I give the best kind! hehe, also, take this - *Gives giant hug* Did you know Canadaian hugs are worth 2 (exchange rate, and all)? ;) LOL

Keep up the amazing work, lovely one... I look forward to all your future endeavors!

Edited by - Mandy on May 20 2008 09:41:26 PM
Default, miscellaneous
May 27 2008
08:35:31 PM
LittleMissGliderLover Joey Visit LittleMissGliderLover's Photo Album 31 Posts
WOW! That is amazing! I wish I could do that, but I am afraid that I am art challenged. I can't believe that is possible for someone to be able to do that. Congrats! I love it.
Pictures
May 27 2008
09:40:47 PM
Thanks!!

Did I mention that I'm working on a new one?
Default, miscellaneous
May 28 2008
08:19:20 AM
LovingLife123 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit LovingLife123's Photo Album LovingLife123's Journal USA 1069 Posts
dizzysmom that is wonderful!!!! :) I can't wait to see it!
Default, miscellaneous
May 28 2008
08:59:51 PM
ME TOO!!! I WANNA SEE! *Grins proudly*
Default, miscellaneous
May 28 2008
10:24:10 PM
vballsetter03 Joey USA 29 Posts
That is so awesome! i love it..i can't wait until you get ur next one done and show it off!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat