Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bored
Bored
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
12:41:06 PM
This seem like a rather trivial subject in light of current issues, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.

We all want to spoil our gliders terribly, and go above and beyond meeting their basic needs of food, shelter, companionship, etc. But we also need to consider their entertainment needs. All of the veterans on here understand this, so I'm speaking more to the less experienced.

Gliders are very active, intelligent critters. They need a huge cage so they can exercise. Another basic is a wheel. That's really a must-have. Most of us here recommend a Stealth or a Wodent Wheel.

But they need more ...

Gliders need mental stimulus. In addition to the basics, they need to have things mixed up - regularly. This applies to their food and their cage set up. I completely change out their cage set once a week, but I also change out their playthings nightly. They don't need expensive toys. Some of the simplest things are the best:

Barrel of monkeys (hang 'em all over, single or in chains, or leave 'em in the tub)

Drinking straws (I don't understand the fascination, but they love them)

popsickle sticks

feathers (None that are dyed)

plastic bottle caps

cat balls with bells in them (or without) or ping pong balls. Make a ball pit!

tubes and tunnels (plastic or PVC is best. DO NOT USE TOILET PAPER ROLLS! The adhesive used to attach the first sheet is toxic to gliders)

baby toys (nothing with strings)

plastic parrot toys

cat toys (NONE WITH CATNIP - TOXIC)

toy cars (I'd avoid painted metal cars though)

The list is endless. Use your imagination.

Gliders also love to forage. Hide a few treats in their toys so they have to work to get them out. I know there are foraging flowers available, but I occasionally hide a few Cheerios in the folds of their braided fleece ropes, or put them on a metal hanging ring. They have to struggle to get them off.

And of course: No amount of playthings or personal attention can replace a cagemate. Gliders that are kept alone can become very depressed and begin to self-mutilate.

Posted by GLAB (Glider Lover Against Boredom)

Edited by - dizzysmom on Sep 13 2008 12:45:58 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
12:51:34 PM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
Enrichment is a must.. thank you for this post.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
12:52:56 PM
simisoni Super Glider GliderMap Visit simisoni's Photo Album FL, USA 232 Posts
I've been thinking of toys to buy for a couple of days now. I think I'll head to walmart and see what I can find. I love the idea of a ball pit! I think I'll try that and the barrel of monkeys. I always try to add new things to their cage. The other day, I found a little plastic house that had come with the rats' cage and I hadn't used it because it was too small for my rats, so I put in with the gliders, thinking they would most likely ignore it. They love that house! They go in it together and cuddle and I can just imagine them playing "house" together ("you make dinner with the fisherprice stove..." lol). It's amazing how amused they are with something so simple.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
01:57:51 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Wonderful post, Raven!!!! Thank you!!!

Go to garage sales, flea markets, and 2nd hand shops. Look for toddler toys. If the toys are safe for babies and toddlers, then they should be safe for gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
01:58:44 PM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts
I just got a idea, PVC pipe without the glue. U know like the hamster cage sets with the tubes. U can cut to fit make turns with the 90 and 45 degree corners put in the cage or out. And with no glue u can clean it just by taking it apart and soaking it in water or what ever u use. I think I might even buy some on my way home from work. The only draw back I see is that u can't watch them play in it or know were they are.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
02:02:04 PM
glidernanny Joey 27 Posts
another great freebie toy that some of my gliders love is the ring off the milk jug, propel bottle, gatorade, etc...-just be sure to clip it if it's solid so they can't get hung in it-we call em free monkeys at my house and some of them are hilarious to watch. They start with sticking their head through and then work it down their body to their tail and one of my guys in particular will sometimes have 3 or 4 wrapped around him at a time. He's such a lil clown

btw-if your wondering they hold up just fine in the dishwasher, I just stick em a baby accessory holder with the monkeys n such
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
05:26:21 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Anybody else have any ideas for freebie-to-cheap toys?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2008
05:47:12 PM
noeld2006 Super Glider GliderMap Visit noeld2006's Photo Album USA 371 Posts
here's a link to toys you can make for your gliders.

www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

Bored

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bored