Sugar Gliders
male or female gliders..i want honesty
Next |
Page: of 2
Question
Jan 06 2009
08:47:54 PM
I have heard neutured males or a bit more friendly tame and able to bond better than a female glider I want facts is this true? I put in a 50$ deposit on a female glider and idc about the money if a male is going to stick by my side better then I want to get a male

I have seen people have males go OUTSIDE with them UNRESTRICTED but I have never seen a female do this in a video

I will take my glider everywhere but school :) I want a little partner that will love me as much as i love it

so is it true males make better partners..? im talking i will bring this thing everywhere i just want one that wont run away even if its on my shoulder outside I have seen this done before anyways so is it true males are more friendly?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
08:50:07 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I have 3 of each..one of the girls took longer to bond-the other two were sweet from day one, but they are all equally sweet. I don't have a preference and there's no way to guarantee one will bond better than another.
Question
Jan 06 2009
08:51:52 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
I dont think the sex of the glider matters. They all have their own individual personalities just like we do. But which ever you choose, you want to get two. Gliders do not do well alone.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
08:52:29 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
and meant to add..you shouldn't get just one. They are colony animals and are not meant to live alone.
Question
Jan 06 2009
08:52:31 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
ok but can you get females to a bonding point where u can actually take them outside? I have NEVER seen this done with a female..

also are females just as playful as a male is?
Question
Jan 06 2009
08:54:06 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
There is never a guarantee that any glider will bond with you.... so if you have your heart set on that, you could very well be disappointed.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
08:54:36 PM
Definitely as playful. My girls are WAY more playful than my boys..except one. That isn't a question I can answer...it depends on the glider and your bonding experience, how much they trust you, how curious they are, how much you trust them. It is NOT common for people to take gliders outside and have them stay on you, play and come back to you. You may see it in a few videos, but I assure you, it isn't common-or safe.
Question
Jan 06 2009
08:58:07 PM
stepakapets101 Super Glider GliderMap Visit stepakapets101's Photo Album stepakapets101's Journal Canada 366 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by daregan

ok but can you get females to a bonding point where u can actually take them outside? I have NEVER seen this done with a female..

also are females just as playful as a male is?

I take my females outside all the time!

Only some say that the males tend to be outgoing but personally, I think there all the same, my males tend to want more attention but they seem to be a bit more agressive (if they smell a different male in me) at times but when there fixed they tend to be sweeter.

some males and females bond at different rates, no sex is better then the other
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:18:03 PM
stepakapets101 Super Glider GliderMap Visit stepakapets101's Photo Album stepakapets101's Journal Canada 366 Posts
oh and I would also like to add that you should be VERY careful when taking them out the first time!

the first time I took my babies outside I went to a really large school yard where there was a football field, I didnt want to take them around large trees the first time just incase they desided to take off.

if you do deside to take your gliders out (when you get one or two) make sure you have other people with you so just incase your glider starts to head for the hills so there are atleast two of you to catch him/her

I waited a full year before I took mine out, also another reson to stay clear of trees is because of hawks! ALWAYS look out for them when letting your glider out, if theres any sign of a hawk dont even take them out of there pouch! you do not want to risk it.
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:30:06 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
its hard I kinda want a male now =[

im scared of getting a female now im scared of her not wanting as much attention as a male would *as you just said*

im scared she will be just like having a rat or somthing just tolerates me being there

i want a glider that will actually love me over everyone else and be tame enough to be able to eventually take outside

so should i go with male(neutured) or female
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:34:05 PM
quote:

im scared of getting a female now im scared of her not wanting as much attention as a male would *as you just said*

im scared she will be just like having a rat or somthing just tolerates me being there

i want a glider that will actually love me over everyone else and be tame enough to be able to eventually take outside

Well, my females love me over everyone else, one of my girls will not even go around another human being and she loves me to death!

all of my males are very outgoing and curious though, they love me but they tend to explore more, they dont stay on my body for long though!

my females stay on me and they dont really go on anyone else, one of my girls will bite and crab at everyone in my family but she will give me kisses and sleep in my pocket all day.

basically, my girls see me as the safe tree while my males like to wonder, thats just my boys though!
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:43:31 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
quote:

...i want a glider that will actually love me over everyone else and be tame enough to be able to eventually take outside

I recommend a boyfriend over a single glider.
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:45:45 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
what would u say would be better for taking out alot? male or female? do ur males go outside with u? because i seen this one guy and his male wouldnt get off of him if he wanted him there he could put him on the floor and the glider would just run back up onto him
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:47:31 PM
quote:

Not to burst your bubble, but I honestly think your expectations are way to high for the majority of gliders out there. You are certain to be disappointed and the glider will eventually be unwanted and rehomed.

Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
09:50:47 PM
gliders34 Glider GliderMap Visit gliders34's Photo Album USA 198 Posts
I have a intact male that I take to school and everywhere and I also have females that do this too...It's a tough choice because with determination you can get a glider to be tame like that.
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:51:48 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
i will never get rid of it idc if it hates me

just to let u know that

i would never give up on one I just want to know which would be best to bond with me male or female
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:53:39 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
take to school? how?

what school allows you to take a glider?
Question
Jan 06 2009
09:54:56 PM
We have all told you the sex doesnt matter. They are little individuals with their own personalities just like us...
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
09:58:24 PM
The school doesnt know I have it, they are so tame they stay with me and just sleep, I just let them be in my pocket...sometimes I get funny looks since they like to squirm sometimes, and a few "cool" teachers know about them and think it's so cool. It's extra bonding time, and I take yogies with me too for a little snack during the day.
Question
Jan 06 2009
10:02:13 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
by pocket do u mean bonding pouch or what? shirt pocket?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
10:04:33 PM
jacket pocket...like on my hoody, Since I live in nebraska pretty much the whole school year it's ok to wear jackets so in the summer when there is no school mine just go outside in the nook of my arm with a hand towel over them when they are out in the direct sun...mine are very tame
Question
Jan 06 2009
10:07:24 PM
daregan Joey 49 Posts
which one do you bond with most? im sure you take one out more than the others most people do everyone always has a favorite :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
10:11:24 PM
I have 4 out of the 6 adults that are very very tame, so i switch between them all, but petey a white face is by far the most spoiled just because when he was little he had a really bad infection that he was really sick from...so he has always been a little spoiled guy.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
10:32:07 PM
Daregan, Sex dose not matter, all gliders have COMPLETELY different personalities, you could get a female that is completely outgoing or a female that hates people, you could also get the same thing with a male.

this is why most people get there gliders while they are still joeys because they are easier to bond with.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
10:37:29 PM
I did have a favorite..one of my girls UNTIL she had a little boy and now I admit they are both my favorites (to play with). I agree, sex does NOT matter. I don't necessarily agree that they are easier to bond with as joeys. I had a male that was over 3 years old and had never seen another glider before, never been out of his cage before, had never had ANY type of interaction before I got him. He was THE sweetest, most cuddly glider. We bonded immediately. One of my girls that was a joey when I got her, was a pit bull biter for months. It just goes to show that they truly are all different and you CANNOT guarantee you'll get a glider that absolutely will bond to you and truly be a "pocket pet". It does happen, yes. It is not the norm.
Question
Jan 06 2009
10:53:46 PM
Pookish Glider GliderMap Visit Pookish's Photo Album IL, USA 151 Posts
If you really can't decide, why don't you get a neutered male and a female? That way they get a buddy and you can get your own expiriences with both genders. I dunno, just a suggestion since gender seems to be really important to you. (oh and if you do get your gliders, like everyone else had said here, don't expect a perfect pet right away, better get used to some bites for a few months, lol) Good luck.
Question
Jan 07 2009
10:41:59 AM
Cheddy Glider Visit Cheddy's Photo Album 186 Posts
Yes SEX does not matter. Is all about how well you are bonded with them. My male is very adventurous so whenever he is out of his cage, he wanders off and does not want to stay on me. My female is the quieter one but she stays on me and I could leave her on the table while I run back to her cage to get something.Bottom line is, please be patient and bond with them. Each glider has different personalities.One more thing, gliders are not meant to be taken out ALL the time. They can get stressed very easily.Is not about you having fun with the gliders only. You have to put his safety and well-being ahead of you. You can ask any vet's opinion, but I don't think any will suggest you bringing them out ALL the time.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2009
12:44:43 PM
Gizzynator Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Gizzynator's Photo Album TX, USA 691 Posts
just imagine a glider being like a person.. not every person has the exact same personality.. some males are calm and some are spaztic.. same goes for females..
Question
Jan 07 2009
02:41:32 PM
LoveMy2Gliders Glider Visit LoveMy2Gliders's Photo Album 89 Posts
I happen to be more partial to my female. She goes everywhere with me. My son's football, baseball practice, Wal-Mart, walking, etc. My female shows more affection to me than my male and she loves traveling with me. She's a bra baby and usually comes out for a peek when we go places or she'll sprawl out on my shoulder and go to sleep. She's very spoiled for her Mama.

I missed if you are male or female. I would definitely recommend a female if you are lucky enough to get her to be a bra baby (that is if you are a girl or a guy who happens to like to wear tube tops) - females tend to be less smelly. My little girl smells like a cheerio.

Like everyone else said above though, it depends on their personality. My female took almost 2 months to bond to me and now she's like my tiny shadow and doesn't leave my side. Most of the local store workers around here look forward to telling her hi.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2009
05:51:43 PM
Jaclyn13 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jaclyn13's Photo Album Jaclyn13's Journal AZ, USA 1359 Posts
i have 2 girls. so i dunno haha. but i do know that girls are not as smelly
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2009
05:53:59 PM
Jaclyn13 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jaclyn13's Photo Album Jaclyn13's Journal AZ, USA 1359 Posts
i also would never take a glider outside...because even if they are bonded to you they may just take off and not come back. i read a few stories about sumthing similar to take'n them outside. so be careful
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders