Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
sugarglider.com Or glidercentral.net?
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2009
01:11:14 AM
Which one do you think has most helpfull source?
I like them both but i have to say glider central^_^

hehe sorry i'm alittle bored its 1:15am i know i stay up late i can stay up untill 6 or the whole night the other night i went to bed around 6 or 7 because of spring break
and i'm able to do that

Edited by - SuggieGal17 on Mar 21 2009 01:14:48 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2009
10:47:41 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I don't think having a question about whether here or somewhere else is more helpful is going to get you a a lot of responses...especially since you answered that somewhere else is better.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2009
12:10:00 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I dont browse around much myself so I am probably unaware of reasons why, but if GC is better, then perhaps you can help us to make this a better place. What are your ideas?
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2009
06:37:48 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
SuggieGal17 - This post is certainly not going to earn you many brownie points.

All the forums serve a purpose. They are all a little different depending on their members way of thinking. Some of the forums are more breeder oriented, some lean more towards rescue. Some are more free thinking and some will warn and ban you for the least little thing.

Personally, I enjoy them all. But Glider Gossip is my home away from home. This is a progressive site that allows members to speak their minds where others do not. It also has the absolute best glider chat room around.

I'm with Kazko. Please state your thoughts on how Glider Gossip can be improved. We are all listening.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 10 2009
12:16:05 AM
lovely1inred Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit lovely1inred's Photo Album 1144 Posts
I like this one better. I find the other sites I've looked at harder to navigate, less pleasing to the eye, and without anything I can't get here. The posters on other forums aren't any more informed than here, are often times the same people anyway, so I stay here.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 15 2009
01:14:17 AM
glider_mommy Face Hugger Visit glider_mommy's Photo Album AL, USA 931 Posts
Personally... I have been to both and GC isn't very user friendly. GG feels more like home to me.

I agree with Rita and Kazko... since you don't like GG as much why don't you tell us what you don't like ... give us suggestions. We are always welcoming new ideas and such.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 15 2009
02:42:38 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
One of the main things I have problems with here -- people aren't as willing to give good, educated advice. Or - to call someone out when they do a boneheaded thing.

True- that maybe why GG is more "user friendly" than GC. But - you also have newbies here buying unsafe products advertised here. You have people posting cage pictures with unsafe products in the cages, and everyone says "How cute."

Granted - GC sometimes makes me nuts when they are TOO cautious. But when someone does something that has been known to hurt or kill gliders, they need to be told!

I do like that the advice here is usually given in a more friendly manner. It tends to keep people coming back, rather than stomping off in a huff, which isn't good for the gliders!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 15 2009
04:45:14 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I definitely don't agree that people here aren't willing to call people out here. I think people actually go overboard doing that and not in a constructive way. Luckily, it isn't usually a problem. I also don't agree that people aren't willing to give good, educated advice. I was on both sites equally when I first got my gliders and was literally afraid to post on GC. I think the "holier than thou", snobby attitude there sucks. Are there people there with priceless knowledge? Absolutely. I'll go to those people myself and deal with them one-on-one instead of posting over there...EVER. EVERY site talks crap about EVERY other site. Everyone thinks "their" site is better than the next. I'm a member of 4 or 5 sites...this is the only one I consider "home base". Obviously, it's all personal opinion. I once posted over at GC because I simply didn't get much of a response here that I was hoping for. I got the same reaction there. No more or no less educated responses. To each his own...
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 16 2009
09:57:14 PM
sjabraham Glider Visit sjabraham's Photo Album WI, USA 107 Posts
i agree with you kyro298, that's exactly how i feel. you're always going to have each site talking crap about the other one, it's a pride thing. i know i've gotten great advice from members of both sites, but either site is going to be able to give you something. i personally find the people here more "real," so that's something to think about.
also, i'm not quite sure this "poll" is going to get a lot of responses to gc, considering there are some members here that are on this site 24/7, haha.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
03:41:26 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by valkyriemome

One of the main things I have problems with here -- people aren't as willing to give good, educated advice. Or - to call someone out when they do a boneheaded thing.

True- that maybe why GG is more "user friendly" than GC. But - you also have newbies here buying unsafe products advertised here. You have people posting cage pictures with unsafe products in the cages, and everyone says "How cute."

I dont like how you said this here. I dont know anyone who is unwilling to give good advice. Do keep in mind that a large part of the community here are on the early side of keeping gliders. And if you are expecting some few old-timers to always be looking out for errors and such, well, you must have a lot more free time on your hands than others of us do.

If you are noticing things that need to be "called out" and you are not acting, then you are at least just as guilty as others who appear to be doing the same, if not more so because you are aware that you are not acting. And such seems to me that you are resolved to just complain about stuff than to do something about it.

A community is nothing if it isnt about participation. I personally have less and less time to be here these days to look for the things that people are doing wrong and odds are that my own fix for them would be controversial and probably not what you'd agree on. I am here to share what I can and have fun with my friends while doing it. Thats why you need to be the one to act. Dont say that "we" are unwilling to give good advice because that is incorrect and somewhat ignorant.

Go start up or edit on some Gliderpedia articles if you think we need better advice here. There is a blog here if you want to share some personal ideas or thoughts. There is always room for better stuff; this is not a cheertatorship. And act if you think something needs to be said. That is the only way that a community can learn and grow.

The only thing that we limit here is non-constructive anything and people who lie or abuse. Personal agendas can also be left at the door.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
12:49:54 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I don't like being members of forums who find it perfectly fine to edit out information just because it conflicts with what they know and understand.

You can't even provide sources because "Posting to an outside website is not allowed" unless of course it supports what they're saying.

The hell with it all.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
09:38:14 PM
Tortiebaby Glider Visit Tortiebaby's Photo Album IL, USA 159 Posts
I think that on GC there are a lot more older and more experienced members that are active on the boards all day. Here it seems to be more newbies who run the board.

There are good and bad things to both boards(and to ANY boards, for that matter). GC does tend to have a few more "snobby" members and when they help they tend to be rather blunt and it can come off as unfriendly, especially to a newbie.

Here, on the other hand, most of the members are newer, so we're almost all in the "learning phase" and thus more lenient if someone makes a mistake.

I think GC needs to pull back a bit on the reigns in certain areas and GG could tighten up a bit more in certain areas. No one is perfect though, which is why where are multiple forums. ;)

Example: if a new member came onto the forums and showed a picture of their glider in the leash, imo, GG members would probably freak out and tell the person(either to their face or behind their back on a different forum) that they're a bad glider owner. GC members, on the other hand would probably comment on the glider and add that leashes are unsafe in a friendly way. ;)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
10:07:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kazko

quote:

I dont like how you said this here. I dont know anyone who is unwilling to give good advice. Do keep in mind that a large part of the community here are on the early side of keeping gliders. And if you are expecting some few old-timers to always be looking out for errors and such, well, you must have a lot more free time on your hands than others of us do.

If you are noticing things that need to be "called out" and you are not acting, then you are at least just as guilty as others who appear to be doing the same, if not more so because you are aware that you are not acting. And such seems to me that you are resolved to just complain about stuff than to do something about it.

I spoke in generalizations, and didn't point fingers at anyone, Kazko. You, on the other hand, addressed me personally, and were quite critical and rude.

I *DO* call things out - every single time. AND I've been criticized for it - both on the forum, and in PM. I've been told I'm "being mean" when I told a member that her cage set was really cute, but the wheel in the picture wasn't safe for gliders. I've made similar suggestions, based on things I've seen in pictures, and have been called "mean" and "unfair" and every thing else- only because I'm pointing out items which are considered unsafe. (Jingle bells, unsafe wheels, non-boxed corner pouches, rope toys, etc)

I'm "picking on people" when I make any comment which I consider to be constructive. Yes - the GG forum is made up of people "newer" in their discovery of gliders. Which is why when someone who has been around a while makes a comment trying to be helpful, those comments should be supported, not ripped apart.

I think you will find if you read my posts, I am VERY far from "resolved to complain." And that I "do stuff" rather than just complain about it. Furthermore, I try to ALWAYS use tact when I post, so as not to make people feel uncomfortable about posting further.

Right now, I'm tempted to suggest that *you* try some tact. If there is some personal reason you don't like me or my posts, please take it to PM. But don't make non-sense accusations, which, based on my posting history, not to mention my experience, are absolutely ludicrous.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
01:33:19 AM
quote:
...I spoke in generalizations, and didn't point fingers at anyone, Kazko. You, on the other hand, addressed me personally, and were quite critical and rude...

Yes, you spoke in general dogging my entire community and I spoke back to you. And I gave one example as to why this might be happening because my own self is too busy to be here all the time and I gave an example of what you can do to help fix the problem.

And you are the rude one here and now in this thread and I think that you are a complete ass for directing this in the way that you are.

I am going to take your bait and shove it back into your mouth and just say that you are the pushy one who is only proving my point. And I do not see any attempt at tact in your writings. Perhaps that is why someone on here is criticizing you.

And here's my generalization for you: I think that some people just feel a need to stir up trouble especially when they are just plain wrong.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
08:46:37 AM
Of course you are right, Kazko.

I will no longer mention any unsafe products I see in glider cages. I certainly don't want to be mean or rude.

Apparently all kinds of VERY unsafe conditions are encouraged and welcomed on GG. I will no longer try to post from my experience and give good advice. You are right - I simply don't have time to try to contribute to a forum where people choose to remain ignorant and defend their "right" to be butt heads.

By the way - we were all ASKED - by you, for opinions on how to improve this site. Apparently you didn't really want constructive criticism. You wanted to choose to feel "attacked" when I pointed out some of the differences I've noticed in the different communities.

So- rather than take the suggestions you requested, you wanted to defend the status quo and decline suggestions for improvement. No - not decline - attack.

Edited by - valkyriemome on Apr 18 2009 08:49:25 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
09:29:45 AM
trigger Glider Visit trigger's Photo Album USA 164 Posts
I have to agree with Alden on this one. Case & point: www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20042

Tons of yahoo's & pats on the back for a cute set. ONE warning because both those sets are DANGEROUS to gliders. Cute, yep they are but won't be cute at all when they cause injuries to someone's glider. It bothers me to see this too Alden.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
09:30:37 AM
quote:
I will no longer mention any unsafe products I see in glider cages. I certainly don't want to be mean or rude.

That's just ridiculous and that's YOUR choice if you choose not to. Obviously, you weren't the only one that said something about it and no one is attacking you for that. I don't think anyone minds when a glider's safety is addressed. I know I don't.

Apparently all kinds of VERY unsafe conditions are encouraged and welcomed on GG.

Again, come on, ridiculous! Yes, people, we ENCOURAGE unsafe conditions here! Come one, come all!

I will no longer try to post from my experience and give good advice. You are right - I simply don't have time to try to contribute to a forum where people choose to remain ignorant and defend their "right" to be butt heads.

Now you are attacking everyone and that is out of line. Period. You also have and are clearly exercising your right to butt heads. Everyone has a right to butt heads. We're human. It's no secret you aren't even a fan of this forum anyway.

By the way - we were all ASKED - by you, for opinions on how to improve this site. Apparently you didn't really want constructive criticism. You wanted to choose to feel "attacked" when I pointed out some of the differences I've noticed in the different communities.

Again, I think you're allowed to point out the differences in different communities but I also agree it's in the delivery as to how people will accept it. You do tend to attack, Alden. Maybe people aren't used to your phrasing and we all know things are placed out of context without expression behind it. It may be on purpose, it may be not...it just comes off very condescending.

So- rather than take the suggestions you requested, you wanted to defend the status quo and decline suggestions for improvement. No - not decline - attack.

The other thing you seem to be misunderstanding is that this forum is not made up of ONE person. For you to CHOOSE to not "waste" any more of your precious time because YOU butt heads with someone is actually what appears ignorant to me. No one said you didn't have valuable advice and it's a damn shame this thread DID have to go the direction it did.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
09:32:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by trigger

I have to agree with Alden on this one. Case & point: www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20042

Tons of yahoo's & pats on the back for a cute set. ONE warning because both those sets are DANGEROUS to gliders. Cute, yep they are but won't be cute at all when they cause injuries to someone's glider. It bothers me to see this too Alden.

I'm sorry-this is NOT a case in point. 90% of the people that responded on there DON'T SEW!! I wouldn't know a good stitch from a bad one if it bit me in the butt.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
09:44:15 AM
Since when does a person need to sew to know safe product for their pets?
I learned lots about what my gliders could & couldn't have be it toys, food, cages, etc. before I ever learned to sew or make toys.
There are lots of people that have gliders as pets and know safe from unsafe but will never sew or make toys. They don't want to or know how, they just buy them.

If not being informed about safe & unsafe products is the case I say that would be a very good area to work on. No one wants to see an injured glider period, and certainly no one wants to see their own babies hurt.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
09:49:33 AM
You'd have to know how to sew to be able to recognize a bad stitch. You said everyone was just saying how cute it was...well, it was cute! I wouldn't have known just from looking at it that it was unsafe UNTIL someone said something. I do appreciate someone saying something, that wasn't what I was trying to say. I would HOPE someone would say something. I think you are misconstruing what I said.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
10:14:24 AM
Then maybe that is a good area for people here to work on. Making sure people can recognize a potential danger in toys & bedding. I don't want to hear of any babies being hurt when those things are avoidable if the parents are informed.
As to regocnizing unsafe stiches. If they look like you can get something small like a glider nail under it a tear it out it's not safe, your glider can get it & tear it out. They should be so small & tight that you can barely even see them and it would be a pain in the hiney for you to rip them out.
Double or triple stitching is also recommended to keep your diggers & chewers from tearing them up so easily. Never decorative stitches. Hidden seams are best & stitching still needs to be safe.

I know that Nicole & Tracy have been trying to get the info out there about toy & bedding safety so hopefully people will soon be able to recognize these things when they see the pics of toys or sets.
Also the more informed the buyers are the more the sellers will have to buckle down & make items safely in order to sell them.

We need to look at items and say "is it safe?" and then "is it cute?".

I personally send my items to other members to test & look over thoroughly before ever offering it for sale. I want to know it won't hurt a baby before it goes out the door.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
10:38:24 AM
I don't think any of us have an issue with learning new things (those that do ARE the ignorant ones) to recognize as dangers BUT if people don't know to call it out as a danger, obviously they can't. THAT was my point. I know I personally learned something about how cage sets/toys are made throughout all this that I would have NEVER known or even noticed before.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
12:09:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

quote:

That's just ridiculous and that's YOUR choice if you choose not to. Obviously, you weren't the only one that said something about it and no one is attacking you for that. I don't think anyone minds when a glider's safety is addressed. I know I don't. Uh ... yes - I was attacked, Kyro

Apparently all kinds of VERY unsafe conditions are encouraged and welcomed on GG.

Again, come on, ridiculous! Yes, people, we ENCOURAGE unsafe conditions here! Come one, come all! Well, what is done about it then? I'm not talking about the cage sets. I'm talking about the posts that have shown unsafe wheels, or galvanized metal - where I was the only one to speak up at all, and then was sent PMs about how I shouldn't have said anything.

I will no longer try to post from my experience and give good advice. You are right - I simply don't have time to try to contribute to a forum where people choose to remain ignorant and defend their "right" to be butt heads.

Now you are attacking everyone and that is out of line. Period. You also have and are clearly exercising your right to butt heads. Everyone has a right to butt heads. We're human. It's no secret you aren't even a fan of this forum anyway. That is complete crap, Kyro. YOU are way out of line! I don't know where you got your information, but it is simply not true AT ALL.

Again, I think you're allowed to point out the differences in different communities but I also agree it's in the delivery as to how people will accept it. You do tend to attack, Alden. Maybe people aren't used to your phrasing and we all know things are placed out of context without expression behind it. It may be on purpose, it may be not...it just comes off very condescending. If you would go back to my post - the one that seemed to have prompted what was, in fact, an attack from Kazko- you will see that I stated pros and cons of BOTH sites. I didn't say one was wonderful the other was crap. I stated things I liked and did not like about BOTH sites. That is attacking? News to me. Condescending? Also news to me. It appeared to me that I was being VERY condescended TO ...

The other thing you seem to be misunderstanding is that this forum is not made up of ONE person. For you to CHOOSE to not "waste" any more of your precious time because YOU butt heads with someone is actually what appears ignorant to me. No one said you didn't have valuable advice and it's a damn shame this thread DID have to go the direction it did.

That part I agree with. It is a shame. Opinions were solicited. I gave my opinion. Most people responded with THEIR opinions. Did you see me saying they were wrong? Picking? Attacking? Trying to stir up trouble? No - I respect their opinions. Only when ONE person CHOSE to specifically attack MY comments did I get angry and defensive. But - you insist I'm the one who was wrong? Yeah ... Ok ... that makes sense. Not at all ignorant.
Heated Debates
Apr 18 2009
12:39:10 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
Oh, my gosh You badmouth GG all the time until you got banned off and decided to come here and you know it. You didn't JUST badmouth GG you probably did the admin bashing too thats so popular. Of course me and Rita have our heads up their butts- remember that?

So maybe you be tactful and take the criticism you're so gladly able to dole out with a smile

Edited by - Ahsaehr on Apr 18 2009 12:48:29 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
02:51:29 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
I'm to tired for confrontation today, but we did ask for opinions. Alden, I do think calling the members on this site "ignorant" was out of line. It was a very hurtful comment and hard not to take personally.

Those of us who have been "here" awhile dont have a problem with questioning or saying something if we think it would be harmful to gliders. New members need to stop taking things so personally - and take the advice or constructive criticism for what it is.

If we notice something that could potentially be harmful to your gliders and didnt say anything about it - and something **did** happen to your glider - wouldnt you be upset that we DIDNT say anything? Some have said to do it in a PM, but if we didnt post it out in the forum for all to see, another new owner could come along and think how nifty that is....

Remember - it is NOT personal.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
03:26:37 PM
Sorry, Rita - but, I didn't use the word ignorant until after Kazko had directly called ME ignorant.

You are right, it was hard not to take personally.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
11:03:24 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
What kind of post is this?

Would you go into Wendys and ask what burger you like better,Wendys or Burger King? Unless your there to start trouble.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
11:37:06 PM
Well from reading the first post...one started by a bored teenager. LOL I can almost remember being one of those eons ago.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 19 2009
11:05:02 AM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
this is the dumbest discussion ever.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires