Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
How do I convince my mom?
Question
Apr 17 2009
03:00:32 PM
I've been trying to convince my mom for awhile that I should be able to get a sugar glider(s).
I know how to take care of them and etc,
and I've already got friends getting me a really huge cage.
My mom likes the thought of getting a glider(s),
but won't actually go for it.
She said they sound like alot more work than fun,
I read posts almost all last night.
From what I've read they seem like great pets,
of coarse hard to take care of, but worth it.
Cuz we always have more than enough fruit and veggies in the house,
and my friend Austino has meal worms.
Anyway. My friends say they think I would be able to keep up with em.
I'm actually a very responsable kid from what people have told me.
I just need some help on the possitive.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
03:29:54 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
The best thing you could ever do is have your MOM come on here and read all she can...especially about diet, vet care, housing, etc...
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
03:49:18 PM
Aly-oop Starting Member 1 Posts
I should.
I think she looked up videos o youtube,
and seen that stupid lady i an ugly sweater.
I hate her.
She makes it seem like their pests.
When really most of them are out of homes.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
03:58:00 PM
alyanne Face Hugger Visit alyanne's Photo Album FL, USA 487 Posts
I am the wrong person to help you out here. I'm against anyone young getting gliders if they have to convince their parents. Its absolutely NOTHING against young people but more against the parents. Gliders are extremely expensive and when a parent isn't the one who wants them so badly, when the going gets tough, its the parents (most of the time, I understand its not always) that have to foot the bill. Before any young people get on here and start ranting and raving, I know there are exceptions to the rule but I was a kid once and I know how my parents were and I know how I am now as a parent. Its crappy being a kid when you have to convince your parents you're responsible enough and that whatever it is that you want, is a great idea. I remember those times like it was yesterday and I hated it but you're only a kid for a short time. I know it doesn't seem like it and it feels like it will be forever before you'll get to make your own decisions for yourself but it will happen quicker than you realize. I'm sure you don't want to wait (I don't blame you) but if your Mom needs convincing, thats not a good thing. Maybe try to get her on here and have her chat with some people. She needs to want to commit to this as much as you do and if shes not 100% on board, you might get stuck in a situation where she gets tired of the odor, noise at night with barking, the cost of food ect. You said you always have lots of fruits and veges in the house but theres more to it than having enough fruits and veges in the house. That was my thought (and I'm an adult) that we need fruits and veges in the house anyways for us so it'll be fine but when I'm low on something (like I am now), I need to run out to the store when I don't feel like it because the suggies need to eat tonight. You don't want your Mom to get burdened with them and sick of them and she will, if shes already worried they sound like to much work. I know thats the oposite of what you want to hear. My gliders don't even wake up until 11:30 or later at night and I never even get to see them during the day. I love my gliders but if I didn't want them SOOOO badly but my kids wanted them instead, this wouldn't work out so well. I wish you luck that she will decide that she'd love to have some but if that doesn't happen, don't push her into it, beg, or try to convince her. It wouldn't be fair to her or the gliders. I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted as an answer.
Question
Apr 17 2009
03:59:40 PM
glider_mommy Face Hugger Visit glider_mommy's Photo Album AL, USA 931 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Aly-oop

I should.
I think she looked up videos o youtube,
and seen that stupid lady i an ugly sweater.
I hate her.
She makes it seem like their pests.
When really most of them are out of homes.

That lady representing Expert Village give you pretty accurate information. It may not make them sound like the best pets to your mom but she tells the truth... The good bad and the ugly. SO don't be so quick to bad mouth her. Just cause she isn't telling you what you want your mom to hear doesn't mean she is bad.
Question
Apr 17 2009
04:02:32 PM
guitargeek01 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit guitargeek01's Photo Album guitargeek01's Journal IL, USA 718 Posts
they are HORRIBLE pets for kids. they live to long, most get bored of them after a few years and then they end up back here in the classifieds. gliders leave scratch marks on my arms, take up lots of my time each week, and cost me quite a few bucks every month. im in highschool and its just getting harder with a job and all,plus im petsitting and dog walking more. these are NOT like hamsters that live for 4 years and die, they are with you for a good part of your life.

vet care is expensive-cage is expensive-food (proper food, no staple junk) adds up-bedding-toys-etc....oh i could go on and on about the cons of glider ownership.

i try to warn teens and kids about getting gliders....i got mine when i was about 14.
-Mary

Edited by - guitargeek01 on Apr 17 2009 04:03:58 PM
Question
Apr 17 2009
04:04:21 PM
tisha Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit tisha's Photo Album tisha's Journal OK, USA 2081 Posts
I agree 100% with alyanne. The parent needs to understand what they are getting themselves into. If the parents isn't 100% as enthusiastic as the kid, I say NO. What happens when the kid goes off to college???? Or gets bored of the animal??? So much can happen...Of course there are exceptions. BUT....the best thing is for your mom to come here and see if they are the type of animal that SHE would like to have...because she will have to play a major role with them.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
04:25:47 PM
I'm not like eight? I'm sixteen.
My mom wants one. yes.
We've been talking about getting two,
for two years now.

So chill.
Information
Apr 17 2009
04:45:10 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I got my first glider when I was 16. Long story short he got very sick and we spent well over a thousand dollars in vet bills. My dad wasn't willing to pay those but luckily my boyfriend was 27 and could. Now that I'm in college I seriously regret getting them.

For one, you can't have them on campus. I dont live on campus so thats not an issue for me- may be for others.

My biggest issues are their nocturnal-ness. I am lucky if I can get a full nights sleep on a night before a test or a big assignment is due and the last thing i need is a glider running around peeing on my huge assignments - which has happened, ruined two pages of my draft because I wrote in pen and boy those guys can pee! Or gliders barking to get out of their cage.aw

In high school I made straight A's and barely studied, so I thought for sure college would be just like that, but its not for me at least. I spend 14 hours a week in class and about twice that studying and doing homework.

And what if your glider does live 10 years- will you keep it until you're 26 and possibly starting a family of your own?

Please know that these are all questions I'm asking myself right now. Questions that I should have asked myself before I ever got a glider, but I didn't know any better. I'm starting to grow an allergy to my gliders and they're just hard for me to handle. I have very little social life to begin with since I moved so far away from home but its sort of stressful for me to not be sure if I'm coming home one night and my pets need to be fed, ya know?

I've been considering rehoming them but I love them so much, despite how much of a pain in the ass they are right now.

Personally, I respect your mom for telling you no, thats her way of showing she wants you to be a teenager. Now, I'm engaged to a 30 year (Same guy as above) old and I was always told I was responsible when I was 16 too and I was. I was really responsible and I look back on all the nights I could have went out with friends that i never see any more because my glider (who was sick ,granted) needed me. I don't know, I wish that I could have been more "my age" and I know it wasn't jsut my sick glider that made me grow up quickly...

And if you guys do get gliders, get two. That way you can stay the night with a friend or be too busy for your glider for a few days and it wont get depressed. I have at least 2 gliders in both cages and I dont get them out for days at a time and its no big deal. When you have just one glider its very important to give it about 4-6 hours of attention a day.

Edited by - Ahsaehr on Apr 17 2009 04:49:22 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
05:00:44 PM
Me and Mom already agreed on two.
So thats not a problem.
I agree with some of the points made above with several people.
I'm not a stay at home person,
which could be a problem.
Considering they need constant attention,
but I know my mom and sister would be fine with,
feeding and playing every now and then.
I'm a very nightly person though.
I normaly stay up to eleven-ish.
Also my friend Steven who only lives right down the street,
is always over at the house and doing favors.
Question
Apr 17 2009
06:12:11 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
quote:

My mom wants one. yes.
for two years now.

So chill.

Ok I know everyone else is wanting to say this so I will. Dont come on here asking for our help then telling us to chill when people give their advice.

Apparently if you been talking about them for years and your mom isnt convinced then I guess she doesnt want one like you are saying she does

Maybe if you arent like eight and your sixteen maybe like you should I dont know Act like it?

And the woman from expert village is wanting to make sure she doesnt glamorize these babies like others do.

Grow up and talk to us like the adult you want to be treated as.
Question
Apr 17 2009
07:48:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

quote:

My mom wants one. yes.
for two years now.

So chill.

Ok I know everyone else is wanting to say this so I will. Dont come on here asking for our help then telling us to chill when people give their advice.

Apparently if you been talking about them for years and your mom isnt convinced then I guess she doesnt want one like you are saying she does

Maybe if you arent like eight and your sixteen maybe like you should I dont know Act like it?

And the woman from expert village is wanting to make sure she doesnt glamorize these babies like others do.

OK I am so with everything you just said.. BUT COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE CURTAIN TO SAY IT FOR PETES SAKE... HAVE SOME CONVICTION OF YOUR WORDS!! I mean when you are right you are right and you should be proud of it. lol I WOULD BE!! lol SHOOT.. If I got something to say I don't care who knows I said it. If I sit and take the time to type it out and post it on here it's because I believe in what I said and you will very seldom see me(if ever) apologize for ANYTHING I have said OR try to candy coat it. I will say I am sorry if something I say ticks ya off... but it is what it is and I won't apologize for saying it.

I personally think you just said that REAL well and you should be proud you are the one that said it..lol

SO... Anonymous... COME ON DOWN!! YOU ARE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ONNNNNNNNN... GLIDER GOSSIP!

Edited by - glider_mommy on Apr 17 2009 07:52:35 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
08:02:49 PM
happyhousewife1 Glider 170 Posts
As a mom of 2 kids, I have a farm full of animals that my kids said they would take great care of. They don't!
I do not get the kids in my house any animals anymore. Thanks god I love each of the animals to death. I feed, water and take care of every animal here. I do 2 hours of barn work a day.
Suggies are a forever pet. They aren't like a boyfriend that you can just get rid of. They have feelings too and they get very attached to you.
I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear.
Question
Apr 17 2009
08:16:02 PM
cb38506 Glider Visit cb38506's Photo Album TX, USA 177 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by glider_mommy

quote:

quote:

My mom wants one. yes.
for two years now.

So chill.

OK I am so with everything you just said.. BUT COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE CURTAIN TO SAY IT FOR PETES SAKE... HAVE SOME CONVICTION OF YOUR WORDS!! I mean when you are right you are right and you should be proud of it. lol I WOULD BE!! lol SHOOT.. If I got something to say I don't care who knows I said it. If I sit and take the time to type it out and post it on here it's because I believe in what I said and you will very seldom see me(if ever) apologize for ANYTHING I have said OR try to candy coat it. I will say I am sorry if something I say ticks ya off... but it is what it is and I won't apologize for saying it.

I personally think you just said that REAL well and you should be proud you are the one that said it..lol

SO... Anonymous... COME ON DOWN!! YOU ARE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ONNNNNNNNN... GLIDER GOSSIP!

LOL Abby, I am the one that posted it I just didnt know it came up as anonymosly lol. I am just tired of seeing kids that think they can do everything and anything and that the world is out to get them

Now back to cleaning for hubby's homecoming
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 17 2009
08:27:45 PM
noeld2006 Super Glider GliderMap Visit noeld2006's Photo Album USA 371 Posts
I have to agree with the others, taking care of sugar gliders can be very difficult at times. You really need to think about whether or not they are the right pet for you. Have you thought about going away to college, if so then what will you do with your gliders? Can you afford the pricey exotic vet bills? Can you deal with biting and scratching? What happens when your glider barks at night and you have school in the morning? Sugar gliders can live 10-15 years in captivity. What happens when you get married...will your significant other be ok with having sugar gliders? There are a lot of things you need to think about and your mother should come and talk with some of the members to get a better understanding of what you will be getting in to. Also, remember that while sugar gliders may be cute, they aren't usually cuddly pets. It can take a very long time for them to bond with owners.
Question
Apr 17 2009
08:37:35 PM
ROFL cb38506 that happens to me from time to time.

OMG you took time out of preparing for your hubby??? YOU ARE NUTSY!! lol

Thanks for letting us know you posted that well typed and well put post...
Question
Apr 17 2009
09:57:14 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
quote:

quote:

My mom wants one. yes.
for two years now.

So chill.

I absolutely agree with every word said. I was just getting ready to post something similar myself.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
03:40:07 AM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
I agree with everyone here. Your post is titled "How do I convince my mom?" and then you say "my mom wants one". So which is it? It can't be both. WE can't convince your mom that YOU would be a responsible glider owner, only you can do that. Your mom knows you, we don't. If she's not 100% agreed to glider ownership, you need to look at another pet, one that she'll be willing to take responsibility for.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
08:48:38 AM
lovely1inred Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit lovely1inred's Photo Album 1144 Posts
Mature for 16 doesn't necessarily mean you are completely mature. It means you are more mature than you peers in some way or measure, but it by no means says that you act like an adult or are ready for adult responsibilities. If you have an busy social life at night then I would recommend against getting gliders. You just won't have the time and the gliders will suffer for it. And if it's been an idea tossed around for 2 years sounds like your mom has decided on no already.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2009
06:27:21 PM
KittyKhat Joey NY, USA 32 Posts
Even though I am only 1 year younger than Aly-oop, I would have to agree with what people are saying. They aren't just some pet you want for a day and can forget about it. Your mom would be a big part of it, and it just wouldn't be fair.

Before I got my first glider, my family and I had a longgggg talk over dinner.
Instead of it just being my pet, we made it a family effort.
I was main care giver, but my dad would power rinse the cage, and my mom would help with food. :]

I just think you should be 100% sure about your decision, and if your mom says no, it's probably a good thing. As much as you may not want to think so, your mom knows you best.

And before I make this any longer, Don't expect people to help you anymore if you are going to be rude to them after you ask for advice.
Question
Apr 18 2009
06:53:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KittyKhat

Even though I am only 1 year younger than Aly-oop, I would have to agree with what people are saying. They aren't just some pet you want for a day and can forget about it. Your mom would be a big part of it, and it just wouldn't be fair.

Before I got my first glider, my family and I had a longgggg talk over dinner.
Instead of it just being my pet, we made it a family effort.
I was main care giver, but my dad would power rinse the cage, and my mom would help with food. :]

I just think you should be 100% sure about your decision, and if your mom says no, it's probably a good thing. As much as you may not want to think so, your mom knows you best.

And before I make this any longer, Don't expect people to help you anymore if you are going to be rude to them after you ask for advice.

VERY well said sweetie! I think it's great for aly-oop to hear this from kids close to his own age and... well I was going to say maturity .. but you, rheasha, and Mary have years of maturity on aly-oop if you ask me!
Question
Apr 18 2009
09:52:09 PM
alyanne Face Hugger Visit alyanne's Photo Album FL, USA 487 Posts
quote:

My mom wants one. yes.
for two years now.

So chill.

I myself, wasn't at all thinking you were only 8. I assumed you were probably a teen. Reguardless of age, even if you were 18+, I think of it more in the sence that you still live at home. I'm almost 30 and if I had to move back to my Moms, I couldn't see me being able to take my gliders there with me. It would be an issue and my Mom likes my gliders but she thinks I'm nuts for owning them. They are alot of work and everything that lady says on youtube is unfortunately the truth. I watched her videos too before I got my gliders and she annoyed me also. Now since I own them and I've watched her videos again, I can't help it, shes not saying anything that isn't true. I love my gliders but owning them does come at a cost and its pretty big ones if you're not 1000% on board. My own husband won't feed mine because it takes to long. Its just a matter of fact.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat