Sugar Gliders
Ok we have a sick glider, please help!
Next |
Page: of 3
Health related
Sep 15 2009
08:56:46 PM
Ok so i think that i totaly jinxed myself! I posted something the other day about gliders throwing up....Well guess what..... One of my newest rescues is doing JUST THAT. I put their food in their cage, and i got both of them out to see how they were, and the female starting making funny noises and then saw her throw up!
I cant even think of anything that would have made her do such a thing!!!!
The last thing she was fed was grapes....The green grapes, and the two other darker ones! The male Leo seems ok for now, but Cherry wont even take mealworms! BUT, she does try to eat and drink!!!! She just ends up throwing it up!!!!
Im going to call the vet tomorrow morning if she is still doing this, but man...WTF?!?!?

Anyone have any suggestions?????? Im like freaking out here!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
09:13:37 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
You need to make sure she stays hydrated. Get some pedialite, plain, not diet or flavored. Get a medicine syringe and try getting her to take some through it. You should watch her closely. She did not eat anything she's not accustomed to did she. To much acidy stuff. Change in her diet at all or to qucikly. I don't know what changes have happened to her since you took her in. The hydration part is vital right now. She needs to see a Vet. Get her to one A.S.A.P. please.

I also sent an e-mail to Val, Something to believe in about this thread so she may have alot better things to tell you than me.

This isn't the glider that got in the grass is it?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
09:19:47 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Do you have an emergency vet? Is she hydrated?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
09:20:19 PM
gray_Fox_forever Super Glider Visit gray_Fox_forever's Photo Album USA 352 Posts
Umm, im pretty sure that Leo the male got into the grass, but its hard to say. I am watching them both very very closley!! Freaking paranoid! All that she ate the last two days has been my normal bml mix, and fruit with mealworms on the side.... I gave the same foods to my other gliders and they are all perfectly fine. The only thing i didnt give my other gliders were the grapes. The previous owner said she was on bml so i didnt think there should be any kind of change in her diet....
What does being in the grass have to do with it?? You thinking about chemicals and stuff??? If you are, i am not sure if they did anything to their yard or not.

She tries to eat, and i do see her drinking so thats a good sign. I dont think i even gave her anything to accidy either. I havnt even giving my boys oranges in 2 weeks.....

But yes, shes going to the vet tomorrow anything i can get her in!
Health related
Sep 15 2009
09:47:07 PM
Mont Joey 11 Posts
I saw this article on sugar-gliders.com about grapes; scroll down to the section on "foods NOT to give." Maybe the grapes had some pesticide or plant food residue on them that didn't wash off. Hope they're OK.

Error, missing URL. m
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
09:54:21 PM
gray_Fox_forever Super Glider Visit gray_Fox_forever's Photo Album USA 352 Posts
well i give al of my suggies grapes and never really have a problem with them at all. Just this particular occation....
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
09:56:39 PM
Something_To_Believe_In Face Hugger Visit Something_To_Believe_In's Photo Album 647 Posts
If she is throwing up, she needs to see a vet NOW, not tomorrow morning. Sorry, but that is truly the very best thing you can do for her.

If you are not going to get her to a vet, then keep her hydrated and warm and pray for the best. The very best shot she has at making it through the night is to see a vet right now.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
10:00:13 PM
im trying to get ahold of the emergency vet one call....... They are calling the oncall vet and are going to call me back asap!
We will see what happens from here!!!!

Im just pissed because i have no idea what would cause this!!!!! I swear i had to jinx myself!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
10:07:55 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
I'll be praying for her gray fox!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
10:15:55 PM
Ok, got ahold of the on call emergency vet and im getting ready to take her in. And it must be my lucky day because the lead exotic vet is the one thats one call :-D
Ill update asap!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
10:32:31 PM
our2girlz Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit our2girlz's Photo Album United States 2362 Posts
Good luck!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 15 2009
10:49:32 PM
sbear3s Face Hugger Visit sbear3s's Photo Album 745 Posts
Good luck. I'll keep her in my prayers.
Health related
Sep 15 2009
11:38:36 PM
sugar-mommy2 Super Glider Visit sugar-mommy2's Photo Album IN, USA 279 Posts
How scary for you. I hope all turns out okay and please keep us updated.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
07:04:17 AM
Ok so here is an update. Cherry the female seems to be doing ok now and the vet said that she hasn't thrown up in awhile. She seems to be able to hold her food Down now. However, now the male Leo was doing the same thing but I took them both in last night so they are taking care of him!
I just want to know wth caused this!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
07:54:35 AM
Ok here is something else that i just noticed when i was inspecting the cages of my sick gliders.... I did notice that there was some feecies / poop on the food plate.... My other gliders never do this.... The gliders that are sick were used to being fed in small dishes rather than on a food plate.
Do any of you think that this could have anything to do with it?????
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
08:03:27 AM
glider_mommy Face Hugger Visit glider_mommy's Photo Album AL, USA 931 Posts
Something that I do to avoid poop in food dishes is to feed them up high in the cage. I put a shelf in my cage for them to eat on and so we don't have any problems with poop on food dishes. When the food bowls are low or on the floor of the cage and the suggies are climbing up high and ofcourse they poop it can drop into the food. So that would be my best suggestion for keeping poop out of the food.
Health related
Sep 16 2009
08:19:21 AM
Mom2MandG Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Mom2MandG's Photo Album 766 Posts
That must have been scary. It is interesting that you just posted about whether or not they could throw up and then yours do. I hope the male is better now. Will be checking back for updates.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
09:10:03 AM
Dahlia_2020 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Dahlia_2020's Photo Album SC, USA 1419 Posts
It's pretty common for these guys to poop in their food. That didn't have anything to do with them throwing up. This is such an odd case. I'm thinking either some type of toxicity or possibly parasites. But toxicity would be my primary concern. There HAS to be something that these guys got into. Something that affected the girl first, then hit the male. I would think something in the food or water but if you have other gliders eating the same foods and all of them are fine, then that doesn't make sense. I would throw those grapes out regardless though, just on principal alone. It's already been determined that grapes are poisonous to some animals (dogs for example) and many vets and breeders are speculating as to whether or not grapes might also to be to blame for the deaths of gliders, causing kidney failure. Until they can prove if this is true or not, I'm staying away from grapes and most exotic vets will tell you to do the same thing.
Health related
Sep 16 2009
09:43:33 AM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
I doubt that grapes did this. It's my guess that they may have had a parasite of some type lying dormant, and then the stress of the move may have triggered overgrowth or flare up.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
09:46:22 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Did they do a fecal or did they say they are testing for anything specific?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
10:02:06 AM
Dahlia_2020 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Dahlia_2020's Photo Album SC, USA 1419 Posts
I'm not saying the grapes did this. I don't think that's what's causing the problem. I was just elaborating further upon what was mentioned at the beginning of the thread about grapes.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
10:25:32 AM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
I'm sorry, Dahlia. I misread your post! D'oh!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
10:54:34 AM
i have always used grapes with my boys...never bother them at all. I only give them once a week though.... But thats beside the point here.
So here is a bit of an update.....
Girl, Cherry, was throwing up last night, and seems to not be throwing up anymore thanks god... But she seems a bit "shakey" kinda wobbly right now.
The boy, Leo, was fine, until this morning the vet said he started to throw up. and seems to be done puking but is acting like Cherry is kinda wobbly.
I was just at the vets to visit them and see how they were doing.... The onnly thing i was unhappy about was that they were in a 10 gallon aquarium................

The vet is going to do a Fecal Float and Smear. I havnt even had them long enough to get them into the vet yet lol. Their appointment was scheduled for Thursday!!!! BAAH!
As a responce to someone saying about having their food up high, their food dish is as high as i can get it on their top shelf, so thats the best i can get it. I never had my other gliders deficate on their food plates before, so i never worried about it with these two. But then again, someone stated an above post that the defications in their food area shouldnt be the problem here, but maybe there is a chance??? i have not had the luxery of dealing with a sick glider before so i have no clue.

The vet also told me that he wants to get them in an exray just to make sure they didnt get into something they shouldn't have which we all know these little buggers are great at doing lol! He's giving me a good deal on the xrays so that will hopefully bring the bill down a little bit.... He also wanted to sedate them a little bit so he could get a good exray without them moving because they are still really scared and wont sit still! Thank god for savings accounts lol!

I talked to the old owner and she said that to her knowledge the grass has NOT been treated with chemicals at all so at least we can hopefully cross that off of the list.

But while they are gone, im doing a complete scrub down of their cage and washing all of their stuff to make sure if there was a disease or something that its out of their living space. Do you guys agree or do you think it might be too much added stress for them to come home to their cage without their scents on it??????

Its so "funny" that this happened right after i asked the question about throwing up, well a few days later lol. Its like my job workingon computers....people call me with a problem, i show up and its working 100%. and as soon as i leave, its going nuts again. Same thing with these gliders...as soon as i ask a good question to know the answer to, it happens!!! Im just a big ball of stress right now.........GRRR!!!! I just Hope my babies are ok!!!!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
01:08:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about it being too stressful for them to come home to a clean cage. In fact, I would really be inclined to do exactly the same thing, and have done the same thing every time new gliders came into the house. I recommend using Dawn dish soap, rinsing thoroughly, then using a 10% bleach solution. Let it sit on the cage wet for a few minutes, and then rinse it thoroughly.

I'd do the same for any toys.

With the bedding, make sure you put it in the dryer. That way, if the illness was caused by a parasite, there's a good chance the heat will kill it.

I know everyone says not to wash everything at once, but in a situation like this, all that goes out the window, in my opinion. You can stage your cleaning later, once your babies are healthy.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
01:28:02 PM
Shoot, I never prescribed to the idea of cleaning my glider cages in stages, but that's just me. I'm a bit (bit... Ha!) OCD about cleaning, and my cages and toys get a complete scrub down every three to four days with the exception of the fleece toys and pouches which I don't clean until I notice a strong smell emitting from them, which is about once every three to four weeks, sometimes longer. If I clean the cage this freqently I never notice a smell. I don't know if once every three or four days is keeping it at bay, or if maybe after being with me and my need to keep everything clean for seven months if my boy has just given up trying! Lol! But I do respect his pouch and leave it alone as long as possible so maybe that's enough to make him happy.

Was there maybe something in the car that they might have been exposed to? Ask the previous owner if they got loose in their house when they were trying to get them ready for you. Maybe they got into something then. This might be parasites, but darn if it doesn't sound like some type of toxicity. Especially since it's happening to both of them. I hope your vet is experienced enough to know how to get to the bottom of this and quick.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
02:17:13 PM
I just called the vet to get an update, but they didnt have a direct update ready for me. They said that the doctor will be calling me at 4pm with an update on the gliders so we will know more then!

Does everyone agree with what Mollysmom said about cleaning the cages???? If i have to keep them overnight, i will probably do so unless you guys dont think its the best thing to do? Personally, its a new house, new cage, and new everything so if they were only in my care for 3-4 days, they are not going to have much marked so i personally think it would be ok to just wash everything...... Agree?????
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
02:36:46 PM
SariYappa Face Hugger Visit SariYappa's Photo Album USA 413 Posts
Hi gray fox. I am so sorry this is happening to your babies. Yes, I say CLEAN EVERYTHING! There is always an exception to the rule, and this is clearly it. When they have Giardia, you actually have to do it EVERYDAY, and they survive. I'll be looking for your update, and am sending lots of positive energy your way {{{hugs}}}
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
03:05:00 PM
Gray Fox....I would like to add about the grass. I know I asked last night about it in the beginning. You picked your babies up in the Richmond or D.C. area correct? They spray chemicals in trucks through neighborhoods here in Virginia. I live here so I know. If the neighborhood has been sprayed by a mosquito truck that chemical settles into the grass. That is my biggest concern about mentioning the grass. I would be scared for my babies to get into my grass because of this myself. They just sprayed here about a week ago for the 10th time this year.

Still praying for your babies.
Health related
Sep 16 2009
03:28:49 PM
sugar-mommy2 Super Glider Visit sugar-mommy2's Photo Album IN, USA 279 Posts
I definately agree with Mollysmom I would wash everything. Do not want to take any chances.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
09:41:56 PM
sbear3s Face Hugger Visit sbear3s's Photo Album 745 Posts
Poor babies. Hugs to you gray fox. Have you heard anything new?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 16 2009
09:41:56 PM
Ok, its been a while, but we have an update!!!

Both Suggies are at home and resting.
The Vet said that Cherry seems to have some kind of Gastro-intestinal infection, and the xrays are showing that she has a lot of gassey build up... Made me chuckle a bit....girls never get gas and fart do they....lol!
Leo's xrays turned out fine......

Vet said they could have ate something that they could have gotten into, but nothing seems to be blocking the passageways to the intestins or anything as they are pooping and peeing like its going out of style lol....not really, just going like usual, just a being silly :P
Both gliders are trying to eat and keep themselves hydrated. I see thhem trying to eat and drink all the time, so i know they are trying to get better.

The vet put them on these two medications:
Trimethoprim-Sulfa Liquid- .05 cc once a day for each glider I Believe this is the antibiotic....
Reglan Liquid- (1M/11.5 H20) This is for the throwing up... I give .05 ml every 8-12 hours for vomitting.

Both are home and sleeping and so far i have not seen throwing up.
But i still do have once concern.... They seem very shakey and wabbly..... Anyone have any ideas?
They are hydrated and eating...could just from being sick like we get sometimes????

Goldwinger: I was not aware that Virginia did things like that to their grass for mosquitos. It was like 30 minutes past richmond or before richmond, something like that. So i am not sure if they do that where they used to live, but that does make me wonder now. It might make sense that even if the glider was not in the grass long, the shere fact that the chemicles could have gotton onto his body....self grooming could have gotten them inside the body.......its definitially plausable!

So on that note, i really hope this medication works. Freaking vet bill was 230 bucks! Im doing whatever i can do for these gliders! They better know their new daddy cares alot!!!! Still really stressful though!

going to try to get some sleep and not worrying too much.... Please keep us in your suggie prayers!!!!
Next |
Page: of 3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders