Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I really need help PLEASE I am sitting here crying my eyes out
Information
Dec 01 2009
09:59:44 PM
I have 5 sugar babies and they are all in the same cage (2 males and 3 females) well apparently 1 or 2 of the females are pregnant, but today I came home and there was a little embreo(I guess) laying on the ground and when I opened their tent there was one laying in there. I heard them fighting so I went to check and the one in the tent was being eaten by another that lost her baby about 3 weeks ago...what do I do?

Edited by - sugarmom on Dec 01 2009 10:15:42 PM
Information
Dec 01 2009
10:03:48 PM
fadedrainbows Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit fadedrainbows's Photo Album fadedrainbows's Journal USA 819 Posts
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm
That link will tell you how to hand raise the joey if it's still alive. Other than that you can't really do anything for the babies. They're not attached to the nipple so that means the mother rejected them. That could mean that your gliders are all related and you need to get the two males neutered ASAP.

I'm sure some more experienced suggie parents will be along soon to add to what I have.
Information
Dec 01 2009
10:07:28 PM
sugarmom Joey Visit sugarmom's Photo Album 32 Posts
None of them are related. I just started rescuing single ones about six months ago and was just gonna stay with these..I have one male that I just took to they vet that's been having problems pooing so they wanted me to hold off on having him fixed.. They just started getting pregnant for the first time and I've been so excited, but now I just don't know what to do..the babies arent't even really formed completely yet but I can tell they are babies

Edited by - sugarmom on Dec 01 2009 10:08:51 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:16:35 PM
I will give my phone number to someone if they can talk to me about this.....I don't know what to do
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:23:29 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I believe Suz has an emergency number listed on her site. I don't know that there is anything you CAN do, honestly. If joeys are being rejected, there is a reason why...stress, diet, age... Only they know for sure. I'm sorry I can't be more help.
Information
Dec 01 2009
10:27:17 PM
Can another female take a babie from one of the other females? you can tell my little girl bella is looking for (I guess) her baby. Is that poosible?
Information
Dec 01 2009
10:27:45 PM
graciedawn Super Glider GliderMap Visit graciedawn's Photo Album 222 Posts
Read the link that you have been given. It is full of great information. I have been hand-raising a joey since he was 2 weeks OOP and he is now 12 weeks and doing great. That is not how it goes for everyone. If the joeys were too young to save than there is nothing that you could have done for those babies. If there was something wrong with the joeys, that the mom sensed then that could be the reason that they were rejected. Can you separate the males so that the females don't get pregnant again, until you can have them neutered? That may prevent future pregnancies and/or rejections. I am so sorry that you are having to experience this.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:29:03 PM
Yoshi Glider GliderMap LA, USA 87 Posts
Yes, they can. They might snatch the joeys from each other... This is why most of the time when people breed they just keep breeding pairs, one male and one female. There's no need to have trios or more females in the cage.

You should probably separate your male glider from the females until you're able to get him neutered, that way no one else will get pregnant and this can't happen anymore.
Information
Dec 01 2009
10:32:02 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
You really need to separate them and get the boys neutered. Putting 2 un-neutered males in with females is asking for trouble. Im sorry, Im certain you didnt know that or you wouldnt have done it this way.

Please separate them as soon as possible.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:36:00 PM
I think Bella still has one in her pouch so should I put her in a cage by herself til she has the baby come out of the puch?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:40:13 PM
No I didn't know that I had just read that they lived in colonies so I thought they would all be fine in there and believe me I have done my research but, this is one thing I haven't experienced or read about. these babies are nowhere near ready to come out of the pouch.. Will it upset them if I seperate them?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:47:14 PM
skittlesandpeanut Super Glider GliderMap skittlesandpeanut's Journal USA 227 Posts
I cant imagine how tramitic that much have been to see the baby being eaten. It makes me cry just thinking of it. But as other people have said they are wild animals and they kno what they are doing most of the time. Sometimes we need to just let nature take its course, and not interfere. However if the suggies lleft can be saved still i pray that you are able to nurse them back to health. I've read some wonderful posts on here about just that type of thing. Can you take the baby to a vet asap???
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 01 2009
10:53:01 PM
I think bella still has a baby in her pouch but I 'm not sure. I'm just wondering should I seperate her from the rest until I know for sure or until a baby comes out of the pouch or would it be to tramatic for her to be by herself? It was the most heart breaking things I've ever seen and then seeing Bella searchiing for it.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 02 2009
12:16:04 AM
fadedrainbows Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit fadedrainbows's Photo Album fadedrainbows's Journal USA 819 Posts
bumping for sugarmom. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. My personal opinion would be yes, separate her from the others. If the other females are trying to steal each others babies then you need to get her away from them.
Information
Dec 02 2009
11:15:29 AM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts

I would call Suz.

sugarglidersuz@yahoo.com

GliderCENTRAL

U could look under this posting for some info help.

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15260

Edited by - THEHYLAND on Dec 02 2009 11:25:59 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders