Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
He's acting strange....help!
Health related
Jan 01 2010
07:14:52 PM
He's sleeping on the side of the cage like clung to the wall...normally hes in the pouch but hes been sleeping in wierd places today. I found him sleeping on the edge of the pouch and he fell out...then he was sleeping on the heat rock which isn't normal but I just figured he didnt know it was there yet and now he sleeping on the side....HELP! Should I be worried...like I am now?

Edited by - TrishaB92 on Jan 01 2010 08:06:16 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:22:15 PM
TheGliderGuy Glider Visit TheGliderGuy's Photo Album 118 Posts
Trisha, this is a very odd behavior for a glider. I'd check to see if he is hydrated my gently pinching the fur in between his shoulders. If in pull back right away then he is hydrated and does not need to be sub-qed, if it takes awhile to go back down he needs a vet ASAP. Also I'd still take him into your vets with a fecal sample intow to be scanned and have a wellness exam done.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:24:31 PM
Wait heat rock? That is very very very dangerous for him, I'm guessing you've bought him from PPP Perfict Pocket Pets and well know mill-breeder. Trust me everything they have told you about your little glider is a lie and he may very well be sick, please take him to an exotic vet in your area. If you do not have one I will try to find one in your area for you.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:28:54 PM
TrishaB92 Joey Visit TrishaB92's Photo Album 42 Posts
I actually bought him from a women on craigslist. My friend bought hers from the PPP people and told me to get a heat rock...and I still havent found a vet around me so that would be helpful. Thanks
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:30:32 PM
Trisha, please throw that rock out I'll find you links to explain just how bad PPP is but to find you a vet I need the area where you live.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:34:16 PM
I live in the syracuse, ny area.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:35:54 PM
I think I have found the problem...The apple juice I give him in his bml and i mix a little in his water sometimes...went bad.It had to have happened in the last day or so because It wasn't bad but now it is...I feel terrible how could I have not checked!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:37:42 PM
Here is a link to multiple vets in the Syracuse area.

Error, missing URL. l
Information
Jan 01 2010
07:37:54 PM
44rainclouds Glider GliderMap Visit 44rainclouds's Photo Album KY, USA 152 Posts
I know hes your only sugar glider right now, so have you bonded yet? Or does he trust you enough to hold him?
Check and see if he feels cold, or if he reacts to your interactions with him.

If hes cold and/or doesn't react you need to get to a vet ASAP. (as soon as you find one.)

Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:39:29 PM
44rainclouds Glider GliderMap Visit 44rainclouds's Photo Album KY, USA 152 Posts
Change the water.
And only put in Fresh water, adding sugars and other things to his water isnt good for him, and when left in bottles it molds and causes bacteria that will make him sick.

He should only have clean water in his water bottles, nothing added.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:39:59 PM
Is there an update on Sydney at all? Have you tone the tent test? Also keep him on you, ether in your bra or in a bonding pouch close to your heart for extra warmth.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:42:23 PM
suggiemom1980 Glider IN, USA 68 Posts
Gliders dehydrate very quickly. Keep two water bottles in their cage at all times with fresh water, in case one malfunctions or leaks. I check bottles at least twice a day. In the morning when I remove their food dishes and at night when I feed them.
Since he is probably dehydrated, give him plain pedialyte or G2 (from gatorade).
TheGliderGuy is absolutely right about the heat rock and PPP. Both are very dangerous for gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:43:16 PM
I changed the water now...but yeah I just got him and we've been having bonding problems he doesnt want me near him. He's just staying curled up on the side of the cage. I've never done a tent playdate yet because I we're still working on the bonding thing.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:48:21 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I agree completely
Question
Jan 01 2010
07:53:09 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
Oh brother
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:54:37 PM
Unforunatly It being late and a holiday I doubt I can get him in...But I watch him all night and if he's still bad take him tomorrow morning as soon as they open.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
07:58:14 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
An emergency vet should take you any time. Is this the time of night he's usually really active? Is he eating or drinking? If not, you should not wait.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:00:42 PM
It isn't...he get active around 10-11 sometimes 12 he usually sleeps late...hes awake now but not moving.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:22:29 PM
I'm getting pedialyte...then I will get him to drink as much as I can...he should wake up in an hour or less...I'll see if he plays or anythings. I changed his water and turned off the rock I will take it out but I tried and he freaked so it's off for now. He is extra crabby and I figure it's because he's sick. He doesn't seem to be dyhyrated but I'll keep checking on that. Could it be he just has a stomach ache? Theres no diahera or anything.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:34:19 PM
make sure the pedialyte is unflavored.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:38:05 PM
Okay thank you...He seems to be up and moving around...not like usual with the crazy jumping but still.
Health related
Jan 01 2010
08:39:04 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Trisha - those are questions we cant answer for you as we are not vets. The behavior you described is not normal for a glider. He really needs to be seen by a vet.

Please take the heat rock out of the cage - its to dangerous. He isnt freaking over the heat rock - he is freaking because he is alone and afraid and probably sick from drinking spoiled applejuice.

Give him plain water only. Never put anything in the drinking water. And always have 2 water bottles in case one malfunctions.

Can you get your friend to join this site? Im certain she was given bad information, too. The two of you are not alone as I also purchased a heat rock when I got my first glider.

Please get your glider to a vet asap in the morning. Watch him overnight very closely. If he feels cold, put him in your bra so he can get your body warmth. And make certain he is drinking.

Keep us updated on him.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:39:28 PM
I can assure you it is not a stomach ache, gliders in the wild and prey animals. And being colonial if one starts to show signs of being ill or hurt the rest of the colony kicks the sick/injured one out of the colony, so when gliders start to show signs of illness or odd behavior it can be a matter of hours before your glider passes. They can hide illness for days if not weeks, I HIGHLY suggest you take your little boy to an emergency clinic or even try to call a vet at home. Normally there are alternative numbers saved on the answering machine in case of an emergency.

Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:42:17 PM
Well hes doing good now.
Health related
Jan 01 2010
08:44:07 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
If you can tell us the city and state you are in, we will help you find an emergency vet/
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:45:41 PM
Of course.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:45:43 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
Gliders are notorious for hiding their illnesses....
Something caused him to act off earlier. You need to figure out what it was.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:45:58 PM
Syracuse, Ny. As far as my friend goes I've tried to tell her shes mixed up but she's set that everything they said is right.
Health related
Jan 01 2010
08:57:19 PM
Here is a link to some vets in Syracuse:

http://www.yellowbot.com/browse/veterinarian/Syracuse,%20NY/page1.html

You can call them and ask if they see sugar gliders - and if they are 24 hour emergency vets.
Health related
Jan 01 2010
09:13:08 PM
Dahlia_2020 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Dahlia_2020's Photo Album SC, USA 1419 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by TrishaB92

Syracuse, Ny. As far as my friend goes I've tried to tell her shes mixed up but she's set that everything they said is right.

ugh. Of course she is. Because of course a bunch of money hungry mill breeder employed idiots who are paid to say whatever their boss tells them are FAR more knowledgable than individuals here on this forum who have been personally caring for multiple gliders for years, in some cases a decade or more. Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

Do me a favor, Trisha... If she continues to hold onto the ridiculous sales pitch that she was given by those evil b@stards, And won't even consider coming here to see for HERSELF what there is to be said about the PPP, then you go ahead and tell her to expect for her gliders to be dead within two years. And be sure to remind her of this moment when she calls you crying.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it PISSES me off when people who have bought into the PPP bulls$#* won't even consider investigating both sides of the story. I have nothing against people who get duped by the PPP. Most of us have experienced this (myself included, although I never bought from them) But it is highly frustrating to deal with the close-minded individuals who won't even consider that they were possibly lied to.

THERE IS A REASON THE PPP TELLS ITS BUYERS TO NOT GO ONLINE.

Think about it. And tell her we will be here when she's ready to ask the hard questions. Even if that question is "Why did my babies die?"

Edited by - Dahlia_2020 on Jan 01 2010 09:16:44 PM
Health related
Jan 01 2010
09:21:29 PM
Trisha - as soon as you get your glider to the vet and he/she is feeling better, we really need to talk about the diet you are feeding. I would almost bet its some kind of pellets that were sold to you - and are not good for the gliders...

Sorry, we dont mean to overwhelm you - but these little guys have very special dietary needs in order to live a long, happy, health life.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders