Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Heat Rocks?
Heat Rocks?
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:28:26 PM
Can someone tell me why heat rocks are so bad? I think I have been giving bad information, but he seems to like it.
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:30:45 PM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
He likes it because he doesn't have a friend to keep him warm.

It is dangerous because he could get burnt or chew the wires.

Any info that you received that has originated from the 3 P's should be assumed incorrect. The more you question, the better it is for your little friend.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:31:19 PM
bobnzoey Face Hugger GliderMap Visit bobnzoey's Photo Album bobnzoey's Journal IL, USA 539 Posts
they can easily get burnt and if they chew on the cord they can get hurt
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:31:46 PM
Mom2MandG Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Mom2MandG's Photo Album 766 Posts
They can become too hot and burn your glider. I was given bad information as well and used mine until I learned not to from the people here. Mine seemed to like it as well, but they were fine without it.
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:32:28 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Heat rocks are bad because they are electric. You NEVER want to put anything electric in a gliders cage. They can chew the cord and either get badly burned or electrocuted.

The only reason heat rocks are sold with gliders (from glider mills) is because the gliders they sell are to young to be separated from their parents and cant maintain their body temperature.

If you have one in your cage, you really should take it out. It is just to dangerous.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:33:27 PM
TrishaB92 Joey Visit TrishaB92's Photo Album 42 Posts
Why can't I put a piece of cloth over it? I'm just worried he won't be warm enough
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:34:39 PM
bobnzoey Face Hugger GliderMap Visit bobnzoey's Photo Album bobnzoey's Journal IL, USA 539 Posts
the cloth can come off to easily because if he is like my gliders they carry their blankies around he will be just fine as long as he has blankies with him
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:34:50 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
Okay -- a few things could happen with a heat rock:

1. he could get burnt even with cloth wrapped around it
2. it could short out
3. he could chew on the cord

very very dangerous....
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:34:54 PM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
It would be much safer if you'd just put some "blankets" in their for him. Little pieces of fleece work well.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:37:04 PM
Could I make fleece pockets and put hand warmers in them?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:38:11 PM
i make pouches with those pockets i sell them for 10 a piece with shipping included PM me if intrested
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:38:34 PM
Mrpianowizard Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Mrpianowizard's Photo Album Mrpianowizard's Journal 572 Posts
Easy yet not easy answer/question: Why not get him a friend? (I am not meaning for that to bring across a negative connotation, I'm just simply wondering) Gliders are colony animals and it would be really good to get him a friend. I learned a long time ago that they need a buddy lol. :)
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
08:41:17 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
He needs a double fleece sleeping pouch with lots of little fleece squares (blankets) to keep him warm

And he needs a friend. Gliders are colony animals and do not do well alone. Right now he is frightened and lonely.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
08:44:58 PM
I know...I didn't know about how bad it is without two but I live in Ny and it was hard to find him alone...now I don't have the 200 dollars to get another one...if I had it I certainly would. I feel like I'm not doing enough for him, like I can't...I'm debating finding another great home for him...I don't feel adequete.
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
09:01:20 PM
Trisha - there are many people every day who discover gliders are not for them. Start looking on Craigslist and Hoobly. Look in the animal classifieds here and make your own post that you are looking for another glider.

You will be amazed how many people are willing to give them up to a good home for little or no charge. The last two gliders I got didnt cost me a penny.

But remember - there is no such thing as a free glider! Both gliders will need vet checks and fecals done. And you will need two cages in order to do proper quarantine time and introductions. You cant just put two gliders together - it has to be done in stages.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
09:05:51 PM
When looking for another glider, must they be the same age?
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
09:07:02 PM
They dont have to be the same age - but they should be around the same size.

It would be best for you to get the same sex as the glider you now have. Breeding gliders is really not for most new owners.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
09:09:53 PM
Okay thank you!
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
09:14:25 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
The glider doesn't even have to "chew" the cord, one bite will kill them. I have 9 gliders right now and didn't buy any of them. Be a little patient and find a rescue. I live in a 1950's house that gets sorta cold at night, they seem to get a little fluffier in the winter time.
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
09:17:56 PM
I didnt buy my last two either. One was in the animal classifieds here and I found the other on the classifieds on Glider Central.

Also check Hoobly and Craigslist...
Research Information
Jan 01 2010
09:35:04 PM
I didn't buy my last two either -- and they came with their Excel cage and all their belongings!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
09:37:47 PM
I have found another one for 100 not far from me so I think I will do that...I thought about selling him but could a mother sell her newborn child when she discovers its not exactly what she thought...certainly not!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
09:40:13 PM
PW Face Hugger Visit PW's Photo Album 559 Posts
Trisha, sadly my first glider lived three years alone in a huge cage, she never needed a heat rock or anything like it. If you provide a good warm fleece pouch, your baby will do fine. however you really should get a friend for him/her. My first glider was so much happier as soon as she could see her friend.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2010
09:45:38 PM
PW Face Hugger Visit PW's Photo Album 559 Posts
Sometimes you can find them on petfinder as well
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2010
12:31:17 AM
Mikayle Glider GliderMap Visit Mikayle's Photo Album USA 196 Posts
Try Kijji and hoobly also. I had a add up to find mine a cage mate. It took awhile. However, I bought my twin babies and did not pay for the mom and dad or their cages and toys I just met up with him in california a week later I got three more cages toys everything no money just to a good home they even brought them to my house from california.. If you are close to a neighboring state see if they will meet you half way even..
Heat Rocks?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Heat Rocks?