Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Meal-worm farm overpopulation
Question
Apr 07 2010
11:13:49 PM
Any ideas on how to fix this problem? I was told that I would have issues with underpopulation but not overpopulation. I'm not sure how many cycles the farm has gone through or for how long I have had my farm. It's been a long time, I know that.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:16:09 PM
SariYappa Face Hugger Visit SariYappa's Photo Album USA 413 Posts
Yep... when this happens, I put an add on Craigslist, and all the finch owners, suggie owners and reptile owners jump on the opportunity for cheap mealies! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:16:43 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Catman donates some to local rescues when he isn't eating the excess. ;) Maybe you could do that (donate, not eat!) or maybe some members that live near you would want to purchase some.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:25:52 PM
Great suggestions Kyro, I forgot about that!
Usually I have 10's of thousands left after I give to friends and rescues! (this happens about every 4 months or so).

And umm, yeah, you can eat them too?! LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:27:11 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Only Scott eats them, not me LOL I have to find that video...
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:32:46 PM
Moriko Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Moriko's Photo Album Moriko's Journal AL, USA 943 Posts
A guy that is a regular in my local pet store has to sample one from the container before he will buy the whole thing. It is amusing. I think I will do all of these things. I have wayyy too many.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:36:57 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
too bad you are in Alabama! I'd take some!

Another way to deal with excess mealies is get more gliders! :)

I have never had a problem with excess meal worms.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:39:06 PM
Oh yeah, and I also throw them around the backyard after I left the dogs in. The birdies LOVE them, and the squirrels too! (of course, if you don't want birds and squirrels in your yard, then DON'T do that!) LOL

On a side note, you said you'll do ALL of those things... does that include eating them?? (HeeHee)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:49:37 PM
Moriko Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Moriko's Photo Album Moriko's Journal AL, USA 943 Posts
valkyriemome: I am actually looking for one to two females at the moment, but the people I have e-mailed seem to not use their e-mail very often.

SariYappa: Well, if I had a yard, I would do this. I love birds and squirrels. I'd feel bad throwing them outside of my apartment onto the concrete.. I sadly get attached to these guys. Stupid me. I don't think I could ever eat a meal-worm... well.. I would have to be VERY hungry. lol.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:51:03 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
Scott (who is not here yet but might be at some point), are mealies yummy?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2010
11:51:39 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
you folks that are having such excess, please share on how you are achieving this.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2010
01:15:31 PM
I have no idea, it just happens. T_T
Question
Apr 08 2010
03:57:28 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by WintersSong

Scott (who is not here yet but might be at some point), are mealies yummy?

LOL they tastes like string beans,seriously!

Be careful if you offer them to wildlife rehabbers. It only takes 2 or 3 rehabbers to wipe out your supply in like a week. Most of them would go through 2-3 thousand a week easy in the Spring time.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2010
04:03:03 PM
Wow@string beans. I never thought they would taste like that.. and I don't want to figure that out for myself. I'm going to be honest though, I am curious. Hah.

I have an abundance, but only about an extra 2 thousand.
Question
Apr 09 2010
12:01:01 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SariYappa

Great suggestions Kyro, I forgot about that!
Usually I have 10's of thousands left after I give to friends and rescues! (this happens about every 4 months or so).

And umm, yeah, you can eat them too?! LOL

Here's the post with catmans video =]

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26996
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2010
02:45:51 PM
I just bookmarked that post for the video.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2010
09:42:43 PM
johnsons8807 Joey Visit johnsons8807's Photo Album johnsons8807's Journal 38 Posts
I just have a few questions about these meal worms. I recently bought my first 150 meal worms from the pet store. I put them in a thing with some oats and so far they are doing great. I was going to try to start raising them myself but do they turn into bettles before turning into meal worms again.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2010
10:00:27 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
go look at kazko's album and you will see what his mealworm farm looks like.
Information
Apr 09 2010
11:25:05 PM
Having a meal-worm farm is all about patience. There are four stages to this creature. The egg, the worm, the pupae and lastly the beetle.

This post explains everything in a simple way for you. This is exactly how I have mine except for the holes and a secret bedding I have for them. =)
http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?WormFarm
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2010
11:26:29 PM
I have another question also for you guys. My local pet shop wants to buy from me.. and I'm pretty sure I need a license to sell even meal-worms, but I'm not sure. Do I?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 10 2010
08:21:38 AM
johnsons8807 Joey Visit johnsons8807's Photo Album johnsons8807's Journal 38 Posts
Sorry I did not even realize at the time that I spelled bettle like that.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
11:41:23 AM
no1sweety Joey Visit no1sweety's Photo Album 11 Posts
This is a good website to buy mealworms, they are nice and organic no pesticides! mealiesbysarah.ecrater.com/ My sugar gliders love them!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders