Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
~what water is safe to drink for gliders?
Question
Aug 10 2010
10:06:35 AM
I've read up on this and there seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas as to what water is safe for suggies to drink. I was recently asked and I tried a search here but didn't find a thread on safe drinking water so here goes, what water is safe to drink for gliders?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
10:11:15 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
10:12:15 AM
H Super Glider Visit H's Photo Album 281 Posts
I use bottled or filtered water.
Question
Aug 10 2010
10:13:28 AM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
I use tap too, but I know that the water in my area isn't infused with chemicals so it's okay.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
10:15:50 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I guess it's like asking what's the best diet.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
10:35:52 AM
~SG~ Face Hugger Visit ~SG~'s Photo Album USA 590 Posts
yeah but I would like to hear everyone's opinions and why they choose that
Question
Aug 10 2010
11:25:12 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
My gliders get bottle water. *I* wont even drink our water. <<sigh>>
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
11:48:46 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Water is a matter of your personal preference.

I use tap water - we do have a whole house filter system.

If you normally drink your own tap water, it is probably fine for your gliders as well.

If you have your own well for drinking water, and have it tested regularly for any possible parasites, bacteria or other contaminates - it can be used for gliders.

Most bottled water - read the labels - IS tap water.

You should not use distilled water as it is acidic after having all minerals removed from it - not good for people either.

If you usually use bottled water - it is fine to use for your gliders but not a necessity. That is your preference and you are free to choose this for your gliders as well.
Question
Aug 10 2010
01:14:43 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I have always used tap for my zoo and myself. Unless there is a blatant water problem, any difference between public and bottled water wouldnt amount to much as far as measurable longevity or quality of life. But that is always your choice.

quote:
Originally posted by Candy
You should not use distilled water as it is acidic after having all minerals removed from it - not good for people either.

I have never heard of this. Water being acidic by nature? I thought that clear water would be something in the middle like a PH of 7 by default. I think milk for instance is actually slightly acidic. So I guess your statement is true though that less matter in the water would raise the relative acid rating but in human tangible terms it doesnt make it acidic or bad. It makes it less alkaline but doesnt make it acidic.

The only reason I know of that distilled water is requested to refill lead acid batteries is not because it is more acidic, but because it needs to be clear of minerals so that it can be as effective as possible inside the battery system.

One thing I think you can surely say is that distilled water will be lack of general natural minerals which could lead to long term deficiencies of these items that all of our earthly bodies need. When you try to take out the bad stuff, you are also absolutely taking out anything good. Perhaps this is a worthy discussion related to our little calcium and mineral deficient sugar gliders. Seeing as how I do not supplement, perhaps the tap water is giving just enough of a broad spectrum of minerals for them to stay healthy.

Do you have more to share on this concept of 'acidic' distilled water?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
01:23:45 PM
I know we have to use distilled water to calibrate our refractometers but I'm not sure why.
Food, Diet
Aug 10 2010
01:29:29 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Isnt clear, empty, neutral, distilled water what the ph scale is based on? That would be root for all measurements I suppose. Being perfectly clear means it would refract light as water is supposed to as a basis. Then you can measure how natural or dirty water or other liquids then refract to the reproducible baseline.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
01:32:18 PM
our refractometers are for measuring the brix of wine grapes
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
01:37:04 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
Purified hookups from PuR on the sink is what we used for the furbabies and us. :)
Question
Aug 10 2010
06:04:47 PM
yitz Glider Visit yitz's Photo Album 185 Posts
I'm in New York, where the water quality from the tap is really good. It does have a bit of chlorine, so I first pour it from glass to glass about 10 times, and that takes the chlorine out.
Question
Aug 10 2010
06:19:11 PM
DizzyPo Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor USA 1241 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by ~SG~

I know we have to use distilled water to calibrate our refractometers but I'm not sure why.

Distilled water is used because it lacks the minerals you find in tap/spring water. If you were to use tap water it would contaminate your refractometer and give you inaccurate results.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2010
10:28:30 PM
PW Face Hugger Visit PW's Photo Album 559 Posts
I'm with Rita, I refuse to drink our tap water here, although it tests drinkable. I can taste the iron in it YUCK!!! so I use bottled water only for all of my animals.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders