Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Diego went to the vet - UPDATE
Health related
Nov 16 2010
09:00:51 PM
He was active the entire 45 minute drive there. He obviously didn't like car rides. So we got there and the vet said he was the best behaved glider he has ever seen. Awesomesauce for Diego! The black stuff on his tail however, meant Staff infection. Hes on antibiotics, and the vet said I should see results soon. I'm glad his tail wasn't broken.

****[i]He seems to be a bit more active then usual, and played a bit of hide and seek today. Strange, because he always hated that game lol!

Edited by - KristyvanErven on Nov 17 2010 09:54:08 PM
Health related
Nov 16 2010
10:42:43 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
So glad to hear Diego is on the mend. Keep us informed of his progress.
Health related
Nov 16 2010
10:50:09 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Yeah Diego!
Health related
Nov 16 2010
11:06:20 PM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
Yay!!!! I'll keep saying a prayer for little Diego, but it sounds to me like he's on the mend!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
08:39:54 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Staph infection? Isn't that contagious?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
08:48:54 AM
virtual_diver Face Hugger Visit virtual_diver's Photo Album virtual_diver's Journal USA 574 Posts
Yep!!! To people too!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
09:23:43 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'm curious as I haven't seen this before. Is he saying the black areas will go away and it's not dead tissue? Is that what made the bald patches?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
04:25:56 PM
sbear3s Face Hugger Visit sbear3s's Photo Album 745 Posts
I'm glad he's doing ok! I bet the kids I work with would love him because of his name. They love the show Diego. :)
Health related
Nov 17 2010
04:37:14 PM
KristyvanErven Glider Visit KristyvanErven's Photo Album KristyvanErven's Journal MO, USA 140 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

I'm curious as I haven't seen this before. Is he saying the black areas will go away and it's not dead tissue? Is that what made the bald patches?

Nope, he can still move his tail. What the vet said what could have happened was he had carried it for a while then licked the fur off because it started to swell.

I was shocked to hear it as well, because I had a staff blood infection when I was five. And I didn't want it again.
Health related
Nov 17 2010
07:36:06 PM
Something_To_Believe_In Face Hugger Visit Something_To_Believe_In's Photo Album 647 Posts
How did he determine conclusively that it was staph as opposed to any other bacteria? Was there a culture done? If so, on what?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
08:08:48 PM
KristyvanErven Glider Visit KristyvanErven's Photo Album KristyvanErven's Journal MO, USA 140 Posts
They took a blood and skin sample. Since I got there early and they have their own lab there they went ahead and tested it.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 17 2010
11:19:32 PM
torilynn Face Hugger Visit torilynn's Photo Album 789 Posts
I'm glad you got him to a vet.
Health related
Nov 18 2010
10:31:15 AM
Essika Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Essika's Photo Album Essika's Journal ON, CA 581 Posts
Staph infections are not nice, I've had them a couple times due to immune system issues, and let me tell you, it sucks...

Antibiotics are very important, make sure you finish the full course of them otherwise the infection WILL re-occur.
Health related
Nov 18 2010
11:15:08 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
And become antibiotic resistant if one does not finish the meds.
quote:
Originally posted by Essika

Staph infections are not nice, I've had them a couple times due to immune system issues, and let me tell you, it sucks...

Antibiotics are very important, make sure you finish the full course of them otherwise the infection WILL re-occur.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders