Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Weird question
Weird question
Behavior
May 07 2011
10:20:29 PM
OK...I have had gliders for years and really have never had this happen with any other glider and wondered if anyone else has a glider who does this. Trekker (my hand fed baby) licks me like a dog. Not the normal glider lick, lick, nibble, groom, lick. This is seriously like a dog. It's how she greets me. I put my hand in the pouch and she will grab it with her paws and hold on and lick me. It's mostly my hands but not always and no I don't have food or anything else enticing on my hands. I don't dislike it...it's amazingly sweet, but no other glider that I've ever had has done this. Also she will SOMEtimes do it to other people. She even did it to a boy that she has never met before.
Anyone else?
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2011
10:23:44 PM
rebeccam2015 Glider Visit rebeccam2015's Photo Album 167 Posts
yes , its the natural oil on your hands gizmo does it some times
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2011
10:26:43 PM
DizzyPo Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor USA 1241 Posts
U did hand raise trekker so maybe he considers himself half human or humans half glider
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2011
10:34:18 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
Luna will do this when she is getting along with me. I say this because she has moods, lol.

My other female will cuddle, then lick you and then run off, lol.
Default, miscellaneous
May 08 2011
12:29:05 AM
KneeLee Super Glider Visit KneeLee's Photo Album USA 333 Posts
I had a glider (that I had never met before) do this to me... he was so sweet&& I fell in love. Sadly, it was the woman who wanted me to pay $100 each&& was breeding all willy nilly.
I didn't get him... but I would have loved to. He was so sweet... maybe my hands were sweaty&& he thought they tasted pleasent? Lol.
Either way, I know how it makes your heart melt. "Awww. They love me enough to lick me!"
Behavior
May 08 2011
05:34:00 AM
alexx1389 Glider GliderMap Visit alexx1389's Photo Album Japan 73 Posts
my boy scout does it to me all the time and i agree, i think it has to do with the oil or sweat on my palms lol. he will cling on and hang upside down until he licks it all off.
Default, miscellaneous
May 10 2011
10:42:18 PM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
Chloe does this to me and occasionally if she is doing it and Sully is nearby, he will too. but only if she starts it.
Behavior
May 11 2011
12:49:10 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
I can only dream at this point! Too sweet! =D
Default, miscellaneous
May 11 2011
10:55:41 AM
JcH2290 Glider Visit JcH2290's Photo Album USA 181 Posts
My first glider, Sugar, did this to me. She was 7 years old when I got her, and she was sweet as could be! Everytime I'd put my hand in the pouch or anywhere near her, she'd grab and lick my fingers like crazy! Haven't had another glider that licked me like Sugar did!
Default, miscellaneous
May 11 2011
03:15:37 PM
jakeelwood Super Glider Visit jakeelwood's Photo Album NJ, USA 396 Posts
Laughed when I read alex posts. My boy scout does this. If any other site had that post it could have been taken very differently. Lol....

I agree this is normal. My boy Elwood does this to my wife all the time but it's her neck and face he kisses.
Behavior
Jul 15 2012
09:50:21 PM
glidermom97 Starting Member 1 Posts
Hi my male glider stitch always licks my nose and cheek and he hide in my shirt is this normal i think it is so cute he don't do it to no one but me plus they both come to me and hide in my shirt and when someone try's to get them out they crab does anyone no why wondering mom of my gliders ???
Behavior
Jul 16 2012
12:06:36 AM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
My Luna licks me when in my shirt a lot. Sometimes it will be in the middle of grooming herself, and sometimes she just licks. From what everyone else is saying, it sounds pretty normal to me.

quote:
Originally posted by glidermom97

Hi my male glider stitch always licks my nose and cheek and he hide in my shirt is this normal i think it is so cute he don't do it to no one but me plus they both come to me and hide in my shirt and when someone try's to get them out they crab does anyone no why wondering mom of my gliders ???

glidermom97,
Hiding in your shirt is totally normal. Both of my girls do it, and so do tons of other gliders that people on this site own. I've seen countless pictures of gliders hiding out in people's shirts. As far as crabbing at other people, to me it just sounds like they're really comfortable with you but a little standoffish with others. I guess they just know who mom is. :]
Behavior
Jul 16 2012
12:22:49 AM
Peanut22 Glider Visit Peanut22's Photo Album 67 Posts
Two of my three do that. They have for as long as I have had them. The third one has never really done it.
Behavior
Aug 02 2016
09:45:40 AM
Luisa Starting Member 1 Posts
Both of my babies do that, my female (Shuggie) more than my male (Shadow) & it is very sweet! She will hold my finger & just lick away, sometimes all the way up my hand. However, here's one I find weird, my male likes to lick my feet! The side I walk on! So when we're sitting in the tent for play time, I spend half that time tucking my feet away from Him.
I do walk around by house barefooted & I don't want him eating the diet & whatever else I may pick up, so I don't let him do it. Still, it's like he has a foot fetish LOL.

Edited by - Luisa on Aug 02 2016 09:46:49 AM
Behavior
Aug 18 2017
08:52:12 PM
Hazelwould Starting Member Visit Hazelwould's Photo Album 2 Posts
My first glider Momo does this all the time! Lol it is super cute, I took it as a sign that she was claiming me as one of her own. They clean themselves and each other, I think she is cleaning me also hahaha! From all the "human" oils. Regardless I think it is a good thing and a sign that your glider is comfortable w you.
Behavior
Sep 01 2017
01:16:14 AM
LighthouseSuggies Starting Member 1 Posts
One of my girls, Coral, licks me like that. It is so sweet. Another one, Sydney, licks quite a bit but does not hold on to my hand. The third one, Tazmin, licks me occasionally, but only after crabbing quite a bit, and the fourth one, Opal, mostly bites me, but she did surprise me the other day and give me a couple of licks before she bit me.
Behavior
Sep 01 2017
11:41:00 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
I wish one of mine would do this. So far, they just approach me and then run
Behavior
Sep 02 2017
12:00:14 AM
Hazelwould Starting Member Visit Hazelwould's Photo Album 2 Posts
@ptamom, no worries!! It will happen so think. My most standoff glider is coming around with a lot of bonding and love. Show them you're confident and you will see them come around with time. #128521;
Weird question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Weird question