Sugar Gliders
Please do not adjust your set...the Great Glider Rescue is home
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 31 2011
05:02:57 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
I kept saying they were pretending to be creaminos.. they honestly looked it, that's how solid and dark the coloring is. It's so disgusting.

Thankfully the babies are better, but.. it's still truly depressing. ): I am so thankful to Lori and Kim for what they've done and I can't wait to see the progress. I may even end up adopting myself for a small non-breeding colony. I held some of the babies and two of the leu sisters for some time in bonding pouches and some are a bit more calm but obviously frightened, they've never been handled by humans.. and some are just a bit more vicious and aggressive, I think because they know better and are used to their joeys being stolen from them and likely being swatted away when she came to take the joeys, too..
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
05:08:45 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kozi Gliders</i>
<br />... and some are just a bit more vicious and aggressive, I think because they know better and are used to their joeys being stolen from them and likely being swatted away when she came to take the joeys, too...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

After getting some good food and some decent attention, they will calm down a whole lot. May take a few months to normalize them - that's about how long it takes here. Some that don't get a lot of handling stay mean for a while. The ones that rotate out for some foster care always come back more well adjusted...
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
05:11:50 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LuckyGlider</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kozi Gliders</i>
<br />... and some are just a bit more vicious and aggressive, I think because they know better and are used to their joeys being stolen from them and likely being swatted away when she came to take the joeys, too...

After getting some good food and some decent attention, they will calm down a whole lot. May take a few months to normalize them - that's about how long it takes here. Some that don't get a lot of handling stay mean for a while. The ones that rotate out for some foster care always come back more well adjusted...

I'm definitely hoping to adopt or foster, at least. I'm hoping I can make it over to Lori's at some point to help with the socializing, too. It can be difficult for one person with that many, and I wouldn't risk it with her kids, since they're still questionable, and I'm sure she feels the same. So hopefully I can go help out some with getting 'em used to humans. Not much else for me to do without a job at the moment.
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
06:38:04 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
LIKE!
LIKE!
LIKE! I remember it being said in the begining that this breeder was going to be nameless until the rescue was over. Well, they are safe and now Lori can give up the name of this horrid person so we can ensure that if we buy again or hear of her breeding, we can become proactive as a group. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LuckyGlider</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JeremyLexie</i>
<br />with pics like that who would buy from her? EWWWWW

OK guys, some of you may think I am being a buzzkill in the middle of this group hug, but I'd just like to check in on this and give another perspective. And at the bottom I am soliciting opinions and ideas on a network. My thoughts are not meant to denigrate or marginalize thehomermomma either. They are just my perspective and should not detract from any good coming out of this work.

Look, everyone involved in this initiative on the receiving end, essentially "bought" from that breeder indirectly. So don't fool yourselves.

This is one of the things that makes rescue so very difficult from an ethical standpoint when opportunities to "work with breeders" come up.

On one hand you have a breeder who wants to dump a bunch of gliders and GET PAID for it, and on the other side of the equation you have well-intentioned people who want to "save" those gliders.

In the end, these animals were purchased from a breeder by proxy. As to whether or not you characterize that as a great rescue, that is up to all of you individually to ponder.

Also, I am not shocked at all by the color of these gliders. Believe me when you run a rescue and sanctuary, you see it all.

Despite your collective shock, these gliders look to me to be in pretty good shape despite the color of their fur. They are plump, bright-eyed, and more or less in need of a decent diet, which I trust all of you taking them will provide.

Sure, it's bad they were fed cat food, but I am not seeing anything here that comes even close to the horror of what naive or abusive pet owners do to their animals before they end up *here*. I mean all kinds of malnutrition, maiming, and stuff you don't want to think about. Some stay in sanctuary, but most are rehabilitated and entirely adoptable.

To me, this great rescue initiative, while it benefits the gliders that get into decent homes, is less a great rescue and more of a retail dumping or fire sale. Here, the breeder still benefits from playing on the hearts and minds of all involved.

And while the breeder ostensibly has agreed to never, never, breed again, etc. the collective message we are sending to wanna-be breeders is: <i><b>"hey you can do a wholesale dump of gliders and the community will rise up to buy them." </b></i> So what's the risk in getting in to breeding? If you screw up, or get tired of it, someone will sound a rally cry and everyone will chip in and buy.

I kind of wish we could have talked here into just surrendering these poor animals. But since the breeder was not named, the community at large could not act as a community and put pressure on this person. Instead it became a brokered deal that let her/him "get away with it."

Like I said, not optimal.

Sadly, we are reinforcing bad behavior and the poor animals are stuck in the middle.

The transfer of animals from a Breeder under the auspices of rescue is therefore a dicey ethical problem. I am *not* saying this whole thing is "bad" nor am I saying the people involved are bad. It's just that it is one of those situations that is not optimal - because the originator of the animals still clutches a commercial gain. And *that* is bad.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have 60+ gliders here up for adoption that were just plain surrendered. And they still need homes. Now, a call to action based on a failed breeding operation - in which the breeder still wants to be paid - trumps these animals that are languishing in rescue - who are neutered, health-checked, and available for a nominal adoption fee of $50. It's a weird twist then, that an initiative such as this great rescue seemingly preempts our "normal, everyday rescue."

For example, we just took in "Charlie" a few days ago, and now, another failed hobby breeder is bringing a pair over tomorrow because the mom keeps eating the babies and "it's just too much trouble to neuter the male." In a few weeks, another pair, one an over-gromer, is coming in from Tennessee. So there you have it. The normal, constant drum beat of everyday rescue, cages filling up and them coming in faster than they go out - versus a "great rescue" in which a breeder gets paid and slinks away.

Our normal, everyday rescue is witness to many initiatives that are seen as communal rallies. While we are touched that so many people throw-in and support a rally, we are hopeful that we can all establish a steady network of rescuers so we can normalize these transactions and make all of the ad-hoc transactions more procedural and predictable - and cheaper.

Just imagine, if all of us who *want* to do rescue kind of held it all together and established rules so breeders who want to dump and run are instead faced with (transparent) unity and the pressure to surrender ill-cared-for animals.

Some of the ideas we've been kicking around include:
1. Full disclosure and transparency
2. Licensing
3. Common guidelines the "network" follows
4. Normalization of the cost of acquisition in adoption fees

I know there are other "networks" but for the most part they are failures and have devolved into ego-fueled politics and therefore no animals benefit with the exception of a few that get transferred back and forth between breeders. I have friends who have been burnt by some of these people who got stuck with all the "special needs" gliders, while a few breeders culled out the colored ones for their own gain. That to me is not a rescue network but a cynical grab for profit by people who are not really rescuers.

If any of you have ideas on what the ground rules of a truly successful, full-time working rescue network would be, I'd like to hear from you. This initiative seems to have tapped a nerve and therefore since everyone is on the subject, I'd like to glean some ideas on how to extend and normalize these activities.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 31 2011
06:54:10 PM
thefotokat Glider 177 Posts
I just wanted to say "thank you" to Ed for his post. He put into words many of my thoughts better than I could have. I had typed a response in one of these threads the other day, but then deleted it. I'm glad to see that both Ed and Val are thinking much of the same things I have been. I don't like to see any animal suffer, but I also realize that we have to look at the bigger picture. I volunteer with some of the emergency animal response teams and have seen some pretty bad stuff. Some of the situations were allowed to happen because no one notified the proper authorities. In talking to rescue groups that were local to the situation, I learned that they were aware of the situation and had taken animals from it before. By not notifying the authorities, more animals were allowed to suffer. In one case, the offender finally turned over all their animals and then moved to a different area and started all over again. In that case, about 200 animals were affected. I know that the government red tape is frustrating and slow moving, but they're the ones with ultimate authority to step in. I, personally, feel that as a rescue I have an ethical responsibililty to report neglect or abuse. I know that the other rescues I network and work with feel the same. We also share information about potential trouble situations/people so that offenders have more difficulty in relocating and repeating their actions. It's important for rescuers to work together in order to make a difference for the animals. I'm not on the boards much, but I'm here at the rescue/sanctuary each and every day. I just thought it was important to add my voice to Ed and Val's. Our rescues have been around for years and we've each seen more bad situations than I'm sure we care to remember. We would love it if no more animals ever suffer, but until then, we just have to keep working together.
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
07:11:20 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dpatters28</i>
<br />Wow. I am shocked by the coloring of that leu!! Big thanks yous to Lori, Kim, Amber and all the awesome folks who are rescuing these babies and FINALLY giving them loving homes where they will thrive and be happy.

Seriously, I am glad you all stepped in.

I just wanted to do a side by side comparison...this is my WF next to one of the WF rescues.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 31 2011
07:33:19 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
Kate so glad to hear from you. Val said she'd bring me up to speed on the network after she digs out of some pressing obligations. I wish I had worked harder at staying in touch with you guys. We shall be more diligent in the future. I agree that if we band together we can avert some small disasters. I will pray these poor babies are OK for now. Our prayers and well wishes for all of you!
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
07:44:05 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by viciousencounters</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dpatters28</i>
<br />Wow. I am shocked by the coloring of that leu!! Big thanks yous to Lori, Kim, Amber and all the awesome folks who are rescuing these babies and FINALLY giving them loving homes where they will thrive and be happy.

Seriously, I am glad you all stepped in.

I just wanted to do a side by side comparison...this is my WF next to one of the WF rescues....

yep, that's the tell-tale "brown" of malnourishment and I think in this case a lack of protein. The stank will take a few weeks to wear off so long as they are on a good diet.

I recommend feeding chicken bits with papaya chunks and corn along with a sprinkle of calcium with D3. thehomermamma if you want to chat about the suggie soup recipe, in case you are not using it, I guarantee a turn-around in a few short months. Call if you get a chance after catching up on some sleep. 877-504-5145 (toll-free) or 903-482-6026. If the phone rings without answer, please stay on the line while it rolls over to Gail's cell phone. They look terrible, yes, but I promise you can get them on track with the suggie soup.
Rescue
Jul 31 2011
09:38:23 PM
TheHomermomma Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit TheHomermomma's Photo Album 1332 Posts
Ed, I actually have gliders on several different things right now...one being suggie soup. I had actually planned to talk to you about using it with these rescues and how to use it to get Olson's weight down (I'm not exaggerating when I say he can barely walk let alone climb). I spoke to my vet today about all of them and we are going in for fecals etc in the morning, but he wants to see Olson because last night after the stress of the drive and all he was breathing like he had run a marathon and had frozen on the bottom of the cage for several hours. The vet is ready to do neuters on everyone and will evaluate Olson tomorrow. He is 218.3 grams. After I get done with the vet I'll call you.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 31 2011
09:44:19 PM
snowbungee Super Glider Visit snowbungee's Photo Album USA 361 Posts
218.3 grams?! Wowzer. I may not know much, but I know that is one obese glider. Keep us updated on him. I look forward to seeing his progress! Is there a Glider equivalent to weight watchers?!
Rescue
Aug 01 2011
08:11:15 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHomermomma</i>
<br />Ed, I actually have gliders on several different things right now...one being suggie soup. I had actually planned to talk to you about using it with these rescues and how to use it to get Olson's weight down (I'm not exaggerating when I say he can barely walk let alone climb). I spoke to my vet today about all of them and we are going in for fecals etc in the morning, but he wants to see Olson because last night after the stress of the drive and all he was breathing like he had run a marathon and had frozen on the bottom of the cage for several hours. The vet is ready to do neuters on everyone and will evaluate Olson tomorrow. He is 218.3 grams. After I get done with the vet I'll call you.

Yes, please ask the vet about electrolytes and getting water into Olson in case he is not drinking. I say this because that bottom-of-the cage behavior is very common when some gliders are transported and it has to do with stress. The stress of traveling will cause some gliders not to drink, so that is a big concern for him. My cell is 702-301-2445 if Gail does not pick up the toll-free line.

I think the soup will be OK for most of the rescues, but it may be too rich in polysaccarides for Olson. He may require a version with much less honey. He probably needs a lot of out-of-cage time. Unless there is a serious health risk with him, I'd also suggest rigging his cage with two wheels. If he is lethargic, you may need to prompt him by putting him on hanging fleece ropes and encouraging him to climb (up or down) to get some exercise. I will pray he is drinking.
Rescue
Aug 01 2011
08:57:58 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
All this talk about Olsons weight makes me feel kinda bad for him. It's like talking about a fat person behind their back. I know it isn't but still. I'm so glad you guys got it together to get them. Was she left with any gliders at all? Please say no, please say no. She doesn't deserve any especially after the way these look.
Rescue
Aug 01 2011
12:12:56 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHomermomma</i>
<br />Scott,
If you have an issue with anything that I have done you are more than welcome to be specific. You don't have to PM me...I have no issue with you saying it for the forum to hear. IF I have done something wrong then I want to know. But I feel that I have been very upfront and claimed the fact that I was paying to get these gliders out. I could have done this and not revealed that I was doing something "taboo" in the rescue community. However, I felt that it was important to tell everyone what was happening honestly and do what I felt was in the best interest of the gliders even if it meant that I had rescuers mad at me. I don't want anyone to think badly of me, but I'm less concerned about that than I am about the gliders.
Again, please don't be vague. If you think that I've done something wrong let me know.
Lori I wasn't being vague, I asked who this USDA breeder is.She is elderly and has no power so I didn't think there was much chance of her of catching wind of this.Its not that hard to close these kind of people down, the hard part is finding them.Its actually easier to close down a licensed facicilty than a unlicensed.With a license, you are giving the authorities permission to enter your property at any time. They need a warrant to shearch your property if your not licensed(most of the time).The local authorities will look into animal abused / neglect calls alot quicker than the FEDS will. That doesn't really matter anymore.

Right now i am waiting for a call from the humane society and the health department about a lady with multiple sick cats. I got a call last wednesday night / thursdays morning (12 am) from the sheriffs office about a crazy lady with a bat in her house. To make a long story short, this lady has a bunch of cats that she cant take care of, a bat got into her house and there was direct contact between the bat and at least one of her unvaccinated cats. Volunteering for a licensed rescue I have to follow a strict set of rules when dealing with animals.Knowing that there is a good chance that her cats will be euthanized, I still had to report this to the CDOW, health department and humane society. There is a good chance that she is going to loose her cats even if the rabies test comes back negative.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2011
03:59:33 PM
Markysmommy713 Super Glider GliderMap Visit Markysmommy713's Photo Album Markysmommy713's Journal USA 211 Posts
Awww I am so happy you have these babies with you now:) have all of them been adopted?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2011
09:43:15 PM
11sugarlvr11 Glider Visit 11sugarlvr11's Photo Album 63 Posts
So I know it's the cat food diet....but what exactly about it makes them turn the yellow color?
Rescue
Aug 01 2011
10:11:12 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
So who is this USDA licensed breeder with multiple violations?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2011
10:40:17 PM
DoubleBogey Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit DoubleBogey's Photo Album USA 1244 Posts
Olsen was in a parakeet cage with nothing but food and water and an index card box to sleep in for 3 years. Pretty sure his weight is due to a number of things...but mostly no ability to exercise AT ALL and a bad diet. I put his first toy ever in his cage before we got them out. Turned off the light and I came back in a bit later after working with some of the others and when I flipped the lights on - he was hilariously hanging off a dangling link of rings. Of course...he was frozen in fear...dangling there. He can get up on things...but I think it's just more work for him. I am hoping with a good diet and lots of exercise options that his weight will go back down. Of course the vet will have to tell Lori more - he has gained almost 30 g's even since the first time I weighed him in June.
Rescue
Aug 01 2011
11:31:51 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Catman</i>
<br />So who is this USDA licensed breeder with multiple violations?

HELLO?
Rescue
Aug 02 2011
01:24:49 AM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Catman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Catman</i>

HELLO?

i would like to know as well. i dont see why it would matter now if she is no longer breeding and i think the glider community should know who this lady is just in case she does break the contract and anyone hears about it.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 02 2011
03:50:30 PM
11sugarlvr11 Glider Visit 11sugarlvr11's Photo Album 63 Posts
has anyone heard from thehomermomma? just curious, i would love some updates about these babies! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 02 2011
04:20:12 PM
DoubleBogey Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit DoubleBogey's Photo Album USA 1244 Posts
I spoke with Lori earlier - she had already been to vet for the second time with the gliders. There is some concern with one of them in particular - I am going to let her respond.
Rescue
Aug 02 2011
04:51:31 PM
Faerie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Faerie's Photo Album 1833 Posts
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Catman</i>

HELLO?

I also think that we need to know who this lady is.

~Michelle~
Rescue
Aug 02 2011
10:46:09 PM
I know that everyone here is very eager to know this ex-breeder's name and to keep an eye out to be sure that she does not breed again. However, there is an active USDA investigation that I am cooperating with right now and I cannot give you that information. When this is wrapped up and is public I will give you the information.
I'm not hiding her...I just want to make sure that I do not impede this investigation.

Rescue
Aug 03 2011
12:42:58 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
Wouldn't removing them from the state and rehomeing them impede with this investigation?

A you working with the USDA on this?
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 03 2011
06:08:17 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I also just want to be clear because I haven't seen it actually stated, but every glider from this rescue will be getting a well check and/or neuter before they are adopted out, correct? It seems their situation more than warrants it.
Rescue
Aug 03 2011
07:31:57 PM
Poor Olsen. I know about the turning on of the light and catching them doing stuff. I flip on the light and both boys fly to the top corners of the cage where you can't see. My daughter keeps a blanket over their cage and they know where the shad is.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleBogey</i>
<br />Olsen was in a parakeet cage with nothing but food and water and an index card box to sleep in for 3 years. Pretty sure his weight is due to a number of things...but mostly no ability to exercise AT ALL and a bad diet. I put his first toy ever in his cage before we got them out. Turned off the light and I came back in a bit later after working with some of the others and when I flipped the lights on - he was hilariously hanging off a dangling link of rings. Of course...he was frozen in fear...dangling there. He can get up on things...but I think it's just more work for him. I am hoping with a good diet and lots of exercise options that his weight will go back down. Of course the vet will have to tell Lori more - he has gained almost 30 g's even since the first time I weighed him in June.
Rescue
Aug 03 2011
08:10:31 PM
Yes, they will. I have been at the vet now 3x in 3 days. There are obviously issues with some of these guys. We are working out the timeline on neuters now...a couple aren't old enough and the vet won't neuter Olson until we get some weight off him because his liver and kidneys aren't at 100%. But the last of the well checks will be done tomorrow.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 04 2011
02:50:18 AM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
We must all remember to pray for all animals and humans everyday. In the hopes that God will in the end give us the best answers to lead us as what to do. My prayers are with all of them everywhere tonight.
Rescue
Aug 04 2011
03:03:22 AM
Lori I'm really sorry you have to go through all of this. ):

I'm really sad with how people are acting about this.. Lori isn't hiding this woman for some 'suspicious' reason, which by the way you're really making it sound like is the case. She's not protecting her and went out of her way to make sure everything with this was <b>solid</b> before going through with everything. Believe me, she really covered her tracks and double checked everything. I really don't think <b>patience</b> is too much to ask for. It's only been <b><i>days</i></b>. These poor little ones have barely been to the vet muchless adjusted and things are being dealt with and people are just whining for answers left and right about who this person is. Calm down and take a time out, for petes sake...

<b>It's not like you need to worry about avoiding them as a seller/breeder, they don't have a SINGLE glider left anymore, thanks to Kim and Lori.</b>

Just sit it out and wait, time will tell. Knowing now and knowing a week or more from now won't really make a huge difference, will it? Are you going to visit them? Harass them? Things are already being dealt with. It's between the people involved, now. No reason to go dragging more people in.

Edited by - Kozi on Aug 04 2011 03:08:28 AM
Rescue
Aug 04 2011
11:38:30 AM
I know I'm only one person Lori, but you have my complete support in trying to get this breeder out of business.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders