Please do not adjust your set...the Great Glider Rescue is home
Previous |
Page: of 5
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
04:46:42 PM
YoungGun Face Hugger GliderMap Visit YoungGun's Photo Album LA, USA 526 Posts
You two are incompetent. If Lori or anyone else asked for donations on a public forum than it is everybodys business. I was going to donate untill I put two and two together. I have donated a substantial amount of money to animal rescues and charities in the past two years.

Since you wanted to compare Lori to the red cross I have something for you. This is an official statement from red cross of all the money received and spent on the relief and recovery in Haiti. It is required by law that they disclose to the public how much they receive in donations and how much they spend on the cause.
www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.94aae335470e233f6cf911df43181aa0/?vgnextoid=b31a62758aaa7210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
04:50:58 PM
Amy1706 Super Glider Visit Amy1706's Photo Album Amy1706's Journal USA 252 Posts
And now she may be not answering the questions it is black or white if you are wanting those answers and she is not giving them to you don't donate money why the big debate? what are you trying to do talk other people out of donating money because you did not get the questions you wanted to know answered? ok got ya'lls point and still dont agree with it!
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
04:55:34 PM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
Lori the number 200 is in your initial post which I linked above. It was not a set in stone number in the way I read it. I don't know why people care so much about how much you paid. I don't personally see why it matters but it seems a lot of people do care. I do know why you said you didn't want to give us your vets name but honestly don't understand your reasoning as you must have a bill with them regardless if you have to find a specialty vet for some of them. When people don't answer questions people seem to think you have something to hide. I am not saying you do. This is was bound to happen! I am not surprised at all its where its at. I don't think you should be either.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
04:58:10 PM
TheHomermomma Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit TheHomermomma's Photo Album 1332 Posts
Sugarloafin - please read that post again. I said that I would consider shipping but that would be on the owner and that it usually costs around $200. That was not the adoption fee.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
04:59:33 PM
Amy1706 Super Glider Visit Amy1706's Photo Album Amy1706's Journal USA 252 Posts
WOW calling names how middle school of you nobody asked you hey man can you donate any money for Lori's rescues when did you get that PM? and who was if from????? I am happy that you have donated a substantial amount in the past did you get a break down of how where that money went? if you did what rescue was it?
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
04:59:41 PM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
I am not worried about it. I was just saying I think that is where the 200 came from, since you said you didn't know.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
05:04:33 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I thought she had already disclosed how much the vet bills were. Surely the amount of donations doesn't come close to the bill. As she said she's doing this out of her own pocket. If you want to help or donate, do it, if not, don't. I think we all need to leave it alone now. If she needs help, she'll ask for it. I think I mentioned the $200. I may have misread it but I thought it said that was the adoption/rehomin fee. If not, I apologize and it isn't Loris fault that I flubbed up.

Edited by - Omis n Kais g-ma on Aug 05 2011 05:07:14 PM
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
05:09:18 PM
Ko Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ko's Photo Album Australia 1168 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHomermomma</i>
Also, I don't know where the price of $200 came from. I have not quoted ANY adoption fees at all. I have told prospective adopters what I paid for that individual glider and then told them to tell me what they could pay.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If this was happening here in Australia that would be a <b>sale</b> to a prospective purchaser and a business transaction not an adoption.

Adoption fees are a <b>set</b> fee from rescue homes that do not pay for the animals.. They are either rescued or surrended to the home. An adoption fee pays for health check, the desexing and the microchipping and sometimes the registration of the animal.The new owner gets a starter pack and a health certficate as well.

The good side of it all though, seeing all the gliders are getting vet checked at least each one of them will come with a vet health certificate supplied to the new owners. At least I hope that is the case.

As for people donating...well seeing money is exchanging hands along the way, I don't see the point.....
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
05:18:17 PM
Binkys mom Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Binkys mom's Photo Album AL, USA 779 Posts

Rescue
Aug 05 2011
05:20:08 PM
Tiko45 Joey 17 Posts
This is not a typical rescue, she bought these gliders from a breeder. They are also not your standard grey but colored gliders that are worth more. Until she says how much these gliders cost and how much the "adoption fee" is how do you know she won't set the fees on the colored gliders (especially the joeys) at a price that pays all the vet bills? Asking for money and donations now and asking people for applications and to say what they can afford is a bit fishy to me.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
05:27:59 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tiko45</i>
<br />This is not a typical rescue, she bought these gliders from a breeder. They are also not your standard grey but colored gliders that are worth more. Until she says how much these gliders cost and how much the "adoption fee" is how do you know she won't set the fees on the colored gliders (especially the joeys) at a price that pays all the vet bills? Asking for money and donations now and asking people for applications and to say what they can afford is a bit fishy to me.

Yeah, sure... except for the part about how much she had to pay to get them out of there. She did indeed pay, they weren't handed to her for free. It was easily a 5 hour drive, one way, from what I heard. There's 900 so far in vet bills, I think? Who knows how much more. I know for a fact she will be charging a very low amount compared to any 'breeder' as these are all non-breeding rescues, she's already said that. So no, I don't think whatever she asks for the gliders will cover everything else I just mentioned. (That's without housing them, feeding them, caring for them, and hell, driving back and forth to the vet every damn day as she has been doing.)

Agreed with the above comment, this is a dead horse, give it up. You people need to get a hobby.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
06:28:36 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
This discussion has got to be one of the most trivial topics ever discussed on this forum. You either take it or leave it.

Why must everyone bicker like children when nothing good can come of it?

Lori rescued 20 gliders from a breeder. In order to obtain them she had to bribe the breeder with money in exchange for the relinquishing of all this breeders gliders and a contract stating this breeder will be dealt with legally if she were to obtain anymore gliders.

The breeder owned gliders in a state were it is illegal to have them without USDA papers. The authorities would have disposed of the gliders as they saw fit, so Lori stepped in.

The breeder can not be divulged at this time because it would impede an investigation.

Lori saved 20 gliders from a parasitic environment and possibilities of liver damage for all 20.

She expressed this rescue was a huge undertaking.

People began to donate free of will.

Lori cannot provide a standard adoption fee for these gliders because they may not or may have health issues that may or may not have to be included in the adoption fee on top of the cost for a standard examination and neutering. Until all the tests come back the adoption fee will not be stated nor will it be determined.

So either you take it or leave it. If you only like to donate to completely transparent transactions that is a personal opinion, if you are not comfortable with this rescue that is a personal opinion, if you feel this rescue is illegitimate that is until proof is shown a personal opinion, if you wish to warn others of a possible scam then do as you wish but we do not live in a totalitarian society, people do make their own choices and as of yet there has been no evidence to heed any warnings to any person who may decide to donate.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
06:31:49 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
I agree. She purchased these gliders. She can re-sell them for any fee she wants. No one sent me any donations the last time I purchased a few gliders.

She should leave the word "rescue" out of it. She purchased gliders. Just like many people do every day. She just CHOSE to purchase sickly gliders or those that were kept in poor circumstances. That was her choice and now it is her burden to care for the gliders she purchased.

IF she wants to treat this as a rescue situation, then yes, she does need to provide this community with some answers. Lori has not been around long. She has been a member of this board only since last October. Most of the people participating in this thread (not all, just most) have only been members of this community for 2 seconds. Perhaps many just do not understand the number of people who have come through this community with "rescue" stories that do not add up - and it turns out they were NOT on the up and up. I would imagine that these people could not tell you anything about Abra or Kelly or SuggieTex or JesusGaveMeLife or MadSkyKing or Dawn Hall, or, or, or...... There have been so many that I can't think of them all. These people and this history make it so that people that have been around for more than a minute are a bit more cautious and require plain ol' honest answers before we jump on the "yay for you" band wagon. We protect our own, even when you scream and call us names and tell us to let it die. Sometimes people just don't realize that others are trying to ensure their safety and integrity in these situations.

The questions weren't hard. I'd bet if we asked the same questions of Ed or Val or Kate about any of their rescue efforts, we would get answers. Their honest sets them apart as reputable.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
07:03:18 PM
Who is the "community" and why does anyone owe them anything? I know I dont, the "community" does not pay my vet bills or help me with anything I may have befriended some people within the "community" and there is only a very short list to whom I would call friends that are in the community like I said before this is BLACK or WHITE you donate or you don't.can someone bury this dead horse it is drawing flys!!!
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:06:24 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Amy1706</i>
<br />Who is the "community" and why does anyone owe them anything? I know I dont, the "community" does not pay my vet bills or help me with anything I may have befriended some people within the "community" and there is only a very short list to whom I would call friends that are in the community like I said before this is BLACK or WHITE you donate or you don't.can someone bury this dead horse it is drawing flys!!!

Oh just shut up amy
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:10:30 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Amy1706</i>
<br />Who is the "community" and why does anyone owe them anything? I know I dont, the "community" does not pay my vet bills or help me with anything I may have befriended some people within the "community" and there is only a very short list to whom I would call friends that are in the community like I said before this is BLACK or WHITE you donate or you don't.can someone bury this dead horse it is drawing flys!!!

I agree with you, Amy.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Anonymous</i>
Oh just shut up amy

YOU can shut up, thanks.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:21:10 PM
At least I have the balls to post with my name are you scared of something? and do you actually know me? and again what grade are you in????
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:24:57 PM
ilovegizmo Face Hugger Visit ilovegizmo's Photo Album 610 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Anonymous</i>
<br /><br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Amy1706</i>

I agree with you, Amy.

Oh just shut up amy

YOU can shut up, thanks.

Lol really. Your an anonymASS!
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:29:29 PM
TheHomermomma Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit TheHomermomma's Photo Album 1332 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear from someone what questions I haven't answered. I keep seeing posts that say that I haven't answered questions but no one says what questions I haven't answered.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
07:32:56 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If anyone has any specific questions for Lori - please start a new thread and let this one fade to the bottom of the active thread list. PLEASE

The conversation is no longer about the gliders when folks are taking potshots at each other personally.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:33:49 PM
thefotokat Glider 177 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Amy1706</i>
<br />Who is the "community" and why does anyone owe them anything? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's the people this "letter" was addressed to:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHomermomma</i>
Dear Glider Community,
I know that most of you know that I do rescue. I have dealt with hoarders, impulse buyers and well intentioned but clueless owners. I have a situation that I am going to ask the glider community to help with. I have come in contact with a breeder who has a unique situation. She has gliders in deplorable conditions and can’t be convinced to change her ways. She is willing to sell every one of her gliders at a bulk price and sign a non-compete contract to not breed any more. However, she is not looking for her gliders to be rescued so she is fully willing to continue to breed in these conditions.

My dilemma is this…I am more than willing to put up the money to get these gliders out of there and shut her down. However, there are more gliders than I can possibly house and even with foster homes this is going to be a big undertaking. What I am looking for is to have homes with approved applications ready and waiting when I take these guys from her. I normally ask a nominal adoption fee for rescues in order to deal with vet bills, feeding and to discourage flippers. This situation is different because she is selling them with the thought that they are going to be bred. I have not told her that, but I am also not dissuading her from that notion because if she thinks that we are trying to get her out of business she will not let them go. She also has several colored gliders…Leus and White Face.

I can’t, at the moment, tell you exactly what each glider’s adoption fee will be. I am going to be putting my name on the line for many thousands of dollars to do this and I WILL NOT be getting the majority of this money back. I don’t care. I care about these gliders living in 100 degree + weather with fruit flies, being fed cat food and not being handled. No toys, no stimulation, not being cleaned, and one pouch (if that) per cage of many gliders.

So…I am looking for anyone willing to adopt who would be ready to fill out an application and put down a deposit. I’m looking for anyone wanting to sponsor a glider or willing to help get the word out via Facebook, Twitter or other means that we will have many gliders to rehome. They will be neutered and a contract will have to be signed to adopt. I will CONSIDER shipping but that cost will be on the new owner and it usually runs around $200. We will also have some railroads available and will be able to cover all of FL, GA and AL as well as SC and parts of TN and NC. Anything further than that will have to be done on a case by case basis.

I know that there are going to be those of you who think that this is ridiculous. She’s just one very bad breeder out of thousands. However, my philosophy has always been the story of the starfish…a man is walking down a beach littered with starfish washed up on shore and he sees a little girl picking them up and throwing them back into the ocean. He says to her, “Why do you bother? There are so many that you can’t possibly make a difference.” And she picks up another one and throws it back into the ocean and says, “I made a difference to THAT one.”

Thank you all for all that you do to make better the lives of all gliders!
Lori

Hope that helps.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:34:10 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
To whom it may concern

It has come to my attention that our community unity is very poor.

So, we have organized a Pep Rally at the High School football field tomorrow night. 7:00 P.M.

* Bonfire!
* Free Hot dogs for roasting on the fire
* Free grammar and punctuation lessons for those of you demonstrating some trouble with this.
* Cheer lessons for those that have forgotten how great this COMMUNITY can be

So, come on down and meet your community members!!!

Sincerely
Your Mayor
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:39:42 PM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
<br />To whom it may concern

It has come to my attention that our community unity is very poor.

So, we have organized a Pep Rally at the High School football field tomorrow night. 7:00 P.M.

* Bonfire!
* Free Hot dogs for roasting on the fire
* Free grammar and punctuation lessons for those of you demonstrating some trouble with this.
* Cheer lessons for those that have forgotten how great this COMMUNITY can be

So, come on down and meet your community members!!!

Sincerely
Your Mayor

That was Funny
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
07:40:06 PM
Lori you don't have to answer any questions that is your right, I think it is sick that you have to deffend yourself I am honestly sooooo confused right now I thought the purpose of this board forum was to help and educate where is the part of supporting you for doing something wonderful for those sugar gliders? I wish I had more money cuz I'd send you a bunch of it but right now I am broke but do you need toys or pouches or a reptarium cuz that would be easier for me! I am losing respect for people in general sadly I am please let me know of anything I can do to help
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
07:40:13 PM
Something_To_Believe_In Face Hugger Visit Something_To_Believe_In's Photo Album 647 Posts

I am planning on running for Mayor of this community in 2012

SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN IN 2012.

That should be easy to remember.

Vote for me!!!!!

All kidding aside - Amy, *I* am a member of this community. The same community that Lori came to for help - addressed her letter to us even.

Edited by - Something_To_Believe_In on Aug 05 2011 07:40:57 PM
Information
Aug 05 2011
07:43:15 PM
thefotokat Glider 177 Posts
Sorry. I wasn't done with that post. The glider community is made up of people who care about gliders. They are a generous bunch who have stepped up to help many times in the past. They have been burned many times in the past. They are still willing to help but they must have assurances that their help is going somewhere actually needed. This means they ask questions. Once they were invited to help...in any capacity...they deserve information. You never know who your future benefactor may be, so you should respect them all. What I see now are a few people resorting to name calling which is absolutely unnecessary. I've gone back and reread many of these posts and I have now found a new question: There was a thread posted a few days before this "great glider rescue" one started. It was about a CL ad for a woman selling all of her gliders. Lori said that she was in contact with that woman and was willing to buy those gliders from her if she could get the asking price down. My question is: is this the same group of gliders or have you purchased 2 large groups of gliders this month? I get concerned when I see someone rapidly acquiring large quantites of breeding gliders. Could you clarify this for me?

Edited by - thefotokat on Aug 05 2011 07:46:28 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
10:09:01 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
The ability to post anonymously on this forum is to allow dissenting opinions to be voiced. This feature is not to be used for name calling. For all of you that have used this feature in this discussion as a shield for being an ass, <b>I know who you are</b>.
Rescue
Aug 05 2011
11:59:21 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
I've locked all the other discussions regarding this. If I've missed any then it's because there are too many.

I'm also keeping this locked. This is being posted as a statement, not an invitation for further discussion. However, you can still send me a private message .

No more solicitations for donations will be allowed. Solicitations began and thank-you's were given before the gliders were even in custody. There is no disputing that this happened.

This is a case of a breeder buying gliders from another breeder. Simply calling it a "rescue" does not make it such. This is a very unfortunate scenario.

There has been contention regarding this "event" in regards to finding out various details. This is not how transparency works. But then again, this is not a rescue, there doesn't need to be transparency.

However, due to the call for donations and the charade that is the "Great Glider Rescue," there are other details regarding TheHomermomma's glider endeavors that need to be mentioned.

In January there was a claim that she took in gliders under the presumption that she was to be a "forever home", only to later resell the gliders at a higher price.

In May there was a claim that she lied about the health of a glider that was purchased from her. I asked TheHomermomma for her vet information. She refused.

I've been around long enough to see many people come through here claiming something when the reality is much different. In reading the various discussions regarding this event, it's revealed that theHomermomma continuously monitors Craigslist for gliders. Circumstantial, yes, but it does support the claim from January, which happened on Craigslist.

Maybe there is a really good reason for rehoming gliders by charging more. But good or bad, no reason can explain the behavior of getting gliders that are, for all practical purposes, in the middle of being rehomed, over a period of months without being licensed. By taking in gliders and reselling them, that act makes one a broker, and you need a license.

This license means one has to keep records of which animals come in and which animals go out. This license means one has to have a vet that sees the animals. This license offers transparency, and in a household where breeding for profit takes place, the transparency of the care and well being of rescued gliders is of great importance.

This is all about the gliders. A proper license offers some peace of mind when the operation between rescue and breeder become clouded. A "trust me" statement just doesn't cut it in the animal world. There is too much animal abuse in this world to trust a human's promise.

There has to be transparency in rescue.

Here is a summary of the things that were asked in various posts, each of which should have been promptly addressed.

* Who is the vet? This piece of information is important in multiple ways. If there is a large bill, then donations could have been made directly to the vet to help pay the bill. There is absolutely no need for a middleman. Secondly, due to previous issues with gliders, there is reason to believe that the vet either doesn't exist or will not be seeing all the gliders.

* How many gliders? There is no reason to not state this information. If the ultimate goal is to rehome the gliders, then this is pertinent to that goal. I've seen theHomermomma mention that she's going to split the glider families. This is a ridiculous excuse. That gliders should only be bought and sold in pairs is a ludicrous breeder mentality. A cage of gliders that are all related, males neutered, is a perfectly valid and healthy grouping to be rehomed. The "she bought them she can do what she wants with them" mentality gets sort of muddied given the whole donations and rescue spin. I have no problem flat out stating that it would be wrong for some of these colored gliders to be mixed in with current breeding stock. Since there is a very conscious lack of transparency with this whole endeavor, no one would ever know.

* Who was the original owner? It's been stated that the original owner was licensed. I don't believe this. There are only 14 entities listed as breeders in Georgia. Of those, only two are anywhere near where the gliders supposedly came from, and from looking at inspection reports, chinchillas and cats aren't exactly considered sugar gliders. I also don't think there is an investigation. The animals are no longer in the original owner's care, so there is that little issue of getting proof. Secondly, theHomermomma flat out said "nothing that she is doing will get her closed down." If the original owner is doing nothing illegal and she no longer has any animals in her possession, I have difficulty believing that any agency would investigate something with little chance of succeeding.

I don't expect any of these questions to get answered. They were stated because there are valid concerns regarding legitimacy of all this, and it was all due to a complete lack and disregard for transparency.
Previous |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders