Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Diet
Sugar Glider Diet
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
02:11:06 PM
I have had my sugar glider (Chloe) for about a year and half. While we were waiting for her to be ready to take home from the breeder, we did a lot of research on how to take care and feed a sugar glider. (To be honest, I have never heard of a sugar glider up until 2 yrs ago ... my boyfriend googled good pets for apartments - and before I knew it we were on a waiting list to for Chloe from a breeder.) There are so many diets for sugar gliders, but we decided to go with a more natural approach. Sugargliderinfo . org - suggests to use their "gliderchow" pellet food - this should be 75% of their diet and 25% from fresh fruits and veggies.
The problem is - Chloe will not eat her dry food. I've even tried buying some eucalyptus dry food to mix in with glider chow - and she liked it for a hot second. Her main nutrition now is coming from what I give her at night: anything from sliced apples, grapes, fresh frozen mixed veggies, edamame (deshelled no salt added) apple sauce, watermelon, carrots, HB egg and Yogurt (occassionaly givin) I give her, her glidermins every other night - but find that she is very picky about eating foods that are sprinkled with it. I sometimes will mix it in with baby food (either apple sauce or Chicken and Apples {no preservatives added - ing say chicken, apples and nothing else} For treats I'll give her a unsalted cashew, sometimes ill let her have peanut butter (just a little bit licked off my finger or honey)
As most suggies do, she has become very paticuliar with her food lately and her old favorites she does not like. Im running out of ideas on what to give her and worried she is not getting the proper nutrtion.
On another note, she seems perfectly healthy and happy. She chirps a lot which always makes me smile, she loves to play and most of all snuggle! She really is the best pet ever. (And the most spoiled suggie ever.. she has her own living room set, bedroom set, car and track for the car, and boat!)
My question is - Am I giving my sugar glider the proper nutrition that she needs? I am trying my best to make sure she has fresh fruits - veggies - protien,calcium, and limited fats in her diet. Again, she seems to be very healthy and happy but I want to make sure that I am giving her everything she needs so that she will live for a very long time. (I cant imagine my life without her - shes my little buddy and I love her to death! My boyfriend and I joke that she is the baby before the baby and its the truth!)
Any advice, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!!
Cara (aka Chloe's Mommy)

Some pics of my adoarble Chloe:

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2011
02:17:06 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
If you've done research, then you know that the site you referenced, and the pellets you mentioned, are promoted by the largest glider mill broker in the country.

They are garbage, as is his recommended diet. If I were your glider, I wouldn't eat them either!

I feed a modified HPW Original, and my gliders love it.
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
02:17:52 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
First off welcome, and I'm so glad you found this site. And your glider is precious, the halloween pic is too cute!

Pellets for the most part are crap, Sugar glider info . org is crap (run by a mill breeder who just looks for profit, not for the animal)
This site is AMAZING- research on here to find your little one a good diet. HPW, BML, Suggie soup are all great, and there are more! Pellets are hard, gliders are naturally sap suckers. Its no wonder gliders don't like pellets in comparison to their natural diet!
Rule of thumb for diet is 50% protein, 25% fruit, 25% veggies.
Tonight, boil up some chicken (no seasoning) and give it to her, I'd put money on it she'll gobble it right up! It will be like eating real food after eating potato chips for months.

She also needs a friend, someone to cuddle with, play with, and talk to in her own language. Gliders shouldn't be alone, it can make them sick. She'll become a completely different glider once she has a friend! Its incredible! I speak from experience.

Ask as many questions as you need! We realize its a lot of information all the sudden, but I promise everyone here as only the best intentions.

Edited by - angelmom on Oct 09 2011 02:22:31 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2011
02:19:03 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
I love the goodies in that trick or treat bag. How adorable!!!!
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
02:39:13 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valkyriemome</i>
<br />If you've done research, then you know that the site you referenced, and the pellets you mentioned, are promoted by the largest glider mill broker in the country.

They are garbage, as is his recommended diet. If I were your glider, I wouldn't eat them either!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">THIS!!!!!!!!!
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
05:25:15 PM
wadelynaaron Glider Visit wadelynaaron's Photo Album 131 Posts
There are many great diets out there. I feed my gliders HPW Plus. Here are the website for it.

www.critterlove.com/default.htm
www.hpwplus.com/default.htm

You can also check out this one. It has many of the diets listed and gives you the info for them. (what you need and what to feed with it)

sweet-sugar-gliders.com/sugar-glider-diet-recipes.html

Please take the time to read each site and pick the best diet that will work for you and your glider. Also, You should look into getting her a friend..
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
06:03:04 PM
wadelynaaron Glider Visit wadelynaaron's Photo Album 131 Posts
Thanks jjmurph.. I don't know how to links clickable yet..
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2011
06:32:46 PM
jjmurph Face Hugger GliderMap Visit jjmurph's Photo Album USA 836 Posts
you click the earth and put the link in between
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
06:32:48 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wadelynaaron</i>
<br />Thanks jjmurph.. I don't know how to links clickable yet..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Replace the parentheses () with brackets []
(url)www.viciousencounters.etsy.com(/url)

Ps. Do you like my product placement? :P
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2011
06:34:20 PM
jjmurph Face Hugger GliderMap Visit jjmurph's Photo Album USA 836 Posts
yeah i really want your 13 piece set but dont have enough money
Food, Diet
Oct 09 2011
06:40:56 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valkyriemome</i>
<br />
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

More info. on this please valkyrimome!

And beautiful pics cara~you're baby is adorable.

I feed HPW also
Error, missing URL. /
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 10 2011
06:54:31 PM
carafernicola Joey Gliderpedia Editor Visit carafernicola's Photo Album 43 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the advice! I will take everything into consideration and research all the links. We want to get Chloe a friend, this may be another post.. but how do you introduce a new glider to a only child glider lol? We already have a name picked out, we do want another female.. her name would be princess pickles. (silly i know.. but cute!) any advice would again...be greatly appreciated!

:) Cara
Food, Diet
Oct 10 2011
07:02:06 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
You can't put them together right away. You need to quarantine the new one for 30 days. Take her to the vet when you get her, then go back at the end of 30days to make sure everything is still ok. At that time you can slowly begin to introduce them... move their cages closer together, about a ft. apart so they get used to eachother. Swap toys & pouches so they get familiar with eachothers scents, then after you've done that for a couple weeks you can try to introduce them during tent time or bathroom time. They also need to be close to the same size. If not, the larger one can hurt the smaller one. There is plenty of info. under the resources tab at the top of the page.
Food, Diet
Oct 10 2011
07:20:35 PM
renee14150 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit renee14150's Photo Album 1850 Posts
Sugar Glider Diet

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Diet