Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toys I've Made
Toys I've Made
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
11:37:34 AM
For those of you interested in toy making, I've taken some pics of those I've made so maybe it'll get your own muse fired up and you'll be making toys in no time!

I started off with something small. I took these cat balls, added bells to them & attached them to those plastic baby rings. (They're on the shower curtain rod just for the photo shoot.) I liked these because you can place them side by side, or anywhere in the cage. OR, alternatively, you can loop them on a fleece rope or vine or baby chain. Here's an example:

I was at Toys R Us and came across this hard plastic ball that was supposed to have a flashing light if you throw it hard enough. Well, the light never worked but it makes a nice soft rattle. And being pretty, I thought I'd string it up with some beads.

Catwoman likes to jump on it from below and just hang on for a good swing!

Here are some more noise-makers. I've got 3 baby rattles I found at Hobby Lobby in the Party Section--specifically in the Baby Shower Area.

A variation of that was to take one rattle and a bell and hook them to a braided fleece. Obviously, you can make yours bigger & grander if you want.

Batman loves to forage, so I made this big foraging chandelier.

It is 26" long, with plastic maracas (Dollar Tree find), beads, plastic flower berets that I found at the Dollar Tree, and the foraging cups are mini Barrel of Monkeys (also found at the Dollar Tree). The monkeys are too small for my liking (I thought they'd be bigger) but waste not, want not, I used the container!

Here's a challenging foraging cup toy:

As you can see from these 2 pics, the cups can move to different heights if weight is put on them. I made this for Catwoman as she loves a good challenge! Haven't put them to the test yet as I made these last night.

She loves the swing!

And I was inspired by the "monkey rings" in a child's playground and made these. Catwoman comes up from the top and attacks them from there, but I don't care how she plays with it as so long as she's having fun!

Ball Pit

Lego Castle

Batmobile Bed

And while we didn't "make" these, I thought these were a great find & would list them here as Honorable Mention. (You never know what will inspire you when you go looking for a toy!)

A little girl's play pet carrier becomes a real pet plastic play house. All I have to do, is make some bedding, & get rid of the door. I have 2 so I can hang one up & let one be a floor toy.

And this all plastic tambourine I found at the Dollar Tree can be used as a floor toy for them to land on and make noise, or play with the plastic buttons. I could probably hang it up with a Baby Link but I'm afraid they might get an arm stuck so for now, it's going on the floor of the cage.

That's all I've got for now. I'm waiting for the mail to deliver my foraging cups, & Fast Track Wheel, but in the meantime, they've got plenty to do to keep them busy & happy.

By the way, for those of you in a pinch to make foraging toys, get those plastic condiment cups from fast food restaurants, punch a hole in them and string them up with either Rex Lace or Baby Links. I had a hard time finding foraging cups in my local stores so that's what I did until I got a hold of those mini Barrel of Monkeys containers.

Hope this inspires you!

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
11:46:59 AM
funfair Super Glider Visit funfair's Photo Album KS, USA 345 Posts
very nice good job your babys have a play ground.
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
11:50:21 AM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
Awesome toys!!!!
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
11:54:50 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
You are quite gifted in the toy making department. I like 'em all.
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
12:07:27 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
I could have wore out my *LIKE* button...
if I only had one...
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
12:11:24 PM
Charliebear Face Hugger Visit Charliebear's Photo Album 479 Posts
WOW i just made a ton of cage sets and i know how much time i put in. You must have put in DAYS!!! looks awesome!..great job
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
12:15:15 PM
Aud Glider Visit Aud's Photo Album FL, USA 153 Posts
Awesome toys! I use those cat balls to make all kinds of toys too! Thanks for the new ideas =D
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
12:16:31 PM
shminsy14 Glider USA 91 Posts
Wow! What awesome toys!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
12:20:28 PM
BlackDrappa Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BlackDrappa's Photo Album BlackDrappa's Journal NY, USA 1876 Posts
Love them! Jealous! Maverick would chew through all of those in 5 seconds, the little stinker! I may have to steal your ideas, but use fleece instead of string!
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
12:22:13 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts

Pictures
Oct 19 2011
12:35:19 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BlackDrappa</i>
<br />Love them! Jealous! Maverick would chew through all of those in 5 seconds, the little stinker! I may have to steal your ideas, but use fleece instead of string!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

XD I'm lucky I don't have any chewers. (As of yet. Who knows? I may be speaking too soon! I am actually off to Home Depot to see if I can find some plastic chain. Got more ideas for future toys. At this rate, I'm going to have to find a plastic toy chest for them.

Thanks everyone for your applause! I truly hope I can help ppl get started in the toy making department. I started off small & after a while, my projects just get bigger & bolder. I suppose it's like anything you do: when you're new, you stink but as you keep practicing, you gain experience and get better at it.

My babies got me working so hard at toy making, I'm starting to think I'm a Christmas Elf!

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
01:05:41 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
Have they broken the baby rattle yet? mine had margarits like ones and smashed them LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
02:06:29 PM
TazandEllie Face Hugger TazandEllie's Journal 467 Posts
great job!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
02:19:14 PM
Raven2evil Super Glider Visit Raven2evil's Photo Album USA 224 Posts
Yay I love them. I'm glad to hear Roise loves the toys and that she's happy.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
02:44:02 PM
eva44 Glider GliderMap Visit eva44's Photo Album 134 Posts
I love that you have a Batmobile for him!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
04:13:42 PM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
Fun. Fun,. and so much more fun. I think I should make some new toys. You have inspired me to get out the boxes of junk I have gotten from the Dollar Tree and go crazy, LOL. Thanks for the inspiration.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
05:57:15 PM
b.m.k Super Glider GliderMap Visit b.m.k's Photo Album FL, USA 368 Posts
Nothing like watching their curious little minds conquer something :) Mine are FINALLY taking to the toys I made them! Great ideas.
Pictures
Oct 19 2011
06:07:00 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Raven2evil</i>
<br />Yay I love them. I'm glad to hear Roise loves the toys and that she's happy.

I was thinking that hammock looked familiar...I was loosing my mind for a moment, I am so glad that you found Rosie a new home, and on top of that one that gives such detailed updates on how spoiled she is!

RChurch, I think the hoards of toys you have made are awesome!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
09:39:59 PM
AvasMommy Glider Visit AvasMommy's Photo Album 140 Posts
Your gliders are very Spoiled rotten.
Pictures
Oct 20 2011
07:32:22 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JeremyLexie</i>
<br />Have they broken the baby rattle yet? mine had margarits like ones and smashed them LOL

Not yet & hopefully they won't. I don't care if they smash their toys or chew them up or whatever. So long as they are enjoying them, I'm happy. Besides, I can fix them or scrap things for parts & turn them into a brand new toy.

VE, I most certainly did adopt Rosie--what a joy she is! I got a VERY NICE cage set, too, might I add! Definitely want more of your sets so expect me to be blowing up your mailbox come Christmas.

Ava, what are suggies for except for the purpose of being spoiled rotten? Heheh. I'm not even remotely done making toys for them. I like variety about as much as they do, so I'm thinking of putting them on a weekly toy rotation.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 20 2011
12:26:47 PM
AvasMommy Glider Visit AvasMommy's Photo Album 140 Posts
I was told I have to stop making toys and items for my suggies because I don't have room anymore. They all have about 5 or 6 cage sets and toys coming out of their ears. I know thats the only addicting part of sugar gliders is the endless possibilities of toys!
Pictures
Oct 20 2011
12:50:57 PM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AvasMommy</i>
<br />I was told I have to stop making toys and items for my suggies because I don't have room anymore. They all have about 5 or 6 cage sets and toys coming out of their ears. I know thats the only addicting part of sugar gliders is the endless possibilities of toys!

Here's what ya do. Take pictures of them all and start posting! I love it when members make toys and allow us to buy the extras! I buy toys every payday and am always looking for something new.
Pictures
Oct 26 2011
05:23:22 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hypnotist321</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AvasMommy</i>
<br />I was told I have to stop making toys and items for my suggies because I don't have room anymore. They all have about 5 or 6 cage sets and toys coming out of their ears. I know thats the only addicting part of sugar gliders is the endless possibilities of toys!

Here's what ya do. Take pictures of them all and start posting! I love it when members make toys and allow us to buy the extras! I buy toys every payday and am always looking for something new.

I don't know if I could sell toys. Give them away as gifts, yes, but sell...? I wouldn't know what to price them for starters, and then I'd worry too much about them getting torn apart, etc.
Toys I've Made

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toys I've Made