GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
fleas still!!!!!!!!!
fleas still!!!!!!!!!
Information
Oct 19 2011
09:08:23 PM
OK.... last week I sprayed my house with Siphotrol Plus II Spray

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=4&gs_id=b&xhr=t&q=siphotrol+plus+ii+premise+spray+reviews&qe=c2lwaA&qesig=On8pUnv5tY6wZwiRN36VxQ&pkc=AFgZ2tl28gDC8t-W1nlHCNvB39hVCVZcUfWkU8RQO6iPCwR3ky3HjYCfLLJOlKX1ct-5zObnCbJYJXNNh1h33STfgKqyfKYYfg&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1584&bih=757&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=346262382548500558&sa=X&ei=B4GfTontOIr20gH9y_GeBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFoQ8gIwAQ

I STILL have fleas bouncing around the house! ONE can is supposed to treat up to 2000 sq ft. My house is HALF that and I used a whole can on 2 rooms, these two rooms still have live fleas in them. SO, my sister told me to get Virbac Knockout Area Treatment

http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/knockout#fragment-1

Not seen a bad review on Knockout yet EXCEPT where a lady's cat threw up 8 times! This is her review--- My home was infested fleas and my cat was being bitten so much that he avoided walking on the carpet. I decided to use Knockout ES because of the good reviews. I took my cat to the car, away from the house during the application of Knockout. 2 hours later, I opened all the windows and doors and winded out all the fume and vacuumed the carpet for another hour before allow my cat back in. That night, my cat vomitted 8 times. The Vet told me he was poisoned by the active ingedients in Knockout. We isolated him to a room where we didn't spray for two days and he was fine.

The spray did kill all the fleas in the house but vet fee and pain and suffering of my cat cost me.

OBVIOUSLY I am scared crapless to use this in the house with my sweet suggies! I don't know what to do! I was going to re-apply the Siphotrol, but if I used a whole can on half my house and it was supposed to treat twice the size of my house and fleas are still alive and jumping, it obviously didn't work. WHAT DO I DO?!?!
 Look what I found on Ebay
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 19 2011
10:39:59 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
You HAVE to use it on the whole house- its not an option.
If you only do one or two rooms they move to avoid the spray.
You're just gonna have to bomb the whole house at once, its the only way to get rid of them.
Trust me, I've been through this many many times :/
Sorry you're having issues.
Information
Oct 19 2011
10:50:21 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
angelmom is right. Those evil little things hide in cracks & crevices in your baseboards or anywhere else they can escape the spray. You can kill the adults but if the spray doesn't kill the eggs, they just hatch & you're back to square one. You'll need to bomb then you need to wipe the residue off of all surfaces. That's the part I hate about bombing...the huge wipedown & washing all the dishes in the house, ect.
Information
Oct 20 2011
08:00:13 AM
waterburyk9 Super Glider Visit waterburyk9's Photo Album 297 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/how_2143028_rid-fleas-home-naturally.html

I would not use the bomb- try Diatomaceous Earth- it must be the food grade not the swimming pool grade.

It is non-toxic and works- we use it at the shelter when we have an infestation or a poor animal that comes in loaded. It makes a bit of a mess leaving a white powder on the floor, but you can eat it and not get sick from it which is a great plus .

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 21 2011
09:08:39 PM
LuuLuu Face Hugger GliderMap Visit LuuLuu's Photo Album USA 970 Posts
lil update-- I bought some Borax today. Thought I would rule out every possibility I can before breaking down to bomb the house.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 22 2011
03:02:45 PM
Breezer Glider GliderMap MN, USA 70 Posts
Why don't you go stay at a friend or relative's house overnight with your babies after spraying the house?
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 22 2011
07:40:53 PM
nobody will take the dog...especially a dog that carried the fleas that infested the house to begin with.... I've asked
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 22 2011
09:43:31 PM
waterburyk9 Super Glider Visit waterburyk9's Photo Album 297 Posts
Have you spoken to your vet about Capstar or some other form of flea control? Capstar starts working in 15 or 20 minutes and is amazing.

The Diatomaceous Earth can be used as a dry shampoo to kill the fleas as well. The borax method is almost the same as the DE method, except your dog can eat the DE with no harmful affects- you might want to google it and see, it is a very good method that is not harmful to you or pets.
Information
Oct 22 2011
09:48:05 PM
petluv15 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit petluv15's Photo Album petluv15's Journal 1500 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by waterburyk9

Have you spoken to your vet about Capstar or some other form of flea control? Capstar starts working in 15 or 20 minutes and is amazing.

Capstar is now sold at Petsmart. I'd highly recommend it as well. It'll kill all the adult fleas -still have to follow up with vaccuuming and a longer lasting flea control, but can be used at the same time as topicals.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 22 2011
09:49:18 PM
the cat got capstar, but the dog got the pill that lasts the whole month,... and i just found a flea on me in my bedroom..... I swear, I"m going to burn this house down!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 22 2011
10:08:04 PM
khigh Super Glider Visit khigh's Photo Album 290 Posts
Remember with the pills that it is nicotine derivative they are taking and though it says it is safe for regular use, it has not been tested long term. All the nicotine must pass through the liver. I would only use it as a last resort!
 Look what I found on Ebay
Information
Oct 22 2011
11:14:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by khigh

Remember with the pills that it is nicotine derivative they are taking and though it says it is safe for regular use, it has not been tested long term. All the nicotine must pass through the liver. I would only use it as a last resort!

believe me... every time i've done something to deal with these fleas, it's been a last resort! lol .... i don't use a flea treatment on my animals in the winter anyway.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 23 2011
08:56:13 AM
DoubleBogey Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit DoubleBogey's Photo Album USA 1244 Posts
What are you putting on your pets in addition to the carpet treatments? Have you also tried steam cleaning the carpets with a really strong suction cleaner?
Question
Oct 23 2011
04:05:35 PM
ilovemysuggies Glider Visit ilovemysuggies's Photo Album 136 Posts
take equal parts baking soda and salt mix it together and spread it around ur house. leave some in corner here and there. also take some dawn dish washing liquid and put it in a bowl stick it under a light at night and when u wake up it will be full of fleas, good luck to u.

p,s after u vacuum take the vacuum directly outside. or the !s that still alive will get out.

Edited by - ilovemysuggies on Oct 23 2011 04:07:48 PM
Information
Oct 23 2011
06:06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleBogey

What are you putting on your pets in addition to the carpet treatments? Have you also tried steam cleaning the carpets with a really strong suction cleaner?

KIM! Where you been, lady?!

BUster has the pill that lasts a month and the cat got the 24 hour pill then a spot on treatment.

How long does it take for the BOrax to kill them? Can I still vacuum? Or do I have to go like 2 weeks without vacuuming to kill the fleas? I put the borax on there a couple/few days ago and just walked in there and my socks got a half a dozen fleas on them! UGH I want them gone NOW
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 23 2011
07:23:10 PM
What spot on? That does make a huge difference!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 23 2011
07:47:05 PM
hm... Revolution I think......
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 23 2011
10:46:50 PM
JamieDawn Super Glider Visit JamieDawn's Photo Album JamieDawn's Journal OR, USA 291 Posts
We had like hybrid devil fleas in my house or something NOTHING would kill them, so we used BOrax.
First day we vacuumed and got all the animals out of the house (this was pre-suggies) and put borax all over the carpets, focusing more around the edges of the rooms and we actually kept it on all the floors of the house for a few days, we we're desperate enough to just walk around in shoes and make sure it didn't touch our skin, we reapplied it every day over top of the coat from the day before.
Then after 4 or 5 days vacuumed it up. The key is to not do it one room at a time, we made that mistake originally because they just hop into the next room and then the next.

Put it on your mattresses for a few hours during the day too. And if you have a mattress and a box spring, put it in between the two.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 25 2011
06:43:27 PM
I would try Advantage for a month. Depending on your region, fleas can become resistant to certain flea meds.

Also, you need to do your house, dogs, and yard at the same time to control the population. It's also a good idea to get your neighbors to treat on the same day. Drop the dogs off at the groomers for a good flea bath and use borax in the house. For the yard, the best flea control is a CUP of DAWN dish detergent in a two gallon sprayer of water (with two gallons of water, of course). It is what your pest control agent would use if you have animals that use the yard and if you do it yourself, you aren't paying them the $100.

Then, in two weeks, repeat the process as then all the eggs will have hatched.
Information
Oct 25 2011
10:16:50 PM
TLattimore Starting Member 0 Posts
Hello, I'm a Vet Tech and I can tell you fleas are one of the most difficult pests to get rid of. I actually have a side business where I get rid of head lice and fleas are 100X worse. You HAVE to be consistent with your treatments. It sounds like you are on the right track and have gotten a lot of good advice, but it takes dilegence and patience. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have had them awhile and that all life cycles are present in your house. Therefore, it will take a good 3-4 weeks of consistency to break the life cycle. Don't give up, but don't let it get like this again (for your own sake). Every year, treat your dogs and cats with Revolution July, August and September and you will never see a flea again. Good luck, stay strong.
Information
Oct 26 2011
06:11:59 AM
Depending on the area, you have to possibly use flea prevention year round. We have to in Central Texas and I also had to in Oklahoma. It doesn't EVER get cold enough to kill the fleas, even when, in Oklahoma, we had a two week long freezing period.
Information
Oct 27 2011
04:25:30 PM
TLattimore Starting Member 0 Posts
Excellent point khigh. Sorry, I live in Indiana and if we treat the 3 months we are good. I wasn't thinking.
Information
Oct 27 2011
05:44:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TLattimore

Excellent point khigh. Sorry, I live in Indiana and if we treat the 3 months we are good. I wasn't thinking.

we got some stuff to treat the yard, but we have been beginning to get frosts here in West Virginia and we get cold winters, so, yeah, we only usually treat the pets starting in April or May to get a head start then quit around Aug or Sept..... apparently, the fleas stuck around longer this time
So, we haven't sprayed the yard cause it's only been in the 50's during the day and, I dunno lower 40's or so at night. I've not been using a humidifier (even though everyone in the house is sick) because I want it to be dry enough the fleas are uncomfortable. I have also been trying to keep the house cooler than usual... I feel bad for the suggie babies, but they have plenty fleece in their cage. The Borax seemed to help at least SOME. Got some Knockout coming in the mail, hopefully it will be the last thing we have to do.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2011
10:10:28 AM
Untouchable3 Glider Visit Untouchable3's Photo Album 57 Posts
GL with everything. I seen two fleas on my dog and took them off..
I spend 120$ at my vet to treat my dog and my house..needless to say those were the only two I found! Thank gosh!
fleas still!!!!!!!!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
fleas still!!!!!!!!!