Sugar Gliders
Totally fuming, female is a MALE
Next |
Page: of 2
Question
Oct 26 2011
07:00:20 PM
Adopted a glider in July from a breeder in the next state. Tonight I noticed a bald spot starting on my new "girl." GRRR. Sure enough, spot I thought was her pouch is a gland and "her" cloaca is starting to look puffier, like "her" testicles are dropping. UGH! So, into the travel cage until I can call the vet in the morning to have "her" neutered.

SO, my question now is can I go back to the breeder and demand some compensation? Not only did I most likely pay more for a female, but now I have the expense of the operation that was not expected. The vet I found in my area was helpful and nice but didn't seem overly knowledgable about gliders. I doubt he could perform the op, or maybe I am wrong.

I checked out our original glider and to my untrained eye, she doesn't seem to be pregnant. But I guess in a few weeks we'll know for sure. If she is, I hope I can find a good home for the baby, I certainly do not want 3.

Thanks for any advice. My heart is pounding and I'm just so annoyed/angry!!!
Question
Oct 26 2011
07:06:54 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
I hate to say it, but if this person couldn't even tell if they sold you a male or a female then I doubt they are gonna compensate you for anything. But hey, it's worth a try.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:09:42 PM
Part of the family Joey Visit Part of the family's Photo Album 17 Posts
I know it is sad. Her website is down. Great. I have an email, but doubt it will work as I think it is linked to the website. Grrrr, even more angry now.
I also cannot believe I never noticed the spot starting until today. I usually see the girls (ha, need to stop saying that!!) at night for half hour/hour and I am in the room busy when they are out to play. Lights are low, etc. I've tried not to bother them during the day in the sun, they seem happier that way. I had them out to play during the day when friends were over last Sunday, cannot believe I didn't notice it then.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:30:46 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Their testicles are in the middle of their belly, like a bunny tail stuck on their belly, not near their cloaca. Also, he would have a chest scent gland that is far above where a pouch would be.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:31:47 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Who was the breeder?
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:37:33 PM
Let it Glide, in VA. Now all info on the breeder is gone from the web.

I don't see a gland in the chest and what I thought was a pouch is certainly not protruding, it *almost* looks like a pouch but not quite. I have to blow the fur around to see it at all. Wouldn't the vet know? Well, the glider was little at that point so maybe not. But the bald spot is unmistakable! It doesn't help this one is such a squirm. My hands are completely torn up from trying to see her belly tonight.

I feel so stupid that I cannot tell. I would be certain she is a girl if not for the bald spot. For heavens sakes, I've had two of my own human children!!! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:39:16 PM
http://bmxglider.tripod.com/glideranatomy.html

Yes, a glider knowledgeable vet will know.
Question
Oct 26 2011
07:40:08 PM
BlackDrappa Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BlackDrappa's Photo Album BlackDrappa's Journal NY, USA 1876 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Part of the family</i>
<br />Let it Glide, in VA. Now all info on the breeder is gone from the web.

I don't see a gland in the chest and what I thought was a pouch is certainly not protruding, it *almost* looks like a pouch but not quite. I have to blow the fur around to see it at all. Wouldn't the vet know? Well, the glider was little at that point so maybe not. But the bald spot is unmistakable! It doesn't help this one is such a squirm. My hands are completely torn up from trying to see her belly tonight.

I feel so stupid that I cannot tell. I would be certain she is a girl if not for the bald spot. For heavens sakes, I've had two of my own human children!!! :)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The one glider could be grooming that spot too much or she/he could be doing it themselves to create a bald spot...I would go to someone knowledgable to get the glider sexed.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
07:45:12 PM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
If you can possibly get some pictures for us, we might be able to help you out.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
08:10:02 PM
Zoe0206 Glider Visit Zoe0206's Photo Album FL, USA 86 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as BlackDrappa, it could be overgrooming.
Question
Oct 26 2011
08:14:29 PM
Photos are uploaded to my main album if you have a chance to look. Thanks!
I also want to apologize to Let it Glide if I am wrong and they are right.
Now to worry about why the over-grooming...
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
08:18:38 PM
Looks kind of like a neutered male...with a bald spot. So odd.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
08:52:49 PM
eschiavoni2 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit eschiavoni2's Photo Album eschiavoni2's Journal 512 Posts
My neutered male sometimes has a very visible bald, spot and sometimes doesn't. It does kinda look like a neutered male. But I'm on my phone so its hard to see.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
09:02:42 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
Wow..I'm sure someone will come along who knows what is what..I've never seen a neutered male, except in pix..Only females, and intact males.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
09:05:01 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
But, for certain..Their testicles are closer to looking like an "outie" belly button..not down low, like most mammals.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
09:09:32 PM
That looks like a pom off neuter...with a small, open scar?
Question
Oct 26 2011
09:12:17 PM
Gabby (I'll still call her that for now :) was just bouncing around the cage and her tummy definitely looked like more of a slit. I was thinking neutered male too, although that would really make me mad that breeder passed her off as a female then.
When would the gland on the chest show up? I see nothing like that on her/him. She is only 5 months old.
I think I am going to rename her Chaz! :) DWTS!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 26 2011
09:33:06 PM
I guess a better question could be then...can females get bald spots? That's not something I've ever heard of. I'm just thinking it's a male because of the bald spot and the size of the opening. That's a mighty tiny pouch if she's a girl. She is still only 20 weeks or so though. I gotta say. The photos kind of stump me! The bald spot screams "male" though. My suggestion is have a glider knowledgeable vet give her/him a well check.
Question
Oct 26 2011
10:11:02 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kyro298</i>
<br />Their testicles are in the middle of their belly, like a bunny tail stuck on their belly, not near their cloaca. Also, he would have a chest scent gland that is far above where a pouch would be.
L
LOL Thats what i was gonna say.
Question
Oct 26 2011
10:20:29 PM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
I agree. I think you probably do have a neutered male, poms removed. I have five boys with poms off neuters...thinking this is probably the case with your baby. Still, it's not easy to tell. I'd get'em checked out by a vet knowledgeable of gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 27 2011
08:21:18 AM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
looks like a male to me too with pom off
Question
Oct 27 2011
01:51:46 PM
DCMuffin2007 Joey Visit DCMuffin2007's Photo Album 30 Posts
Where are you located in VA? I'm in Arlington...I'll be glad to help out if I can.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 27 2011
02:55:31 PM
RandE Glider Visit RandE's Photo Album USA 90 Posts
The only problem I can think of with 'her' being a neutered male is that when males are neutered at such a young age, their bald spots don't usually develop. The only neutered males I've seen with bald spots that size are adult males that had been neutered after years.....
Question
Oct 28 2011
09:05:26 AM
Thanks, DCMuffin2007, but we are north, actually almost to Baltimore. The breeder was in VA, south of Fredericksburg.

Gabby goes to a more knowledgable exotic pet vet on Monday for an eval and surgery ASAP if needed. Then if she really is a boy, Cassie will go in to see if she is pregnant. UGH. May have a baby for adoption soon... Two gliders are enough for me!

Thanks for the Laurel MD vet reco too. This board is awesome.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2011
09:34:36 AM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I am not thinking you will have to worry if shes pregnant, but if she was family units are fun kept together with all males neutered. I love my "family" cages!!!! That looks like a neutered male and older than what your saying. The scar looks like a pocket knife job, but that is all pure speculation. Looking forward to what a glider knowledgable vet has to say!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2011
09:38:54 AM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
or is that like a small scar where a pom was and another scar or pouch above that? do we have a hermaphrodite here?
Question
Oct 28 2011
09:43:49 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
Here's a good shot of Zoeys pouch.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2011
09:45:03 AM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
poor zoey is saying lord mama just show everyone my womanhood no privacy HAHA
Question
Oct 28 2011
09:47:34 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sjones5254</i>
<br />poor zoey is saying lord mama just show everyone my womanhood no privacy HAHA

Surprisingly she was out like a light! She fell asleep in my sweatshirt, I shimmied out of it & laid it on the couch. She was sprawled on her back when we noticed her pouch. My husband started looking at it...didn't even wake her!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 28 2011
01:36:38 PM
You're all too funny :) Yes, my other glider Cassie's pouch is huge. No mistaking she is a girl.

My husband and I had the same thought at first, Cora1, hermaphrodite!

Ugh, Monday cannot get here soon enough. If the breeder took a pocket knife to a baby, I'm going to drive the 4 hours and take a pocket knife to something of hers! UGH.

I also agree, that when I got "her" when she was ready to leave mama (mid-July and earlier than projected by the owner) that she seemed bigger/older. Weird, since I had been waiting since early June when baby was advertised. Unless "she" had to recover from surgery. I don't mind having a neutered boy, but selling her to me fraudulently really ticks me off.

Monday...too far away.
Question
Oct 28 2011
01:48:26 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
How could the breeder have taken a pocketknife and made a pouch?
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders