Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
raw egg?
raw egg?
Food, Diet
Nov 15 2011
06:08:06 PM
Can sugar gliders have raw eggs? I get my eggs fresh from a local farm. I know in the wild they eat bird eggs, so I was curious if this would be ok to do? I couldn't find any threads on this so I wasn't sure?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2011
06:11:01 PM
Pixie10 Super Glider Visit Pixie10's Photo Album 361 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this too!
Food, Diet
Nov 15 2011
06:24:16 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
The reason we cook them is to avoid Samonila (sp?) but someone posted a pic about a week ago of their glider eating a raw quail egg. They new the farmer. I think if you know the source it's better, as you do but store bought are a no-no because we obviously don't know the EXACT location of where the eggs come from. I'll search for that thread & post it if I find it.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2011
06:30:43 PM
beanie Face Hugger Visit beanie's Photo Album 504 Posts
Jazz if it helps your search, I think it was vicious that posted the pic and maybe khigh's post
Food, Diet
Nov 15 2011
06:45:26 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2011
06:59:03 PM
eschiavoni2 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit eschiavoni2's Photo Album eschiavoni2's Journal 512 Posts
Hm.. so the only raw egg that I saw was a quail egg. I don't know if that differs much from a chicken egg lol. I really think it would be fun for them but I don't want to cause harm to them over something that I think would be fun.
Food, Diet
Nov 15 2011
07:03:42 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eschiavoni2</i>
<br />Hm.. so the only raw egg that I saw was a quail egg. I don't know if that differs much from a chicken egg lol. I really think it would be fun for them but I don't want to cause harm to them over something that I think would be fun.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hopefully someone else will chime in but as you said, if it's a farm you are familiar with I would think it would be ok....again, they eat eggs in the wild.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2011
08:37:47 PM
khigh Super Glider Visit khigh's Photo Album 290 Posts
I will use chicken eggs as long as I know the source. I have used chicken, duck, pheasant, turkey, quail, and emu. Yep, I knew a guy back in Oklahoma with Emus!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2011
09:01:10 PM
eschiavoni2 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit eschiavoni2's Photo Album eschiavoni2's Journal 512 Posts
That's awesome, do you wash the eggs or anything? Do you out the whole egg in or crack it open or what?
Food, Diet
Nov 15 2011
10:45:06 PM
I bet you could gently poke a hole and pull away a bit of the shell so they have an easy start at it. Take pics if you decide to do this,...I'd love to see them!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 16 2011
05:00:50 AM
eshaw Glider 59 Posts
You asked about raw eggs and I'd have to say NOPE. The safest bet is to cook them.

These are some excerpts from an article I read:

"Chickens get doses of salmonella bacteria (of which there are 2,300 kinds) from their environment, which is easily contaminated by rodents, birds and flies. These carriers deliver the bacteria to all types of farms -- regardless of whether they're conventional, organic or free-range."

"Salmonella doubles every 20 minutes under ideal conditions," Keener said. "When sitting there for an hour, two could become 32. At two hours, there would be 1,000 organisms. At eight hours, it would be in the range of millions. In one egg."

Pastureized eggs are the safest bet.
raw egg?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
raw egg?