Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Learning and would love some tips
Information
Feb 12 2012
11:41:57 PM
So I am fairly new to the forum but I am told that for sugar glider help there's no better place than where I'm at. Web or otherwise. So I'm happy to be asking people who know. I have three gliders Maxie, jojo, and nala and I've bonded very closely with Maxie very quickly and my mom has as well. I think it's bc he was sick initially and now he's progressively getting a little better. Jojo and nala are a yr and a half and have been a little tougher. I feel like I'm making wonderful progress being that ive only had them 12 days and they already glide back to me immediately if I put them down anywhere bc I spend hours at a time bonding w the two of them, but I definitely need some parenting tips. Aside from treats how can I get my babies to love me? I want them to enjoy my company which I think they're starting to but I know there's much I don't know due to lack of experience. Does anyone have any tips for bonding closely and helping them to love and want me? Time is something I DO have it's the knowledge that I'm missing. All I know is I love my babies as much as any person close to me if not more and it means the world to me to have them feel something mutual toward me. Again it's the experience that I'm looking for bc I've already read a lot online but it can't compare to what you guys on here have to offer in that you've lived it! Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or stories you can share regarding bonding/loving.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 12 2012
11:47:17 PM
fox0r Face Hugger Gliderpedia Editor Visit fox0r's Photo Album USA 496 Posts
Short answer? Time.

Just like with forming relationships with people, trust develops over time. You're earning their trust. It sounds like you're doing awesomely so far.

What are you doing for daytime bonding? Bonding pouch (or in your shirt, or whatever)? If so, then that's great.

Doing play time at night? If so, woo!

You already said you're giving them treats, that's always a good way to suck up. :D

It sounds like they at least like you at this point! Just remember to keep going at their pace, and continue to spend time with them and love on them just like you're doing, and in time they'll love you too!

Edited by - fox0r on Feb 12 2012 11:47:57 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
12:22:08 AM
newby Face Hugger Visit newby's Photo Album 527 Posts
Have to agree with fox0r. TIME
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
10:06:44 AM
Grace Face Hugger Visit Grace's Photo Album 428 Posts
Yes, time is a big thing. I had my boy for about 2 months, and he was almost tamed to the point where I could stick my hand in the pouch and he would crabb, but not bite. I've had my girls for almost 3 weeks,and every day I have some new flesh wound... but I stick with them because I know the abuse they have been through and how they seriously distrust people. Every now and then you will get an "AHA!" moment, and realize that they are starting to trust you, if not love you, bit by bit. It's a beautiful moment to bring home an abused baby that has been on a horrible diet and watch them taste an approved diet for the first time. It brings tears to my eyes, because you can always tell that they love it, but have no idea what it is. OH, and the thing with the treats-it helps a lot to have treats for them. People use yoggies, but as they are high in fat, sugar and low in actual great bacteria, I use cranberries, which they love just as much, and supports healthy urinary health. Just a tip! You're doing well so far! Just remember, we are huge and scary, and they are so very tiny.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
10:57:23 AM
fox0r Face Hugger Gliderpedia Editor Visit fox0r's Photo Album USA 496 Posts
Please keep us updated on how these guys are doing with their bonding journey. :D I always love to hear how gliders are coming along.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
07:24:55 PM
simonglider Starting Member 3 Posts
Im glad to announce that I think I have reached a great milestone and I am extremely excited! For the last 3 or 4 days when I put my hand in the pouch that they sleep in I get absolutely NO crabbing. The worst I get is a little sneezing sound once every few minutes and I am not even sure if that's negative or not (I've heard people say both about the sneezing). My next goal is to get to the point where I can have them on me and them not get scared and jittery when other people around me make a noise. They stay on me almost exclusively though.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders