Sugar Gliders
Starting a Glider Rescue
Next |
Page: of 2
Starting a Glider Rescue
Rescue
Feb 21 2012
07:50:32 PM
I have started a Glider rescue in Colorado as we do not have one here anymore. We will take in all strays or if you can't take care of them anymore. I have 3 huge cages empty so if any one has or knows anyone who has a glider(s) we will be more than glad to take them in. We currently have 2 gliders who I am nursing back to health before I put them up for adoption. Thanks so much in advance :)
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2012
08:01:52 PM
khigh Super Glider Visit khigh's Photo Album 290 Posts
Are you sure you are ready? It's not just get more gliders because you have more cages. I know that the rescues spend tons and tons of money at the vet and tons and tons of time just taking care of them.

Nevermind. After reading your posts, you are NOT ready to rescue. You keep asking basic questions, that if you are a rescue, people will be asking YOU and needing YOU to be able to answer them without hesitation.
Rescue
Feb 21 2012
08:12:30 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I'm definitely going to agree with KHigh here. For all the questions you were asking on your threads, you should probably know the answers if you want to be a rescue. What will happen when you get so many rescues you can't handle them all? How about sick gliders? Can you avoid vet bills? Are these two gliders you are nursing back to health the ones you started off with?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2012
08:54:38 PM
Shorty_n_ClarasMama Face Hugger Visit Shorty_n_ClarasMama's Photo Album 914 Posts
You are not ready to be a rescue. You are still needing to learn about the gliders you have and how to properly care for and bond with them.

Not to long ago, you were asking for help in locating a companion for the glider your originally got.

I suggest you step back from the rescue idea and really learn about gliders and their needs before deciding to become a rescue.

You also need to make sure you have a good chunk of money set aside for vet bills. Many gliders come in sick or injured. (Vet bills can EASILY get into the thousands...)

You need the space to quarantine.

You will need to neuter all males.

You will be have to be prepared to keep any and all gliders you take in, providing for them until they die of old age as they will be your responsibility if they do not get adopted.

There is sooo much that goes into rescue. Time, money, heart ache...it is not an endeavor to be taken to lightly.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2012
09:03:21 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
maybe instead of saying you want to be a rescue maybe you should try fostering a cage or two of gliders first and see how that goes. but i agree that you should put that off for a bit as well and just learn more about gliders. thesweetspot.forumotion.net/ maybe go here and get a mentor.
Rescue
Feb 21 2012
09:21:27 PM
Edwardcc15 Joey 17 Posts
Thanks for the concern guys im not over the rescue I'm just fostering for the two other ladies. We all 3 are starting it up they are very experienced & can answer any question I have or anyone else has. We have plenty of money set aside for this.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2012
10:05:08 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
I hate to discourage You Edward..but a rescue is a HUGE undertaking..And would require a fairly large bank account to even handle the minimum veterinary bills for a few gliders..All males would need to be neutered..and my Vet (I know he isn't the cheapest) charges $235.00 for the pre surg exam & neutering.
Many of us have had our gliders for a few years..and some of us have had gliders for many years, and yet would never think of trying to run a rescue.
I'm a bit curious how old You are?
By the questions You have asked it is obvious You have lots of basic things to learn..Having gliders is a never ending learning experience.
If You can volunteer helping with some other peoples gliders, that would be a great way to gain experience.
I hope You have taken the opportunity to watch Lucky Glider Rescue's videos on Youtube?..That would be the place to start.
Good luck to You..I admire that You want to help gliders (or any other animals), and I wish You success in all You do.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2012
10:15:46 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
Have you sent in the paperwork for your 501c3?
Rescue
Feb 21 2012
10:17:18 PM
Shorty_n_ClarasMama Face Hugger Visit Shorty_n_ClarasMama's Photo Album 914 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Edwardcc15</i>
<br />Thanks for the concern guys im not over the rescue I'm just fostering for the two other ladies. We all 3 are starting it up they are very experienced & can answer any question I have or anyone else has. We have plenty of money set aside for this.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If this were true, would they not have answered your basic questions without you needing to ask here? Just sayin'.

I think rescue is really not a good idea until you have a lot more experience under your belt. I really agree with watching the videos and also get in touch with some of the rescues to learn more about what it entails and all that goes into it.

I do not know what you consider "plenty" of money, bur rescue eats up funds like you would not believe!!!! What you think is a lot will be gone before you know it.

Who will foot the vet and care bills when the funds you have run out? I have to tell you (through rescue experience with dogs) that a lot of personal money goes into rescue. You can not count on donations, fundraisers, and certainly not adoption fees to cover costs.

I think wanting to operate a rescue is a wonderful "idea" but many quickly become overwhelmed when they have more fosters than they can take care of and when funds run out before they "expect" them too. Then they are left trying to "get rid" of all the resues they took into begin with.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 22 2012
01:01:16 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Are you Incorporated as a non-profit corporation under the laws of your state?

Have you obtained any state or local permits for operating an animal rescue in your home? Does your state require licensing? If you will charge an adoption fee, you will also need to have USDA Broker Licensing.

Will you be applying for 501c3 Tax status with the Internal Revenue Service?

There is SO much more to becoming a Sugar Glider Rescue than just Stating that you are one.

Here is some additional information prepared with input from several established glider rescue homes that may help you with this decision:

<b>http://www.gliderkids.com/SOYOUWANTTOBErescue.pdf </b>

I hope anyone with the desire to be a Glider Rescue will read this as well.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 22 2012
03:22:11 PM
Rasaphane Super Glider Visit Rasaphane's Photo Album SC, USA 259 Posts
How old are you? Can you honestly say at this point in your life you're ready to give up a lot of your life to devote to these gliders and the recovery process. An rescuing it's not just one or 2 gliders coming in a time. The real pick up seasons are after summer and Christmas when many families get them for their kids or high scholars get them and realize they just can't do it and go to school.

I mean if you were some rich retiree or have 3,000+ dollars set aside to devote to just animals and you have experienced people who would run it and you're just funding it then I'd still say hold up. Considering what others have said above you being new to gliders means that you don't have a good idea of what is "experience" and what is possibly someone who still does outdated stuff combined with new concepts or just overall all their knowledge is outdated.

You'd be surprised how these little guys will wrack up the bills. Vet bills, bills in cage sets and toys you'll need to furnish the cages, the water bill for the location considering you'll spend a lot of time washing cage sets especially if you get some gliders that are diseased. You'd have to do a crazy amount of laundry to go back and forth between cages alone if you want to "properly" quarantine. If this won't be at someone's residence then you'll spend money renting a facility and paying bills and the gas money you'll use up to go back and forth and then if it's a separate facility than a residence then you'd need more than 3 people, you'd need a lot of people to cycle through, people who can be there at night, people to be there during the day. We're not talking about 100% healthy gliders when it comes to a rescue so of course they'll need to be watched.

Do you and those people even know how to nurse rejected joeys when pregnant rescues come in and reject them from the stress? Can you say you're not afraid to get bit by aggressive gliders or push fluids if the gliders are dropped off dehydrated? Are you ready for the deaths of the ones you won't be ale to save?

Honestly I don't think all of this is worth the stress and tears and heartbreak. I would leave it to someone with the time,energy, and life experience. Plenty of new people just like you have come here wanting to do that or breed. Normally it doesn't go well if members can't talk them out of it.

I wish you good luck, I know your heart is in the right place. Just make sure you can devote more love to the rescues than you can for your own gliders, because coming in they'll defiantly need a heavy dose of TLC
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 22 2012
05:32:57 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I don't know if Jamie has closed Suggie Savers' doors for good or not, although she isn't taking anymore in now that I know of. Haven't talked to her in a while. Maybe you should contact her to pick her brain. Are you in Denver too?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2012
09:57:21 PM
GlidingHome Joey Visit GlidingHome's Photo Album 23 Posts
Just FYI I happen to know of two sugar glider rescues besides Suggie Savers that are based out of CO. So don't rush into anything thinking the gliders don't have any other options because they do.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
12:08:35 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Really? There are two more licensed and legitimate rescues here? Do tell because in the five years I've been a part of the glider community, no one has ever mentioned another true rescue anywhere around here. It would be helpful info to have.

Why you feel the need to go on the defense because I simply suggested you contact Jamie is beyond me.

Also, where did I once say gliders don't have options?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
12:14:27 AM
Wait a minute...your very first post completely contradicts what you just said. So, there are two other "rescues" besides you, based out of CO, or there are no other rescues here. Your info is conflicting and vague.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
01:18:16 AM
tuees new mom Super Glider Visit tuees new mom's Photo Album USA 290 Posts
Is Glidinghome the same person as Edward? I am confused.

I can't agree enough that if you are asking basic questions of a forum, don't already have a vet and haven't taken your current gliders to the vet, you need to take a step back.

I am further confused because you ask about vet cost to make sure your glider is okay but state you are fostering for other people and the same people are starting the rescue with you?????? Please do tell
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
01:31:05 AM
Nope, I screwed up there...I mixed them up. I totally combined the two. Oops! Still interested in the info though!
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
09:00:43 AM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GlidingHome</i>
<br />Just FYI I happen to know of two sugar glider rescues besides Suggie Savers that are based out of CO. So don't rush into anything thinking the gliders don't have any other options because they do.

Where?Who?
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
09:03:42 AM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Edwardcc15</i>
<br />I have started a Glider rescue in Colorado as we do not have one here anymore. We will take in all strays or if you can't take care of them anymore. I have 3 huge cages empty so if any one has or knows anyone who has a glider(s) we will be more than glad to take them in. We currently have 2 gliders who I am nursing back to health before I put them up for adoption. Thanks so much in advance :)

Edwardcc15, we have a rescue in Van Alstyne TX. We used to be in NV but we moved a few years ago. You are welcome to come here and spend a week with us volunteering. We always welcome people to help us clean 30+ cages (over 80 rescues at present), interact with the rescues, prepare food, do provisioning, nail cutting, etc. We can share information on animal husbandry, suggie courses, diet, rescue paperwork, 501(c)3, USDA Class B licensing - whatever you want to know. We can also show you our vet and food bills. After that week, you may be better prepared to take the plunge if you still like the idea. Please let us know if you would like to do this and we will make the arrangements with you.
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
09:40:04 AM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
We have a few breeders in Colorado that claim to rescue, but I have never heard of a non-profit glider rescue besides Jamie.
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
09:47:55 AM

Feb 11 2012 : 11:13:21 AM

<br />Hi everyone, I have one sugar glider already but I am looking for another one. I don't want her to get lonely. I live in Colorado but willing to go to surrounding states. If you know of anyone or you have one please let me know. You can email if that would be easier sierramist150072@yahoo.com ive checked Craigslist, petfinder, & hoobly. Thanks so much in advance.

Posted - Feb 21 2012 : 06:50:32 PM
<br />I have started a Glider rescue in Colorado as we do not have one here anymore. We will take in all strays or if you can't take care of them anymore. I have 3 huge cages empty so if any one has or knows anyone who has a glider(s) we will be more than glad to take them in. We currently have 2 gliders who I am nursing back to health before I put them up for adoption. Thanks so much in advance :)

Why not just keep the 2 you are nursing back to health?

It sounds like you just want free gliders.
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
10:00:23 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Scott...I hate when I agree with you.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
10:16:59 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
I appreciate your want to help them :-)
I've thought about doing rescue again - but before I let all the business get started for gliders I have to wait for the next house to be built and a room specifically for gliders to be ready. (I'm dreaming big - the plans are fantastic). Before I have more than my own, I want 'facilities' in order and ready to go. These little guys take serious effort, money and time to give them a 'full' life. I've got my hands full just trying to keep my own 5 entertained. (Animal that don't have to live in cages are sooo much easier)
Heated Debates
Feb 24 2012
10:18:12 AM
LOL @ O&K'sGma.
Thanx Scott for posting that post!!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
10:20:30 AM
Edward ~> You might want to post some pertinent information on your profile.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
10:23:48 AM
Something_To_Believe_In Face Hugger Visit Something_To_Believe_In's Photo Album 647 Posts
hmmmmm.

You were looking for gliders on Jan. 27 when you contacted me and now you are starting a rescue?

And, I, too, would like to know of other rescues in Colorado.

Edited by - Something_To_Believe_In on Feb 24 2012 10:29:19 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
10:28:42 AM
I think that most of us here would start a glider rescue.............
....if we hit the lottery.
In the meantime let's just do what we can to help, where we can help.
Edward ~> I just think You jumped the gun, and it makes it appear You want free gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
10:29:29 AM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
i agree with Val HMMMMMMMM
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
11:46:36 AM
love my babies Joey 33 Posts
Edward- I have had gliders for many, many years. I stumbled upon this site a while back and though I have found some very interesting information, I have also found that there are some people who have entirely too much time on their hands. Owning gliders is like anything else. Just like you will find dog owners who cook their dogs meals every night and dress them up there are just as many who feed the cheapest dog food on the market, don't clip nails and don't take them to the vet.

My point is- there are fanatics everywhere. Some of these people on this site would like to compare caring for gliders to performing brain surgery. The cold hard fact is, it's just not that difficult to care for them. It's just not. Are the gliders who belong to "fanatics" happier, maybe, but since they can't talk we don't know. For all we know the gliders who get put around in shirts all day are hating their life. We don't know. They may be thinking “I hate the way she smells” or “I can’t sleep with all the moving around he does”. WE DON’T KNOW. Do I feed one of the “approved” diets? No, but the ages of some of my older gliders tells me I don’t need to. Do I take mine out and about with me during the day or at night when I’m out, yes. They seem to be “fine” with it so I do it. They don’t smile at me or wag their tail or purr to let me know they are happy, so I bring them because it makes me happy.

Anyway, if you want to start a rescue, go for it. Will there be lots of work involved, sure, but obviously you already know that. With that said, it wouldn’t hurt you to seek the advice of another rescue to get some pointers. But the bottom line is- if you are willing to take in unwanted gliders and care for them, it’s a heck of a lot better then having them passed around to other people who know zero about gliders. Do you have a lot to learn? Sounds like it, but do you need to do everything by the book according to this site, no.
Rescue
Feb 24 2012
12:03:26 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by love my babies</i>
<br />Edward- I have had gliders for many, many years. I stumbled upon this site a while back and though I have found some very interesting information, I have also found that there are some people who have entirely too much time on their hands. Owning gliders is like anything else. Just like you will find dog owners who cook their dogs meals every night and dress them up there are just as many who feed the cheapest dog food on the market, don't clip nails and don't take them to the vet.

My point is- there are fanatics everywhere. Some of these people on this site would like to compare caring for gliders to performing brain surgery. The cold hard fact is, it's just not that difficult to care for them. It's just not. Are the gliders who belong to "fanatics" happier, maybe, but since they can't talk we don't know. For all we know the gliders who get put around in shirts all day are hating their life. We don't know. They may be thinking “I hate the way she smells” or “I can’t sleep with all the moving around he does”. WE DON’T KNOW. Do I feed one of the “approved” diets? No, but the ages of some of my older gliders tells me I don’t need to. Do I take mine out and about with me during the day or at night when I’m out, yes. They seem to be “fine” with it so I do it. They don’t smile at me or wag their tail or purr to let me know they are happy, so I bring them because it makes me happy.

Anyway, if you want to start a rescue, go for it. Will there be lots of work involved, sure, but obviously you already know that. With that said, it wouldn’t hurt you to seek the advice of another rescue to get some pointers. But the bottom line is- if you are willing to take in unwanted gliders and care for them, it’s a heck of a lot better then having them passed around to other people who know zero about gliders. Do you have a lot to learn? Sounds like it, but do you need to do everything by the book according to this site, no.

If people pointing out that this person JUST starting even asking the most basic of questions about gliders, is contacting other rescues looking for gliders and even asking about how much it would cost to go to the vet makes us "fanatics", I can live with that. This isn't somewhere people need to be sending their gliders at this point.

Here we go again...the people that take some time to post are fanatics with no lives. Yep, you know us so well. Busted! Believe me, the "fanatics" appreciate your input as much as you appreciate theirs.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2012
12:11:52 PM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts
Love it Kyro! I am wondering if we have a few "trolls" posting on this thread.
Starting a Glider Rescue
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Starting a Glider Rescue