Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Need help! Wanting to clean my cage!
Question
Mar 30 2012
08:44:40 PM
First time Sugar Glider owner and I need to know how often I should be cleaning my babies cage and with what.

Any suggestions on an easy way to clean the cage? Please let me know!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2012
08:47:03 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I clean mine weekly but I have five and luckily, they aren't unusually messy. They don't make their sleeping pouches dirty and we use a glider kitchen for eating. You can use Clorox wipes for basic wipe downs, but you'll want to go behind that with water. Other people use vinegar/water. Some people clean the drop pans every day and I also do that weekly. I use black and white newspaper that I change out every week. It really depends on the habits of your gliders.

Oh, when it's nice in the summer, I take the cages outside and hose them down.

Edited by - kyro298 on Mar 30 2012 08:47:33 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2012
08:49:26 PM
josiec Super Glider Visit josiec's Photo Album OR, USA 226 Posts
I do mine a little at a time.. I've learned if you clean everything at once.. they will spend forever marking it and sticking it up again because you took their scent away.. way worse if you have intacted males. So one day I will do their toys.. couple days later I will do their bedding.. a few days later.. the cage itself.
Question
Mar 30 2012
08:50:13 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
It depends on how many gliders you have. The more gliders = the more mess = the more often you have to clean.

We use vinegar and water solution to clean and disinfect. Scrub and wipe dry. We also clean in stages so that the babies' senses aren't overwhelmed by the LACK of their scent being there (and therefore, are filled with a need to scent mark like crazy upon waking). Example: do walls one day, floors, shelves and ceiling another, toys another day, cage set another. Ball pit may be every other day to every three days. I just do a visual scan & clean as I go. It sounds like a lot of work but I find it's easier than having to do EVERYTHING all at once.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2012
08:51:06 PM
Stinking.. not sticking..lol sorry
Question
Mar 30 2012
08:51:42 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by josiec

I do mine a little at a time.. I've learned if you clean everything at once.. they will spend forever marking it and sticking it up again because you took their scent away.. way worse if you have intacted males. So one day I will do their toys.. couple days later I will do their bedding.. a few days later.. the cage itself.

Hahaha! Great minds think alike! We must've been posting at the same time. You beat me by a second!
Question
Mar 30 2012
08:52:40 PM
Ashley22209 Starting Member 3 Posts
I only have two sweet little girls so not too bad of a mess. Thanks guys!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2012
08:53:32 PM
Oh, also if you DO hose your cage down, make sure you wipe it down well so that it dries. I think Omi-and-Kai's grandma had a cage that rusted? I've been freaked out about rust ever since. (Esp since they don't make my cage anymore.)
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2012
08:53:59 PM
Haha.. I cleaned everything all at once one time.. the next day I swear it smelled worse because my males went nuts..lol
Question
Mar 30 2012
09:12:18 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Oh and don't be surprised if after you clean it, it smells still or worse. They have to remark everything. And yea, our cage did come with rust. I believe it is a knock-off for the exel cage. Bought it off Ebay from Rowlandwholesale. We now have one from Suncoast and the rust cage went to my birds that don't spend time on the bottom of the cage anyway. We now just use the Clorox clean wipes to clean the cage and never everything at once because they will and do stay up all night peeing on everything again. Ugh!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 31 2012
03:29:19 AM
karensink Face Hugger GliderMap Visit karensink's Photo Album 802 Posts
i was afraid of clorox, so i got a product called cage kleen from exotic nutrition. it works well and smells good. to me, anyway, i don't know if the critters really care cos it doesn't smell like pee, lol
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 31 2012
11:16:13 AM
KritterCare Face Hugger Visit KritterCare's Photo Album KritterCare's Journal USA 633 Posts
I have one girl that marks everything like crazy, regardless, so I have to clean the cage quite frequently. I swear she's worse than an intact male! I think it might have something to do with having to be seperated from her buddy though, so I'm hoping it'll kind of stop after reunions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat