Sugar Gliders
I know we just had a full moon but...
Next |
Page: of 2
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
09:32:53 AM
I was shocked to see that they all on the night of...But last night one didn't eat hardly.

Anyone elses doing this?
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
09:43:25 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
My twins ate pretty good lastnight.

The Fab Five ate very little! And the fruits/veggies weren't even mussed around their kitchen! Even if they don't eat them they usually move them around...nope totally untouched as if they didn't even enter their kitchen!
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
09:51:02 AM
dooney Face Hugger Visit dooney's Photo Album 532 Posts
wastefull little buggers! lol
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
09:55:07 AM
GliderMommy Super Glider Visit GliderMommy's Photo Album 302 Posts
Interesting... My boys barely touched their food last night. Normally they eat it bare.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
10:47:55 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
My gliders vary night to night.

That's why I always encourage people to look at their gliders' diet over a week, rather than each night.

Kind of like when you are trying to lose weight. It does no good to weigh yourself every day! That will just be frustrating! Once a week gives you a better over-all picture of what's really going on.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
10:50:54 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Full moon has no effect on sugar gliders, captive or wild.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
10:58:11 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kazko</i>
<br />Full moon has no effect on sugar gliders, captive or wild.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Odd then, because usually on full moon nights mine don't eat much at all! any other night they are little piggies
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:14:42 AM
Kaz - I don't believe that, and I've observed differently!

Most nocturnal animals are very "aware" of the moon phase, and behave accordingly.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
11:18:01 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
I think some creatures are a bit more suseptible. While it may not affect me, it may affect you...

There have been studies showing that psychiatric patients are a bit more out of control during a full moon. And I can't tell you how many times I've had Dr.s & Nurses make comments about things being crazier in the ER during a full moon.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:31:23 AM
Trooper789 Joey USA 41 Posts
My glider didn't eat much either...hmmmm...
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:42:06 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I didnt mean to spark a conversation about it, but let's be more specific then. Captive animals, inside, that cannot SEE the moon cannot be affected by it in any way. I will digress that a bright and witnessed full moon can have mental affects, but other than visually, a full moon is absolutely different than a dark moon. The moon is still there, it is still affecting tides the same, it is no different.

So yeah, the light from a full moon could affect critters. Perhaps they will look to mate then or whatnot. Even I like to run around naked in the neighborhood on a full moon. But that is simply a choice. A full moon means night-light and a reason to party.

Our captive rats dont see the full moon nor have they ever been wild to come to understand how it might affect them. So still no.

I will never agree that an animal in a basement or underground can have any attachment to the differing levels of sun light bouncing from the moon surface. But, I will agree that a wild animal in the treetops can come to action from the full light offered by the moon. But let's be clear that it is by no means anything physical, mystical, religious, or anything odd like that, it is simply light at night which is usable to do stuff. Not much different than humans using the same moon light to do things, or humans using the extra light in the summer to do more work then in the winter...

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:44:44 AM
LMAO! Terry, you crack me up!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
12:31:20 PM
I still disagree.

Oh well.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
12:39:27 PM
sierranevadaK Face Hugger Visit sierranevadaK's Photo Album sierranevadaK's Journal USA 804 Posts
I think that if the moon has such a pull on oceans and tides, then it must effect animals in some way. My mom is a nurse and she does notice that around full moons, the hospital is busier, especially with women going into labor.

Everybody has their own opinion, but I'm with valkyriemome on this! I've noticed Rue and Bijou acting weird around full moons. Last night they also didn't touch their food and barely woke up.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
02:26:22 PM
I believe that the moon affects bodies of water. Since animals are mostly made up of water, the moon affects them. I think humans have mostly stopped any conscious awareness of nature's affects on us, we are not physically aware of the moon phases affecting us. However, I've seen plenty of evidence which strongly suggests that we, and all other animals, ARE under the influence of moon phases.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
02:32:36 PM
Tigerlily88 Face Hugger Visit Tigerlily88's Photo Album KY, USA 842 Posts
Oh my mother's an elementary school teacher and she can tell you the moon phases without ever looking at the sky based on her children's behavior.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
02:34:37 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tigerlily88</i>
<br />Oh my mother's an elementary school teacher and she can tell you the moon phases without ever looking at the sky based on her children's behavior.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

bwahahahaha Honestly AI think any parent of furless kids could!
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
02:37:12 PM
Well if anyone sees Kazko streaking thru their neighborhood, you can be pretty sure it's a full moon! (In more ways than one!)
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
02:50:45 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valkyriemome</i>
<br />I still disagree.

Oh well.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Me too. Mine bark and eat less and act crazy!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
03:12:51 PM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
Luna barely touched her food last night. Last night was yogurt night too, and she LOVES yogurt. She ate a few bites, and almost everything was untouched this morning. She never finishes everything I give her, but everything always has obvious nibbles all over it. Luna can't see the moon from her cage, but there aren't curtains in the kitchen, and a lot of moonlight shone in last night. And the curtains in the living room were partially open allowing some moonlight in as well. (Her cage sits in a nook between the two rooms).

I have never considered the moon affecting her, and haven't really paid attention to see if it makes her act different. I'm not offering an opinion either way, I just wanted to share her eating habits last night, and the fact that moonlight was very visible where she was all night, although the moon itself was not visible.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
03:18:52 PM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
Okay, I wanted to add one more thing to the conversation. You guys are talking about the moon having effect on bodies of water (which it obviously does). This leads you to conclude that the moon can affect us (and other animals) since we are made up of LOTS of water.

I would like to point out that the moon has power due to its magnetic field. That is how it moves the tides. It affects the earth's magnetic field based on its placement and the earth's placement in space. Humans also all have electromagnetic fields (which are MUCH smaller than the electromagnetic fields of the earth or moon, but which are still present), as do all living creatures, including sugar tree gliders. I do believe the moon affects us. But it seems much more likely that this is due to the interaction between our magnetic fields and that of the moon, not due to our water content. I'm not a scientist though, so don't assume me to be an ultimate source of wisdom on this.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
04:45:36 PM
Harpy Joey Visit Harpy's Photo Album USA 33 Posts
Yes, it does make sense that although housed indoors, the gliders could still be affected by the moon.
In fact, I usually don't pay attention to the moon phases, but my gliders barely touched their food either last night, and they seemed a little more inactive.
This morning, hardly any of the veggies had been eaten.
It really does make sense that the full moon could affect sugar gliders.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
05:19:58 PM
Something just hit me while reading this thread....

I wonder if that whole Venus crossing the Sun thing threw some things off???

Hmmmmm....something to contemplate. Altho if that was it we won't have to worry about it again for 100+ yrs., most of us will be long gone by then...LOL!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
05:58:39 PM
Trooper789 Joey USA 41 Posts
My baby Trooper didn't eat much either last night. You're right! It probably was the Venus thing!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
08:05:47 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
I definitly get some weird action from the glider's during moon phases. At first I just assumed they were just being ornery every once in a while then I started to notice it was around moon phases when I kept track....weird.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
09:18:41 PM
sweetgirls Joey Visit sweetgirls's Photo Album IL, USA 39 Posts
Funny, last night was the first time in weeks my girls actually cleaned their plate and every single bowl (these are placed randomly around). I was commenting to my hubby how strange that was. Not a bit of food left anywhere.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
10:57:52 PM
You people need to hear what you are saying. None of it makes any sense. Your arguments are frighteningly weak when you attempt to reference science. You seem to be saying that when the moon is full that there is more of it there to affect the planet and that when it is dark there is less of it there to affect the planet. As if the tides are bigger during a full moon and lighter during a weak moon. This is not the case. The light phase of the moon has NO AFFECT on gravity or its pull or any other affect on the planet. There is no magnetic affect from the moon to begin with and that magnetic affect wouldn't change based upon how much of the sun was bouncing off of the moon. The moon is still there folks, always no matter how big or small its light. The absolute only affect that can be considered is the light that is reflected by the moon in the way that it is perceived by animals. My sugar gliders dont get moon light and as such never get any affects from a full moon or a weak moon. Would they rather be leaping around in the trees mating and fighting during a full moon, sure they would.

You cannot say that the moon affects water, water is in animals and that the full moon affects animals. The full moon doesnt affect tide any different than the weak moon. It's still there. Therefore a full moon doesnt affect the gravity of a sugar glider any more than a weak moon.

All it is is simply light. I will agree that brightest light at night can allow animals to do more or perhaps trigger mental affects. A big bright lightbulb in the sky on a cool night gets my own juices flowing. But it isnt pulling on my brain any more than it was the day before.

Of course the bottle of vodka and the full moon skinny dip certainly does affect me in crazy ways.

And for those who seem to think otherwise, there is no magic in planetary alignment, Venus blocking out .0001% of sunlight for 6 hours after sun set cannot affect anything, and the Mayans were all high on chocolate drink and cocaine when they stopped calculating on their calendar. I just picked up this adjustable desk stamp where the years end at 2009. We're all doomed!!!

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:08:43 PM
susan star Joey Visit susan star's Photo Album NM, USA 11 Posts
I work in a prison and whenever there is a full moon the rate of incidents goes way up.My babies barley ate anything also.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:12:35 PM
Odds are that a full moon reminds these people of great nights they had under a full moon when they were free. And it only takes a single person in a prison to raise the state of things for everyone. One person going nuts makes em all go nuts. I think it is a miserable data set and certainly not scientific.
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
11:20:59 PM

Edited by - JazzNZoeysmom on Jun 06 2012 11:28:25 PM
Behavior
Jun 06 2012
11:43:33 PM
The Truth About Lunar Effects on You

And just to dirty up any arguments, don't forget that there are TWO tides per day...

Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders