Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my room too cold?
Is my room too cold?
Question
Jun 23 2012
12:12:25 AM
Hey all! I'm one of those people that like it to be like Antarctica in my house and snuggle under 5 blankets with a hot cup of coffee. Because I live in an old farmhouse, it's hard to cool in the summer. I have a small window AC. Around my area, summer nights can get down to 65, but can be as hot as 80. Lately it's been in the 60s at night, I've still been running my AC because the sound helps me sleep. The AC doesn't get any lower than 62. Is this too cold for my suggies? How do I know if they're too cold? If I'm cold, are they cold, or does their fluffyness keep them toasty?

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2012
12:54:52 AM
Magdals Face Hugger Visit Magdals's Photo Album 453 Posts
Gliderpedia says that its not an issue unless it gets below 50. In the wild, temperatures can get pretty low at night so they have to have adapted to that. In the day, a nice fleece pouch and lots of cuddles is all they need to keep warm :)
Question
Jun 23 2012
09:05:51 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5351 Posts
Just give them a nice warm pouch with a lot of fleece blankies. I have a tendency to walk up and gently place my hand on the outside of the pouch for a few seconds...if they are cold, they will shiver...just like we do...you'll feel it, then you can adjust accordingly.

And I have to say one thing about "the wild." Magdals, I'm not picking on you, your comment just gives an easy opening for my comment...so when I say this it's not just about temps in the wild, it's about food and all of the other multitudes of "wild" comparisons many make....

Yes, the temps in Australia and Indonesia fluctuate from hot to cold, just like they do here...and yes, the wild animals adapt to this, just like they do here...BUT, we need to remember it is adaption.

Sierra, if you've always had your room at these temps from the time you brought your babies home, I would say, they are adapted to this and are just fine.

But just because a wild glider can handle a cold Austrailian evening, doesn't mean it won't make our domesticated, pampered gliders a bit uncomfortable.

Let's use Huskey dogs as an example. In Alaska some are bred to pull sleds...they are housed outside and kept warm by a flimsy dog house and some hay for bedding. Pups are born and housed the same way.... they are used to it; have adapted to it.... but if you have a Huskey for a pet that has been an indoor dog it's entire life,....you wouldn't be able to drop it in the middle of an Alaskian winter and expect it to survive.

So anyway, that is my little schpeel about domestic VS. wild. Yes, they have a certain lifestyle in the wild, but our babies aren't wild. They are exotic, but not wild.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2012
10:20:49 AM
sierranevadaK Face Hugger Visit sierranevadaK's Photo Album sierranevadaK's Journal USA 804 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! I've always loaded them up with fleece pouches and blankie things, but I just didn't know if they were chilly or not. My room is always about 60-70 degrees, winter or summer, so I guess they've adapted!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2012
11:14:50 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3478 Posts
I tend to like the temps in the low 70s. My gliders have adapted, and they also have fleece pouches with blankets. They usually kick the blankets out, however.

Remember, if you are comfortable, chances are that they are comfortable, too. You didn't wake up one morning and suddenly turn the temperature to 65. It is something they've become adjusted to. So - they should be fine.
Question
Jun 23 2012
12:14:23 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7518 Posts
I can't have it cold but I do raise my ac and turn on a box fan. It helps me sleep, keeps me cool and keeps the gliders just right.
Question
Jun 24 2012
02:35:05 AM
helenmac Glider Visit helenmac's Photo Album 133 Posts
As long as your gliders are well fed they should be able to cope with cooler conditions. make sure they have bedding to snuggle under. my gliders also "close" the top of the pouch to keep the heat in.
I do know of gliders dyeing if they are allowed to get too chilled so always check they are cosy.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2012
09:03:44 AM
sierranevadaK Face Hugger Visit sierranevadaK's Photo Album sierranevadaK's Journal USA 804 Posts
I actually remember one night that the power went out and it got hot in my room. They actually seemed uncomfortable and restless. Maybe my gliders like tundra temps (exaggeration) like me!
 Found this on ebay
Is my room too cold?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my room too cold?