Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Don't Be So Quick To Judge - Research First.
Research Information
Apr 15 2013
08:45:53 AM
Dear Glider Community,
Usually, I wouldn't come out and make a statement like this to the general public. However, I'm incredibly offended by the constant rumors that are circling around The Sweet Spot. Although I'm a registered member there, I also wanted to post here. Allegedly, I am being accused of breeding and selling Sugar Gliders while I have multiple Sugar Gliders that are infected with MRSA - this is false information. I have provided community members (on various occasions) with my veterinarian's contact information - if you are so concerned, please don't hesitate to contact him. Although, I have had issues with MRSA in the past, these are issues that have been entirely resolved, the Gliders in my care have been quarantined, tested and treated - they are clean, there is no MRSA in my home at this point in time. Again, you can reach my veterinarian, Dr. Santiago Diaz, here...

Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
Dr. Santiago Diaz, DVM
(954) 968-7171

1101 S. Powerline Road - Suite 108
(at SW 10th Street)
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442

Additionally, I would like to confirm that I have gotten back into breeding Sugar Gliders. Currently, I have twelve Sugar Gliders, and four cages. My colony cage has four neutered males and three females, my second cage has a neutered male and a single female, my third cage has an intact male and a single female and my fourth cage has a single female (Bindi, the Glider that has a history of infecting others with MRSA... She is clean but quarantined). If you so desire, neuter records are also available from my veterinarian and for anyone who is local, you are more than welcome to come and visit my home.

The breeding pair that I do have, Kahlua and Bailey, are a Standard Gray breeding pair that I rescued and had decided to keep. I do not have lineage on them, I will admit to that... Although, if I am able to get in contact with the previous owner, I am confident I will be able to access it. Regardless, they will be allowed to breed under the pretenses that all male offspring will be neutered and females will be sold under a strict "pet - only" contract (to prevent them from being bred)... I am willing to provide neuter records or copies of the contracts to those interested once it becomes a concern.

Thank you.
Lauren Elizabeth

Edited by - *site banned* on Apr 15 2013 08:48:22 AM
Research Information
Apr 15 2013
09:14:58 AM
Tigerlily88 Face Hugger Visit Tigerlily88's Photo Album KY, USA 842 Posts
Lauren, no one is responsible for your reputation but you. I am sorry you feel you are being unfairly judged, but many people have looked at the facts as you have presented them. You reported on March 24th that you were THINKING about isolating a glider that you believed to have MRSA. It has not even been a month since this, that's nowhere near a proper quarantine, assuming one was actually done. Were you even able to establish that this glider was the source of your infections? Have you tested EVERY animal in your house to make sure they are also not infected? You also must understand that it is very difficult to re-establish trust once you have been caught telling so many inconsistencies.

For example, you stated that you have recently resumed breeding and were not breeding during your MRSA issues, but in a post you made yesterday, you stated that you had some joeys come OOP not long ago. This means you HAVE been breeding (not counting the time you were -attempting- to breed) for AT LEAST 3 months. Less than 3 months ago, you were very upset and asking the community for help dealing with a glider of yours that had, according to your own words, a DOCUMENTED case of MRSA. You are going to be hard pressed to find people, especially responsible breeders, that will condone this.

You will also receive very little support from anyone for breeding RESCUES, forget the fact that they may or may not have lineage. If they were indeed rescues, it's doubtful that they do regardless. Also, if you are a knowledgeable breeder, then you know you should NEVER pair two gliders without knowing what the lineage is, just because they have traceable backgrounds does not at all mean they are a compatible genetic match and not creating inbred offspring.

If you truly wish to clear up your reputation and put all of the scandals and scams behind you, this is by no means the way to do it. My advice to you would be to LISTEN to the mounds of advice you have been given by many knowledgeable and respected members of the community, and then choose the right thing. Yes this will take time, yes it will be expensive, and yes you will have to put a great number of your plans on hold. But if you truly want to rejoin this community as a trusted member, you need to be able to do the right thing.

Also, it is COMPLETELY inappropriate for others to contact your veterinarian. I am certain he has much better things to do than to answer questions regarding information you may or may not be fabricating.
Research Information
Apr 15 2013
11:04:48 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
When I get to missing the glider community and think I'd really like to be back on a regular basis - this is always what I see. This reminds me why I'm not here everyday anymore.

As always, my email is still my username @ hotmail if anyone needs anything.

Research Information
Apr 15 2013
11:18:48 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I am being accused of breeding and selling Sugar Gliders while I have multiple Sugar Gliders that are infected with MRSA

Your are breeding. You have stated that at least 2 of your gliders had active MRSA infections and that you suspect a third glider to be guilty of "infecting them" with MRSA. Your vet cannot discuss YOUR gliders with anyone other than you. You have not posted any evidence (lab reports on all 12 gliders) showing that your gliders do not carry MRSA and that they cannot infect other gliders - or owners - if they inflict a bite.

For those that are new to the glider world - Lauren is well known on all of the forums. She has been breeding gliders since before she was old enough to get a drivers license. She is not a newbie that is unaware of this community's opinions on breeding rescues without lineage.

quote:
The breeding pair that I do have, Kahlua and Bailey, are a Standard Gray breeding pair that I rescued and had decided to keep. I do not have lineage on them,

Being able to get their lineage - AFTER THE FACT - does not guarantee that the current joeys will not be affected by some unseen inbreeding issues that will affect them later in life.

In the past she as advertised joeys for sale from a pair of gliders that she intended to breed - but that she did not actually have in her possession yet.

Lauren has been banned from most glider forums for this type of behavior.
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1226753/animalsanctuary_sugarshock_sug#Post1226753

Now she indicates that she has ONE breeding pair. On her Facebook page she is asking folks to get on her "waiting list" for future joeys. She says the payment of a deposit will move you TO THE TOP OF THE WAITING LIST.

Why would anyone want to send you deposit money for future joeys that are the offspring of non-lineage rescues?

I would not recommend you as a breeder to ANYONE. You have been in this community long enough to know how most people feel about breeding gliders without lineage. You definitely know that breeding RESCUES for sale is not acceptable in this community. You should post a full disclosure on your Facebook page stating that your breeding pair are rescues with no lineage. You should also inform all potential buyers that your gliders are possible MRSA carriers. It is no an infection that 100% goes away with treatment. Carriers show no symptoms.

Lauren, you need to LEARN from your past mistakes instead of repeating them. You are no longer a child. It is time to take responsibility for your actions instead of claiming everyone else is lying about you.
Research Information
Apr 15 2013
11:54:15 AM
arcwind Glider Visit arcwind's Photo Album 136 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

quote:
I am being accused of breeding and selling Sugar Gliders while I have multiple Sugar Gliders that are infected with MRSA

Your are breeding. You have stated that at least 2 of your gliders had active MRSA infections and that you suspect a third glider to be guilty of "infecting them" with MRSA. Your vet cannot discuss YOUR gliders with anyone other than you. You have not posted any evidence (lab reports on all 12 gliders) showing that your gliders do not carry MRSA and that they cannot infect other gliders - or owners - if they inflict a bite.

For those that are new to the glider world - Lauren is well known on all of the forums. She has been breeding gliders since before she was old enough to get a drivers license. She is not a newbie that is unaware of this community's opinions on breeding rescues without lineage.

quote:
The breeding pair that I do have, Kahlua and Bailey, are a Standard Gray breeding pair that I rescued and had decided to keep. I do not have lineage on them,

Being able to get their lineage - AFTER THE FACT - does not guarantee that the current joeys will not be affected by some unseen inbreeding issues that will affect them later in life.

In the past she as advertised joeys for sale from a pair of gliders that she intended to breed - but that she did not actually have in her possession yet.

Lauren has been banned from most glider forums for this type of behavior.
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1226753/animalsanctuary_sugarshock_sug#Post1226753

Now she indicates that she has ONE breeding pair. On her Facebook page she is asking folks to get on her "waiting list" for future joeys. She says the payment of a deposit will move you TO THE TOP OF THE WAITING LIST.

Why would anyone want to send you deposit money for future joeys that are the offspring of non-lineage rescues?

I would not recommend you as a breeder to ANYONE. You have been in this community long enough to know how most people feel about breeding gliders without lineage. You definitely know that breeding RESCUES for sale is not acceptable in this community. You should post a full disclosure on your Facebook page stating that your breeding pair are rescues with no lineage. You should also inform all potential buyers that your gliders are possible MRSA carriers. It is no an infection that 100% goes away with treatment. Carriers show no symptoms.

Lauren, you need to LEARN from your past mistakes instead of repeating them. You are no longer a child. It is time to take responsibility for your actions instead of claiming everyone else is lying about you.

wow... sad thing is I almost fell into the same bad habits that she has (minus the MSRA), The only pair that I have started leaning back towards breeding is my Leu/Mos pair that have full lineage and are acceptable to breed, but even then im really considering just neutering him anyways after letting them get a colony litter to keep.

tsk tsk tsk, Breed with love guys
Research Information
Apr 16 2013
08:57:40 AM
asmerella Super Glider GliderMap Visit asmerella's Photo Album 300 Posts
Exactly Candy...someone on facebook posted about this so I did go to the other sites and read the stuff she had posted...so I am inclined to believe just as u guys and Lauren....I did research first. I read what u wrote everywhere else before I made any kind of judgment...

U need to neuter every male u have... and if ur gonna breed buy a lineaged pair...unfortunately I have a joey in pouch from a rescue but she came that way...I'm hoping for the best and all my guys are getting fixed next month...before they r placed back in with their female friends...if I want more joeys I will buy a pair of mosaics or leus as my husband is fond of those colors....but I will be going about it the correct way....not trying to become a mill breeder....
Research Information
Apr 16 2013
09:20:00 AM
We all makes mistakes, that's what makes us human. What defines us, however, is how we choose to deal with those mistakes. The responsible thing to do is to learn from them, change your habits, and improve yourself. If for nothing else for the good of our animals. These are LIVING BEINGS Lauren, they are not your cash commodities, treat them as such.

The only other thing I would ask you is...why is it acceptable for you to breed your rescues that have no lineage but DEMAND that anyone taking a joey from that pairing not? What makes it right for you to do but not someone else?
Research Information
Apr 16 2013
10:18:26 AM
kittygirl28 Super Glider GliderMap Visit kittygirl28's Photo Album USA 229 Posts
I have to agree with Lily, seeing how you don't know the linage of your gliders you really shouldn't breed them. I know both of my girls are rehomings and that Menchi came from a rescue pairing while Tali I don't know her linage. If I were to get a male suggie I would have him fixed first before ever introducing him to my girls. If I want to become a breeder I will do the research first and look for a bonded pair that came from good linage's.
Research Information
Apr 16 2013
08:08:48 PM
Chris R Glider 119 Posts
okay Im going to chime in here... on March 4th Lauren posted on facebook asking about how to sub-q fluids to a sick dehydrated glider...I responded in PM to her, she told me this glider was dehydrated due to MRSA and she was already treating it with Penicillian, which I then told her that MRSA stands for metacillan resistant staph areolus <sp>... MEANING that its a staph that is resistant to the cillans IE Penicillan... in which she replied to me "Oh, but thats what worked on Stella (Luna)....

I did tell her how to sub q the fluids because I will not sit by and allow a sick glider to get sicker/die no matter who the owner is if I can help..

So somebody <cough cough Lauren> is either lying about treatment, lying about it being an MRSA, lying about vet care or lying to cover up lies OR all the above LOL....
Research Information
Apr 16 2013
08:33:24 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Bravo
quote:
Originally posted by Chris R

okay Im going to chime in here... on March 4th Lauren posted on facebook asking about how to sub-q fluids to a sick dehydrated glider...I responded in PM to her, she told me this glider was dehydrated due to MRSA and she was already treating it with Penicillian, which I then told her that MRSA stands for metacillan resistant staph areolus <sp>... MEANING that its a staph that is resistant to the cillans IE Penicillan... in which she replied to me "Oh, but thats what worked on Stella (Luna)....

I did tell her how to sub q the fluids because I will not sit by and allow a sick glider to get sicker/die no matter who the owner is if I can help..

So somebody <cough cough Lauren> is either lying about treatment, lying about it being an MRSA, lying about vet care or lying to cover up lies OR all the above LOL....

Research Information
Apr 17 2013
07:53:47 AM
bjve31 Glider Visit bjve31's Photo Album 58 Posts
I have a question....how easy is it to disinfect items, like cages, that have been in contact with MRSA? I was concerned when I saw cages and other items for sale here that have been contaminated.
Research Information
Apr 17 2013
08:36:17 AM
Sara Sue Face Hugger 489 Posts
You would need to use a chemical that kills MRSA. I think good old fashioned bleach would work, but it would have to be mixed to the proper concentration, sprayed thoroughly in ALL cracks and crevices and allowed the proper contact time.
Research Information
Apr 17 2013
09:24:53 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't risk it, there are plenty of other safer items out there. That crap is too nasty to mess around with IMO. If you do want to take the chance, I would recommend contacting a nurse, doctor or someone reliable in the human medical field and find out EXACTLY how to kill it for sure.
Research Information
Apr 17 2013
06:54:26 PM
Chris R Glider 119 Posts
bleach and water for the most part.... 2 tablespoons of bleach in a pint of water, I think is the ratio, let set for 20 minutes... and for cage set stuff that would pretty much bleach out any of the designs and then you would want to dry it on high heat for extended time.... what I would worry most about is things that have hidden areas... like wheels with their gaskets to hold tracks on, the bleach would pretty much ruin the gasket... and then you have to worry about areas like behind the hub/bolts ..yada yada

Edited by - Chris R on Apr 17 2013 06:55:23 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders