Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction trouble.
Introduction trouble.
Behavior
Jun 25 2013
02:45:48 PM
We tried to introduce Jak and Amelia in a tent last night. They kept curling up in a ball and kind of biting each other. They tsst at each other and crabbed a couple of times. We think Amelia might have gotten a bite out of Jak's ear. They never interacted without it ending in a fight.

We have occasionally switched their pouches.We have let them meet through the cage a few times over the past two weeks(around five), and they always click and seem happy to see each other. Last night they didn't click at all.

We did recently move, and we think that they might not have recognized each other after the move.

We are going to do the cage meetings again, until they seem to want to see each other. Any tips?
Behavior
Jun 25 2013
02:53:27 PM
renee14150 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit renee14150's Photo Album 1850 Posts
You really should intro them during the day when they are hopefully too sleepy to fight. Take a completely clean pouch in there with you so if they get along, they can climb in and sleep. I'm not sure about doing it in the tent, try someplace neutral like the bath tub. I would continue swapping stuff for a few days and give it another shot.
Letting them meet thru cage bars could be dangerous in my opinion - if one grabs the other it will be difficult to separate them.

I'm sure someone else will be along to offer more than i have:)
Behavior
Jun 25 2013
11:04:23 PM
billiepaige Glider Visit billiepaige's Photo Album 169 Posts
We used a tent that they had never been in before. No toys.

I didn't think of doing the intros during the day. That would have probably helped.

We didn't try to push them today. We played with them separately. However, Jak got really aggressive towards my boyfriend. He Bit him until he drew blood...twice. I have read that after you introduce a male to a female their temperament changes, but I had never read about one becoming that aggressive.

Amelia acted the same as she always did.
Behavior
Jun 27 2013
04:10:34 AM
Imbrium Super Glider GliderMap USA 313 Posts
I'm too lazy at 4 am to copy/paste two links, so I'm gonna take the easier route and give you one, lol - right up at the top of the links page of my site are links to two TGI (The Glider Initiative) articles that really walk you through introducing two gliders. if you're struggling with intros, then going back to the beginning and following the step-by-step process is really the way to go.
Behavior
Jun 27 2013
01:59:13 PM
billiepaige Glider Visit billiepaige's Photo Album 169 Posts
Thanks for the help.
Introduction trouble.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction trouble.