Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
what to do when there are failed introductions?
Question
Jul 26 2013
01:33:19 AM
I brought a new glider(skittles) into my home about a month ago. I have one glider already (peanut). Within the first week, peanut hopped out of her cage and made her way to skittles cage before I could catch her. They clicked right away where they were licking each other's paws and noses through the cage walls. I let them do that for a few minutes before I separated them. I kept them apart for some time until peanut jumped away from me again. Their second meeting went horribly wrong where peanut entered skittles cage and she attacked. I know that their first meeting is supposed to be on neutral territory, but accidents happen. Neither of them got harmed because I caught them right as they started to fight.

I waited a few weeks before I did a formal introduction. Every night since the first day, I have been swapping pouches,cages,and letting them both leave their scents on my clothes. The first formal introduction didn't go smoothly either. Skittles attacked peanut again. I gave it a few days and tried again, but it failed. I then tried the method of putting vanilla on them. When I had them in the bathtub, they both just ran separate directions up the curtains. I then held peanut in my hand while I let skittles approach (because she won't let me hold her) and she lunged at peanut again.

Skittles has been rough with us as well with her chomping down pretty hard. Shes only about a year and a half and I am wondering if it's just a phase she's going through. Peanut is three and in the past 6 months that we had her, we haven't had any aggressive behavior from her. Skittles has also lived with other gliders before while peanut hasn't. I know I've read people say that introductions take time, but did I mess up their relationship from the beginning with their first bad encounter? I have given them both amazing lives, they both seem happy but I just want to know how I can get them to be happy together. I've gone through multiple threads and links about introductions but I just can't find the right thing. It would be a shame if they never got along :(
Question
Jul 26 2013
02:13:21 AM
lyricalnuisance Joey 34 Posts
We brought in a rescue and we're worried about it too.
Question
Jul 26 2013
08:27:16 AM
Lucille Super Glider 238 Posts
What you are telling us is that the first contact went fine. That is encouraging, to me. Subsequent contacts did not go well. But between the first bad contact and the formal introduction, only two weeks elapsed.
I think if you keep on trying to introduce them now there may be problems. Why not have at least another three or four weeks with the cages fairly near and you swapping items and give them more time to think this over?
Question
Jul 26 2013
09:16:50 AM
rageandlove3274 Joey Visit rageandlove3274's Photo Album 18 Posts
Yes, their first encounter went well.When they are in their cages they don't even acknowledge each others existence. The first few days they were near each other, they were curious and I heard them talking to each other, but now there's nothing. What if I played with them in the same room but kept them away from each other, would sharing their scents in the play area help? I will give what you say a shot and I guess we will see how things turn out. Does keeping them away for so long make them forget what happened or will their loneliness change their minds?
Question
Jul 26 2013
12:39:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rageandlove3274

Does keeping them away for so long make them forget what happened or will their loneliness change their minds?

My thoughts on suggesting a break have less to do with how they feel in the absence of each other, and more to do with the damaging effects of frequently putting them together with subsequent fighting. But I think both your points are well taken.
Question
Jul 26 2013
12:55:52 PM
BCChins Super Glider 203 Posts
What about putting a mesh (like window screen) in between both cages and placing them side by side? This way they can not grab each other but they can smell each other and become acquainted with each other.

I am going to try this this weekend with two cages I have and want to introduce.
Question
Jul 26 2013
06:41:46 PM
heavensgait Joey Visit heavensgait's Photo Album 38 Posts
Sounds like you are dealing with a territorial issue. Dont know if this will help but try switching them. Put skittles pouch (her scented safe zone) in peanuts cage at the same time put peanuts pouch in skittles cage. That way they can familiarize them selves with each other without violent interaction. try it for a night then put them back into their own cages. They will have left their scents in eachothers space. wait a few days or week and do it again if it didnt cause fear or stress the first time. The newer glider may still be waiting for the return of her original clan and protecting the nest.
Question
Jul 27 2013
08:52:09 AM
sleighr Face Hugger Visit sleighr's Photo Album AZ, USA 643 Posts
Well now, I have a male named Max. When he came of age, his father suddenly decided that Max might be competition for the affections of his wife and her sister. They got in terrible battles. Finally gave up and pulled Maxwell and he lived alone for a couple years as I remember. As time went forward, we got all the nuts cut off and testosterone levels dropped. Tried many times to intro Max and his Dad. Always end the same way, them chasing each other or worse catching each and balling up, biting and scratching.
I had about given up. Remember the couple YEARS thing? Then one day, I had Max on my person when I opened the door to the colony cage. His family suddenly all came out to meet him. I felt this was going to be carnage. They greeted each other like best friends that been apart for a long time. Sniffing and grooming. They have been together ever since.
1) Don't force it. These things happen in their own schedule.
2) don't let them injure each other
3) there is always hope

Happy Landings
Question
Jul 29 2013
11:52:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by heavensgait

Put skittles pouch (her scented safe zone) in peanuts cage at the same time put peanuts pouch in skittles cage.

We have tried it all. We switch their pouches some days, toys other days, put them in each others cages for a night and nothing has seemed to do the trick
Question
Jul 29 2013
11:55:47 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.I will give them all a try. It would be a shame if they never got along because I got skittles so she could keep peanut company. Do you think they are still lonely even though they technically still have each other?
Question
Jul 30 2013
12:45:32 PM
mikini73 Glider Visit mikini73's Photo Album USA 66 Posts
Try spritzing them with water. Gliders can only keep one thought in their head at a time. If they are wet they are more likely to be fussed about getting dry than starting a fight. I use a small clean cage with no scent on it as a neutral zone and one pouch so they have to share. By the time they are dry they are grooming each other.
Question
Jul 30 2013
01:01:59 PM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER spray them with water and I think others will agree. If anything, the pssst noise is the only thing you can do to "disipline" them. He Gliders will get mad and upset at you too

Edited by - MoMo MaMa on Jul 30 2013 01:03:32 PM
Question
Jul 30 2013
02:44:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rageandlove3274

We have tried it all. We switch their pouches some days, toys other days, put them in each others cages for a night and nothing has seemed to do the trick

Several people have suggested extended amounts of time. You are really doing the right things, but they just need more time.

Edited by - Lucille on Jul 30 2013 02:44:36 PM
Question
Jul 30 2013
07:35:06 PM
kdgjdg Starting Member 7 Posts
Have you tried to introduce them while they are really tired?
When I started the in-glider introductions, I found they would immediately
grab each other and, what looked like a wrestling match, start to what
looked like intense licking/grooming. no hissing or crabbing.
I ended up taking my little boy and placed him outside of my little girls
pouch, he sniffed the pouch then walked in and went to sleep. I did this about 3 hour before normal wake-up. held pouch on my lap incase a problem arose. When boy woke up, I played with him then place him back into his cage for the night.
Question
Jul 31 2013
12:12:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mikini73

Try spritzing them with water.

I know that a lot of people are against the idea of spraying their gliders with water.I would personally feel guilty if I did something like that to them, but if it works for you, then it is probably an effective method.
Question
Jul 31 2013
12:17:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kdgjdg

When I started the in-glider introductions, I found they would immediately
grab each other and, what looked like a wrestling match, start to what
looked like intense licking/grooming. no hissing or crabbing.
I ended up taking my little boy and placed him outside of my little girls
pouch, he sniffed the pouch then walked in and went to sleep. I did this about 3 hour before normal wake-up. held pouch on my lap incase a problem arose. When boy woke up, I played with him then place him back into his cage for the night.

Question
Aug 05 2013
02:01:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kdgjdg

No, I haven't tried this yet. It seems like everytime I awake Skittles during the day, she seems instantly awake and lively while Peanut takes more time to adjust to the sudden awakening. I feel like Skittles would still attack in this situation. What I plan on doing is placing them both in their own bonding pouches and have them meet during the day. This way, they can still sniff each other but they have the mesh in between them so there can't be any grabbing or fighting.
 Look what I found on Ebay

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders