Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fast Shaking when Eating Avocado, Normal?
Question
Aug 04 2013
12:29:00 AM
Firstly, I'm sorry posting late at night .

I fed MoMo avocado on Wednesday for the first time. Instantly, he devoured it and he became in love. At the last seconds of eating or right when he finished, his upper torso started shaking. It was EXTREMELY fast, similar to a dog after a bath but faster shaking. I didn't have much concern, but thought it was weird. I kept an eye out to see if he did it again, but he didn't...until 10 minutes ago while eating more avocado. Well, I just fed MoMo a little piece of avocado 10 minutes ago. The same EXACT thing happened this time too. Again, after the last couple of seconds of eating or right after finishing the avocado, he did the same shake/twitch. Both times, the shaking only lasted a couple of seconds and came out of no where. When the shake was done, he continued his usual: begging for more avocado and playing.

Is this normal behavior/actions? I hope it isn't a serious health issue.

PS. The avocado would come directly from the fridge before feeding to MoMo. This only happened twice, the two times I fed him avocado. Thank you very much for your help and advice. All is greatly appreciated .
Question
Aug 04 2013
06:38:32 AM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
I have been warned off avocado as it is apparently toxic to gliders. I have fed it before with no problems but not I stay clear.

Shaking isn't normal for any animal. I would hold off feeding it. How much did he eat? Some people's opinions of small are quite different :)
Question
Aug 04 2013
09:18:13 AM
Lucille Super Glider 238 Posts
After reading Helen's post I did a search. Will do more research but I may have to cut the portions of a fave dish for me, guacamole (aaack!!!) because the search reports avocado toxicity in more than just gliders:
http://www.sugarglidercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1616

Toxicity info all the way down near the end in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

Edited by - Lucille on Aug 04 2013 09:24:27 AM
Question
Aug 04 2013
10:51:53 AM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
I've read quite a few articles about the toxicity of avocado. I hadn't seen them when I used to feed it, and I fed it quite regularly with no problems for a few months. But not I dont use it.

There are people on here that regularly feed avocado. There are also people who regularly feedgapes, again something I refuse to offer to my animals.

I made a post similar to this about a year ago...
Smoking causes cancer - fact. But not everybody who smokes will get cancer from it.
Apply the same logic to these foods (for people who will argue they feed with no problems)...
Grapes and Avocado are known to be toxic to animals (grapes directly to gliders), but not every glider that eats grapes or avocado will have a reaction to them.
Does this make sense? There IS proof it shouldn't be fed but there are people who still feed these with no problems at all.

Personally I choose not to, and I would definately advise the OP not to feed Avocado again. But ultimately it is your choice.
Question
Aug 04 2013
11:10:08 AM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
I feel very terrible now. I always look up the fruit/veggie before feeding it, but this time I didn't. I heard (on a recent thread) avocado was a favorite treat, but high in fat. That is why I didn't look it up again . Im NEVER feeding him avocado again.

Helen, the "small" was only one bite for him the second time. The first time I fed it to MoMo was only one lick, not even a bite. I too don't feed grapes, because I heard it can be toxic.

Now what should I do? Take him to the vet, or keep an eye out? I don't want him to be hurt

Question
Aug 04 2013
11:22:13 AM
Just to add, I DIDN'T feed him the pit or the skin (most toxic part). I'm guessing he is just REALLY sensitive than other Gliders.
Question
Aug 04 2013
02:36:59 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
The head shaking is very normal. The animal is just getting things unstuck out of its mouth. Try some fava beans some time or even edamame and enjoy the same results.

Avocado is fine and grapes are fine IN MODERATION. I capitalize that because people seem to not get it. If you eat half your weight in grapes every day you will die too.

Just keep things in perspective.

Avocado is a great treat. I feed it when I have it, maybe once a week at most. I might even just put the remnant shell in the cage and let them work at scraping it clean, and they do.

Grapes are fine. I feed them seedless reds perhaps twice a week at most. And it is always with other food and not a primary stomach stuffer for the meal.

ADDED:
For me, moderation is half a grape per head, with a full dinner.
Question
Aug 04 2013
04:46:42 PM
Was that video in slow motion? MoMo shook like that, but a little bit faster. Thank you for the information guys!
Question
Jan 12 2017
07:48:52 AM
Hamster98 Starting Member 1 Posts
I always eat something unhealthy during the day because with my work it is almost impossible to eat something healthy, but I really want to change it because having read this article I realize that it is crucial for me and my health http://skywritingservice.com/blog/healthy-food-that-you-should-eat-regularly
Question
Nov 14 2017
02:36:34 AM
bertier Starting Member 1 Posts
I don't even know what is going on with your animal, and, to be honest, head shaking is a serious health issue, to my mind! We are not experts here, ask someone else who is particularized in this field!
Question
Jan 17 2018
03:05:32 AM
sylviashea Starting Member 1 Posts
You know, head shaking can be something serious. Consult the veterinary clinic available in your local area! To my mind, it should not go like this...
Question
Jan 17 2018
01:40:50 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I've heard occasional avocado can be great for their coats. It's got lots of good fats so I guess that makes sense. I've never fed it though. Mine do love grapes and I haven't seen hard evidence that they're harmful so I feed them as a treat.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders