Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Heating for sugar gliders?
Health related
Aug 23 2013
11:12:28 AM
I was wondering what kind of heat you should have for them, because I live in MN and it get cold in the winter, thanks!!!

Logan
Health related
Aug 23 2013
11:17:41 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If they are in a room that is kept at a comfortable temperature for you they are fine.

My gliders are in a sun porch surrounded by glass windows. When the temperature is very cold outside here I use a space heater, because the room is cooler than the rest of the house, to keep the room about 70 degrees at night.
Health related
Aug 23 2013
11:38:28 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If they are in a room that is kept at a comfortable temperature for you they are fine.

My gliders are in a sun porch surrounded by glass windows. When the temperature is very cold outside here I use a space heater, because the room is cooler than the rest of the house, to keep the room about 70 degrees at night.
Health related
Aug 23 2013
11:52:06 AM
BB Glider GliderMap Visit BB's Photo Album FL, USA 85 Posts
Logan, I am from MN, not anymore though, I moved. Whatever your heat in the winter that's good for you, it's okay for your gliders.
Health related
Aug 23 2013
12:26:12 PM
teresaholcroft Glider Visit teresaholcroft's Photo Album USA 88 Posts
Are there certain types of space heaters that should not be used?
I have also read that humidifiers can be used if the air is too dry. Any specific brand?
Health related
Aug 23 2013
01:33:37 PM
Tigerlily88 Face Hugger Visit Tigerlily88's Photo Album KY, USA 842 Posts
I use a small space heater in my glider room in the winter because the heat in my house is not that great. It's the same one we use in our bedroom, just a small electric heater with auto shut off, etc. it's kept WELL away from the cages so there is no way they can access it. If the room is comfortable for you though, they will be comfortable. If you feel the room is drafty, a cage cover can also help.
Health related
Aug 23 2013
02:36:21 PM
mingsmom Face Hugger Visit mingsmom's Photo Album USA 511 Posts
Hi, Logan, Never use a heat rock or other heating device on or in your cage. Your gliders can generate their own heat. Like everyone above said, what's comfortable for you should be okay. I like my house cool- 68+70 degrees all year, so they have adjusted-lol. And a space heater is good, just make sure they can't escape and don't place near their cage!

As for humidifiers, heat and central air can dry the air and contribute to "fur cracking". I just ordered a Rainbo Rainmate air purifier/humidifier. The mist is very, very fine. Mine also lights up so it will take the place of a night light in my living room for my girls. They bark a lot if in total blackness- after all in the wild there is the moon and stars, right? You can add scents to it, but I will just use it plain. My vet has one in his HUGE waiting room, and the whole place just smells like fresh, clean air. You can get one for a good price on Ebay. I crushed my nose and cheek in a car accident, so this will benefit my breathing, too. Also, at holiday time, your christmas tree(if you do Christmas) will love the humidifier!Sorry for the long post- hope I've helped!

Wendy
Health related
Aug 23 2013
02:49:06 PM
LoganTW Joey USA 36 Posts
Thanks for answering guys!!! I do know that about cage heaters, and for when the power goes out in the winter we have no heat, so I was thinking I could get a small indoor generator and a small indoor heater and use that if the power went out, would that work? thanks for answering like I said

Logan
Health related
Aug 23 2013
04:01:18 PM
mingsmom Face Hugger Visit mingsmom's Photo Album USA 511 Posts
Wow, I didn't know they made indoor generators. I used to live in S. Florida, and we always had outdoor generators for hurricanes-lol Hmm, I learn something new everyday. I'm sure that would be ok as long as it doesn't put off funes or exhaust- bad for you, too-lol

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders