Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Eco-raptor wheel vs stealth wheel vs Make a wheel?
Next |
Page: of 2
Question
Sep 02 2013
03:01:23 PM
Hey guys, we want to get another wheel to replace our wheel (even though the wheel is great) because we want to get one that has mesh and that we can put trimmers on to trim their nails. We have been looking around a lot between different wheels. The two that we narrowed it down to are:

1) Stealth wheel - I know this is one of the top wheels people recommend and refer to it as the "Cadillac" of wheels, but it's $40 and the trim trax are $8 a piece. But I know "You get what you pay for." So I have no doubts that this wheel is amazing.

2) Eco-raptor wheel - This one looks almost identical to the stealth wheel and I am not seeing any difference in it. This one is $25 and the trim tracks for it are $7 a piece. This one is a good amount cheaper than the stealth, but I want to make sure it is safe and reliable and if there are any differences between this one and the stealth.

3) I've seen people make their own mesh wheel, but I can't find any directions or instructions online. I don't want to get into any complications trying to make one and definitely want to make sure it's safe,but if it's easy and simple to make one, I would be willing to give it a try.

Questions:
1) Has anyone ever had or have experience with the eco-raptor wheel? Are there any differences/pros/cons?

2) Do the trim tracks work well for both of the wheels? Are they worth purchasing? Do they come with one small piece or multiple pieces? How much do they cover?

3)Are the trim tracks any different than normal sandpaper? Or would using store-bought sandpaper be equivalent? If so, how would you attach the sandpaper to the mesh on the outside safely?

Again, we really want to get one of these wheels mainly for the ability to be able to get rid of the sharp tips on the glider's nails and give them a more "fun" wheel to run on. Are there any other wheels that you recommend? Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks (and sorry for writing so much ).
Question
Sep 02 2013
05:03:35 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
These are all very good questions, I am looking forward to what people have to say. I personally bought the Raptor wheel. I know that wheel many have recommended and also have recommended the stealth wheel.
Question
Sep 02 2013
05:31:34 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I would definitely go with either the Raptor or the Stealth over a home made version. Part of the cost is the bearing used on these wheels which is enclosed to be glider safe. The Stealth wheel uses a bearing designed just for the glider wheel.

Yes you can purchase the sand paper at a hardware store, fine grit (I buy 400 grit) waterproof sand paper. You can buy it as pieces that are a bit over 4 inches wide made for an electric sander.

What you get, in addition to the sand paper, with the inserts for the Stealth are the very small nylon nuts and bolts and instructions on how to attach the sand paper to your wheel. These nuts and bolts are hard to find in hardware stores, and re-usable when you purchase additional sand paper to replace the initial inserts you purchase. I expect the raptor inserts are similar.

I would purchase the inserts - just to get the hardware, for future re-use.
Question
Sep 02 2013
07:14:28 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I have 2 raptors and 1 stealth and they are great.

I also have the trim tracks on 1 of the raptors and on the stealth.

The trim tracks for the raptor, there are two of them about 4" long on opposite sides, the stealth wheels track is only one strip 6" long on one side.
My Raptor wheel came with them installed for me and the stealth I put on my self.

Either way the gliders love to jump and glide and these wheels have no bar in the center so they can do that.
Question
Sep 02 2013
07:30:17 PM
Sugar6912 Glider Visit Sugar6912's Photo Album 135 Posts
Minnesota Zoo,

Do you notice any differences between the stealth and the raptor wheel? (is one better than the other/worth the extra money) How do the eco-raptor wheels trim tracks attach to the mesh? Is it with small nuts/bolts that candy was talking about? Is it worth getting the trim tracks with it the first time?

Edited by - Sugar6912 on Sep 02 2013 07:31:17 PM
Question
Sep 02 2013
08:06:55 PM
Actually, just found the answer to the screws and plastic plate on the FAQs on the website. It says its a plastic plate on each end of the trimmer held down by nylon screws.
Question
Sep 02 2013
08:12:33 PM
Yep, they are little nylon screws.

I only like the Raptor wheels better in the fact that there is not a visible center bolt on the front of the wheel(not that it has caused any issues)and the trimmers are shorter and on opposite sides of the wheel.

The wheel is more "balanced", the trimmer on the stealth is balanced by installing it opposite of the plastic bar where the track meets. If that makes sense.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Sep 02 2013 08:15:24 PM
Question
Sep 02 2013
08:35:08 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
OH, just wanted to make sure you seen the post on making your own wheel. He says that he is going to give instructions on his page. Just for your information.
Question
Sep 02 2013
08:45:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up =) Yea I'm very excited to see his tutorial. I really want to try to make one. Especially if its a lot cheaper and still safe for the gliders. I'll wait to order a wheel and see if I, personally, can make one of those wheels he made. His looks great!
Question
Sep 02 2013
11:16:52 PM
I would wait to see how the homemade wheel holds up under actual use before copying the design.

The Stealth and Raptor wheels have already been tested and demonstrated to be glider safe.
Question
Sep 02 2013
11:18:43 PM
I would wait to see how the homemade wheel holds up under actual use before copying the design.

The Stealth and Raptor wheels have already been tested and demonstrated to be glider safe.
Question
Sep 02 2013
11:34:49 PM
Candy, Yea my wife wants to just order the raptor wheel, but i'm curious to see the homemade one . The eco-raptor wheel with trimmers is $32 plus $12 shipping = $44. Which isn't bad for the wheel, but since I am a cheapy, the shipping price is getting to me haha. Is this the main website to order the raptor wheel?

www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/shop-for-wheels.html

It says 4.5 inch stand is the standard size. Is that enough room in case a glider is riding on the outside mesh to be able to spin completely around without getting hit on the bottom of the cage?

Question
Sep 02 2013
11:45:29 PM
You can go up to 5" high for the stand.

You also may have to anchor it like tie it with a strip of fleece so it doesn't move. I had a wheel on a stand in there and it moved around quite a bit. So I just got the cage mounted ones when I ordered these.

I have them mounted @ 10" so they are about 5" off the floor of the cage.

The gliders hang on with all fours and don't come close to hitting the floor if they hitch a ride on the outside.
Question
Sep 02 2013
11:54:58 PM
Thanks =) For this one I can go up to 5.5 in. would 4.5in be good or would 5.5in be better? It would be the PVC stand.

Edited by - Sugar6912 on Sep 02 2013 11:58:11 PM
Question
Sep 03 2013
12:09:29 AM
I think I would go taller
Question
Sep 03 2013
07:49:33 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I have the Eco-Raptor and my girlies love it.
Question
Sep 05 2013
11:05:53 AM
BabyJojo Glider Visit BabyJojo's Photo Album 67 Posts
The stealth wheel comes with 2 sanding sheets that go on opposite sides of each other.

Someone said that it only comes with one. They are wrong.

Deffinately purchase the first set of trim tracks for hardware and sand paper template.

Also, shipping is $5 flat rate for a box that fits the wheel, so $12 is just a scam on the real price of wheel.

I don't do business with companies that over charge for shipping and try to trick their customers. Bad business model. Prices should include shipping or be no more than $8. $5 for shipping and a couple bucks for gas to post office. If they were honest, they would sell the wheel for $32 with $5 shipping. But then their wouldn't look like as big of a difference between it and the Stealth.

Question
Sep 05 2013
11:34:04 AM
I agree! shipping is a ridiculous price! Unfortunately, every place that sells the wheels both stealth and raptor all charge $12 shipping.

Edited by - Sugar6912 on Sep 05 2013 11:34:42 AM
Question
Sep 05 2013
12:44:08 PM
I paid $8 for shipping on Stealth wheel.
Question
Sep 05 2013
01:11:13 PM
tsugie Super Glider Visit tsugie's Photo Album 370 Posts
I just went to AttiWorx and I'm being charge S10.69 for USPS Standard Post and $12.19 for Priority Mail.
Did the same for the Raptor and they are charging me $12 for shipping, no option.
At least with the Stealth Wheel you are given some options.
Question
Sep 05 2013
01:18:02 PM
quote:
Also, shipping is $5 flat rate for a box that fits the wheel, so $12 is just a scam on the real price of wheel.

Have you looked at POSTAL RATES lately?

Even the small Priority Mail fixed rate box costs $5.80.

A large flat rate box goes for $16.85 - but they are not large enough for most glider wheels.

Prices based on the SIZE of the box and weight may exceed those rates.

Question
Sep 05 2013
01:25:01 PM
Terri1967 Glider Visit Terri1967's Photo Album USA 101 Posts
I got mine from AttiWork and paid $10.69 for shipping for my Stealth wheel. It's an awesome wheel!
Question
Sep 05 2013
01:30:58 PM
Many vendors just 'eat' the postage costs.

I built $5 into the price of my GliderKid Carriers back when the small flat rate box cost $4.85 to mail to cover mailing. It now cost me $5.80 but I have not raised the cost of my GliderKid Carriers to cover the difference.
Question
Sep 05 2013
03:00:23 PM
Tigerlily88 Face Hugger Visit Tigerlily88's Photo Album KY, USA 842 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

quote:

Have you looked at POSTAL RATES lately?

Even the small Priority Mail fixed rate box costs $5.80.

A large flat rate box goes for $16.85 - but they are not large enough for most glider wheels.

Prices based on the SIZE of the box and weight may exceed those rates.

AMEN! It's easy to sit there and complain on the other side of the fence, but being a small business is tough, it's not exactly like most of us vendors are rolling in dough over here. Shipping IS outrageous, and the postal service is probably the most expensive. I also end up eating a lot of those costs though just to use them, they deliver the fastest and also now will insure your packages. Most people don't even think about that part.
Question
Sep 05 2013
03:25:30 PM
Yea, I, personally, wasn't saying that the people that charge the $12 (or whatever it costs) for the raptor wheel, stealh wheel, or any wheel are overcharging....I am just saying that the PRICE OF SHIPPING in general is getting ridiculous. It costs a lot to just send a small package now these days. I understand they HAVE to charge what the post office is requiring.
Question
Sep 05 2013
10:02:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Minnesota Zoo

The trim tracks for the raptor, there are two of them about 4" long on opposite sides, the stealth wheels track is only one strip 6" long on one side.
My Raptor wheel came with them installed for me and the stealth I put on my self.

quote:
Originally posted by BabyJojo

"The stealth wheel comes with 2 sanding sheets that go on opposite sides of each other.
Someone said that it only comes with one. They are wrong.

That probably has to do with size of wheel you ordered. My first stealth is the 9" wheel and there is one track piece not 2.

Question
Sep 05 2013
11:01:16 PM
Then it would be helpful to mention that in your post so people can compare apples to apples and not a 9" wheel to a 12" wheel.
Question
Sep 05 2013
11:57:40 PM
The OP was asking for basic info...the wheel sizes were not mentioned or being specifically discussed.

I was stating the fact that 2 of my wheels have the trimmer tracks, one of my Raptor's and the Stealth are the same sized wheel and I was stating the difference of the two.

I'm sorry if that was too confusing.
Question
Sep 07 2013
11:05:28 AM
Question, To those who ordered a raptor wheel before, how long did it take from placing the order to receiving the wheel? Like the total time. Or does anyone know how long it usually takes at least from ordering the wheel to it being shipped?
Question
Sep 07 2013
12:56:12 PM
My latest one (the Raptor)I ordered last month, was about 2 1/2 weeks from the time I ordered it til I got it. My New gliders LOVE it.
Question
Sep 07 2013
02:57:07 PM
Stealth wheels arrived 2 days after ordering and I chose basic shipping.

Great service.
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders