Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Eco-raptor wheel vs stealth wheel vs Make a wheel?
Previous |
Page: of 2
Question
Sep 07 2013
10:01:50 PM
Brittulip Glider Visit Brittulip's Photo Album WI, USA 75 Posts
I have two raptors and one stealth wheel. I love them both. I should mention that I do not have the eco-raptor, just 2 regular raptors... one of which has a huge 6.5" track.

Edited by - Brittulip on Sep 07 2013 10:05:44 PM
Question
Sep 08 2013
08:32:06 AM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
I am glad someone posted on how long it took to get the Raptor wheel. I recently ordered the Original Raptor wheel back on August 24th and that was 2 weeks ago. I got a receipt and I was starting to wonder if they got my order. Then I realized I put it on my credit card, not my debit card. So it was charged, I was starting to wonder were it was at.

Oh I was wondering what is the difference between the Eco Raptor and the Original? I ordered the original. Also, I ordered the one that can be installed on the side of the cage. When I get it, how high should I put this in the cage? I have seen several different postings on high and low areas of installing the wheel. I was concerned of putting it to high and one of the gliders flying out of it or something.

I can't wait to get it, and I have been very excited about getting it. I originally ordered the wodent wheel, not knowing the problems it has. I also hate pulling the entire thing apart to clean it well. It get disgusting in a very short while.

Edited by - sunglider on Sep 08 2013 08:34:21 AM
Question
Sep 08 2013
10:28:49 AM
BB Glider GliderMap Visit BB's Photo Album FL, USA 85 Posts
I have our wheel up high in the cage and one on the floor. They use the one up high the most.
Question
Sep 08 2013
07:25:48 PM
you are not worried of them flying out during it spinning around?
Question
Sep 08 2013
07:50:04 PM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
I don't know about other Gliders, but MoMo runs really fast which causes him to "fly" out sometimes. It doesn't hurt him, because he goes straight to running again LoL. There has been some "experiments" that shows Gliders like running in wheels higher in the cage than running on the bottom. This completely makes sense though, because Sugar Gliders are tree dwelling animals. The spend majority of their time in the wild VERY high in trees. They can even glide from a distance of 150 ft!
Question
Sep 08 2013
07:58:09 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I have mine lower in the cage but that is more because I have a lot of hanging things at the top and less stuff on the floor/lower level.

Pixie is my girl who is the main user of the wheels(the other 2 do use it but I think Pixie is on high octane) She will run as fast as she can and jump out to the other side of the cage or land on her kitchen igloos...she has a blast doing that.

Question
Sep 08 2013
09:12:42 PM
Well I am looking forward to getting my new wheel, it should be here in a couple of days.
Question
Sep 09 2013
04:03:14 PM
Sugar6912 Glider Visit Sugar6912's Photo Album 135 Posts
Sunglider, did you get an update when it was shipped? I'm just curious as to how long it takes from ordering a wheel to having it shipped. I tried calling David a couple times, but it went to a default voicemail. Anyone know him personally and can confirm that the phone number on the website is correct or know of the best way to get in touch with him.
Question
Sep 09 2013
05:46:56 PM
Well I did send him an email, and it was shipped out today. So I should be receiving it soon. It was sent Priority Mail, threw the post office. So I am not sure how long Priority mail takes.
Question
Sep 09 2013
06:05:36 PM
Thanks. I did get ahold of him. :)
Question
Sep 09 2013
07:36:07 PM
aalysonh Glider Visit aalysonh's Photo Album 114 Posts
I don't think anybody answered the question on the difference between the eco raptor and the raptor. I don't know every difference but I did read that the eco raptor you could NOT submerge the wheel in a cleaning solution because the bearings were not completely enclosed and will rust after a while, as with the raptor you could because it's turning mechanism is completely waterproof and enclosed.
Question
Sep 09 2013
07:49:48 PM
We are getting the eco-raptor wheel. If you go to the site, and go to frequently asked questions he compares the eco vs the classic. This is quoted from the site.

"What is the difference between the Eco Raptor and the Classic Raptor?

Mainly the Eco Raptor has limited options to streamline production, rubber gaskets, and a smaller bearing. The Classic Raptor is fully customizable, has a hard tubing gasket, and a larger, more durable bearing."
Question
Sep 09 2013
08:06:46 PM
I bought the classic. I re looked at the email, and priority mail is 1-3 days. So I should receive my wheel tomorrow or day after.
YEAH
Question
Sep 12 2013
11:15:32 AM
sunnyday Joey 31 Posts
I asked my boyfriend about the bearing assemblies before I bought my Raptor Mod Wheels (which I've been posting about in my own thread). he is a diesel and regular automotive mechanic so he knows all about bearings and seals.

I may be a day late and a dollar short on this thread, but I figured I'd post anyway for anyone who may look up this thread in the future.

The stealth wheel's bearings I believe are completely sealed...which means you can wash the stand and the wheel together and no water will reach the bearings and you don't have to worry about pee rusting the bearings. I've had at least four of them (now that I think of it...I think I had 5 but I just say 4 because I know that for sure lol). I had two flyers and two massive cages I needed to furnish with two wheels a piece ;) Plus squirrels chew a lot no matter what wheel you buy.

The eco stealth wheel's bearings are not sealed and it states they "have no interchangeable parts" (which probably means it can't be taken apart either, but that answer is best left to the seller I suppose).

The raptor mod wheel can be taken off of it's stand assembly and has interchangeable parts, as stated on the website, which allows you to clean the wheel head with no worries about the bearings getting rusted. however, that does not mean the bearings are sealed. They are probably still unsealed, which means that things like pee and water can rust them. However, since it has interchangeable parts, you can replace the bearing assembly I believe.

Also besides veggie oils to prevent rust on the bearings, there ARE food grade lubricants out there apparently that are used on the doors to food trucks for example. I'm assuming food grade would make it safe for a glider should you want to do preventative maintenance on the eco, but don't hold me to it. i
ll ask him what the brand is.

I hope you got your qot your wheels. And I agree, most shippers eat the cost of shipping. Boxes are more expensive than you think and the flat rate boxes from USPS for example really aren't big enough for a large wheel. lol I could ask my uncle about that he works for the PO :)

Question
Oct 26 2014
08:16:57 PM
Well I thought I would bring this past posting up because it has some really good information on of the wheel choices.

I was just questioning what grit of sand paper that should be used to the inserts on the raptor wheel. Up above on the post it Candy stated 400 grade fine, and you buy it at the hardware store. Well I have had my Raptor wheel now for over a year and it is still working great and I am very happy with it. I have been going without the sandpaper inserts and I can state that I can tell a difference after having them and now not having them for some time. So I wanted to run to Home Depot and was overwhelmed at what grit size to choose. We were actually looking fine 150 but I ended up leaving because I just felt that Home Depot really did not have much to choose from and I wanted to make sure that I was getting the correct grit of sand paper.

So appreciate any input on the sandpaper grit and places to buy. Is it just the hardware store?
Question
Oct 27 2014
04:54:20 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My raptor wheel took 2 or 3 weeks, but it was worth the wait! I now have a second raptor on order. Apparently the man who makes the wheels does it in addition to a full time job. I checked out the stealth wheel but it didn't look like it would fit through the door of my cage with the stand i wanted. Anyway, my gliders are very happy with their new wheel.
Question
Oct 29 2014
01:24:23 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
I actually have a tutorial on making a wheel on my blog "Wild Little Monkeys". It's really not that hard. Getting the bearings might be the most difficult part. Luckily my husband was able to get me some from work. Here's teh link:

www.wildlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/

I have a zipperbag tutorial on there too. I plan on adding some new tutorials soon. Just been swamped with stuff. Now especially with a rescued pair that I found out the next day after I got them that the female has 2 joeys in pouch. I'll be making a few wheels myself. LOL

Shannon
http://www.wildlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/

Edited by - shannonlcorum on Oct 29 2014 01:25:09 PM
Question
Oct 31 2014
05:16:40 PM
Wow Shannon I checked out your tutorial for making your own wheel. It is very well done and I have to say that I impressed. Not that I plan on making my own wheel but I still thought for anyone that wants to make one it is very easy to follow.
Question
Dec 01 2014
01:50:43 AM
CorgiRider Starting Member 2 Posts
I am getting a couple sugar gliders myself here in the next couple months. One thing I'm looking for in a wheel is how loud it is. The stealth is suppose to be known for how quiet it is, but I've heard the raptor is even quieter. Can anyone testify to this?
Question
Dec 01 2014
10:00:10 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I have 6 stealth wheels in use every night by my 3 colonies. The Stealths are all 5 years or more old and STILL silent.

I have no experience with the raptor wheels (they were not made when I bought the stealths)
Question
Dec 01 2014
12:10:30 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
We have two Eco-Raptors, one for each cage/colony. They all love them, they can play on them together, they're sturdy, and they're quiet. I haven't ever noticed the noise. You can hear that something is moving, but it isn't loud. We have trim trax on both and like it.
Question
Dec 01 2014
03:44:35 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I was just looking at getting some replacement parts for the raptor and noticed that they now have a stainless version with a removable head (wheel) for easy cleaning. Trim strips are still an option with this one. It would cost half the price of this new wheel just for the parts and shipping I need, so I'm seriously considering this new upgrade.

I've always felt that the mesh just never fully released all of the glider scent even after a thorough cleaning. I would like to see how the stainless holds up, especially since one of my girls likes to chew holes in the mesh!
Question
Dec 02 2014
02:16:36 AM
CorgiRider Starting Member 2 Posts
I'm very interested in this new steel mesh one as well. I feel like it would be rougher on their little feet though. It is still pretty new, I may just go with the original mesh and see how reviews for this one are for their first birthday or something.

Another topic I've been curious about is to the best way to put this in your cage. I first thought mounting it on the cage would be best, but I've read this can cause problems with the cage and be more loud.
Question
Dec 02 2014
07:24:07 AM
I think it just depends on the cage. A sturdy cage shouldn't cause any trouble, I prefer the cage mount on the congo cage.
Information
Dec 02 2014
10:33:05 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You might ask David how to mount the wheel.

Stainless steel for the track seems like it would make the wheel VERY heavy and it might cause bars to break on some cages.

I use stealth wheels side mounted and one of my cages came with a back panel that is not the same sturdy quality as the rest of the cage. I have had the stealth wheel break bars in two locations on that back panel. The wheels have not been a problem on the sides of this cage or any of the walls of my two identical cages that are very sturdy all round.

Question
Dec 07 2014
01:08:15 AM
jaylenehiatt Starting Member Visit jaylenehiatt's Photo Album 6 Posts
Oh man if only there was a way to test em out. ;) This one I am following.
Question
Dec 07 2014
10:20:20 AM
I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I'm going to get one for the girls for christmas.
Previous |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders