Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
sugar glider eyes color
sugar glider eyes color
Health related
Feb 01 2014
06:51:59 AM
Hi All, at the beggining I want to warn that I am from Poland and my english in not perfect, well maybe not even good so please for forbearance.
Anyway, coz here, in Poland sugar gliders are not very popular, we who own these little creatures need to gain knowledge from english sites. Therefore I am looking for answear why ones of my gliders have blue iris and another brown. I have 2 suggies with lets say blue eyes from one breeder, and 1 suggie with brown eyes from another breeder. I've been told that mother of these two have cataract. I know that cataract is a genetic thing but is it possible that this blue iris indicate cataract or it is something else?
Health related
Feb 01 2014
07:03:52 AM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Do you have a vet with sugar glider experience? You probably need to have your baby checked. I would be concerned with possible blindness. Suggies eyes should be black or very dark brown. They should also not reflect in light like a cat's eyes would. Do they seem to move around okay? Find food and such? It could be something that can be treated with meds so I'd get them to the vet ASAP to see what he/she thinks is going on.
Health related
Feb 01 2014
09:22:16 AM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
This is what Sugar Glider's eyes are supposed to look like.

This is Morgan's (another member who has cute babies) Suggie.

This is tsugie's (another member here) Glider

Their eyes should be clear (no foggy eyes), shiny, bright, alert, and all black.
Can you post a picture of them? Or you can look at past threads about blind Sugar Gliders and compare them to yours.

By the way, I love the way you talk..or type

Edited by - MoMo MaMa on Feb 01 2014 09:25:20 AM
Health related
Feb 01 2014
09:29:17 AM
oli Starting Member 3 Posts
They see, all of them, they don't have any problems with that. I ment two of three of my sugars have dark blue instead of brown IRIS, not whole eye, pupils are black and shining, just the iris are diffrent. Both of the parents of those two had dark blue iris, and mother have catact on one eye, father don't have it.
Health related
Feb 01 2014
09:45:13 AM
oli Starting Member 3 Posts
Hi MoMo MaMa, is my english so bad? .
Their eyes look the same as Morgan's, but if you come little closer and look at this big eyes in the morning light, you will see that two of them have dark blue and another dark brown iris If you took a picture you will not see the diffrents, or maybe my camera is too primitive to catch that well I need to admit it is, you can see some (bad) pictures of these two at my site lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/tola-i-lola/
BTW your picture is awesome

pictures of parens:
mother: right eye with bigginig of cataract lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/zawieszka-2/
father: no cataract (unless not verified) lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/alvin-2/ (see second picture, camera catched blue irish)

Edited by - oli on Feb 01 2014 09:54:43 AM
Health related
Feb 02 2014
09:41:09 AM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
I see what you mean. Hmmm...
I don't really have any answers. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this subject will come around.
Health related
May 06 2016
06:19:01 PM
OtisandAnnie Starting Member 1 Posts
Hi! Do you have an answer to this now? My new baby Has this and I'm curious, no one seems to have an answer. Please respond!

quote:
Originally posted by oli

Hi MoMo MaMa, is my english so bad? .
Their eyes look the same as Morgan's, but if you come little closer and look at this big eyes in the morning light, you will see that two of them have dark blue and another dark brown iris If you took a picture you will not see the diffrents, or maybe my camera is too primitive to catch that well I need to admit it is, you can see some (bad) pictures of these two at my site lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/tola-i-lola/
BTW your picture is awesome

pictures of parens:
mother: right eye with bigginig of cataract lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/zawieszka-2/
father: no cataract (unless not verified) lotopalanki.pl/galeria-2/alvin-2/ (see second picture, camera catched blue irish)

sugar glider eyes color

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
sugar glider eyes color