GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Getting a second glider soon!
Question
Apr 05 2014
02:25:55 PM
Hello all,
I already have one boy and planned to get another from the start. An opportunity has come up so I'm hoping he'll have a buddy very soon if everything works out. However, I have a few questions. Will it be much harder to take care of two? I'm willing to do whatever is best for my boy and I'm excited. I just want to know if anything becomes more difficult with 2. Also, my baby is very territorial, so I'm wondering if it's difficult to introduce them and everything. I'm slightly worried he will get jealous. I've researched all the quarantine stuff and am prepared for that. Lastly, when adopting a rescue how much harder is it to bond? Thanks in advance!

-G
Question
Apr 05 2014
05:15:32 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
As long as you follow the quarantine procedures and take your time doing the introductions they should be fine as cage mates.

I would make sure BOTH males are neutered and they have some time before introductions for their hormone levels to drop before introductions begin.

It is no more difficult to care for two gliders once they are sharing a cage than it is to care for one. You only need to increase the amount of food offered each night to a dinner for two and you might need to clean the cage pan a little more frequently. Other than that, there is no difference in the care.

bonding with a rescue glider may take a bit longer depending on how he has been handled previously - but bonding is different for every glider. Just work on building his trust and you will be fine.
Question
Apr 05 2014
05:23:54 PM
Gliderinatardis Starting Member 2 Posts
My boy Nian is already neutered, and the rescue I'm hoping to get the new one from neuters their boys, so I should be good to go there. I'm very excited. Thanks for the advice!
Question
Apr 06 2014
01:12:04 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Candy, I had a question about bonding with two gliders. My little Blossom and I are doing pretty well on the bonding, but I still worry that she is lonely so I am looking for a friend for. She doesn't come to me when I have her out. When I do get another glider, would that make the bonding progress a little quicker or should I wait until we are fully bonded? A bigger concern I had about having two gliders is the bonding pouch time during travel. Will the two girls be okay in the same bonding pouch all day (after they are bonded to eachother)? I take my glider everywhere and I feel like having two to worry about might be a hassle.. How do people with more than one glider travel from place to place throughout the day with them?
Question
Apr 06 2014
02:09:05 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
If you can start looking for her companion now...that would be great,you don't have to wait to be "fully bonded" with your current glider.

Since there is the 30 day quarantine period(fecal testing and wellness check at the start, and then a fecal again in 30 days to make sure no parasites have hatched out since the last test) and then the introduction process of (scent)swapping with pouches and toys which should be about a week to two.

Actually adding a friend can actually speed up the bonding process. There is a comfort and safety level they gain when they have a buddy.

Single gliders can often take longer to bond even if their person spends a lot of time with them.

Once they are introduced and living together, then they can be in the bonding pouch together...no problem.
Question
Apr 06 2014
02:09:36 PM
Sharitza787 Glider Visit Sharitza787's Photo Album FL, USA 104 Posts
Hi sunrae i have 4 gliders and i made a pouch thats big enough for all four and take them with me places and not a Hassel at all they just sleep and sleep and sleep lol.
Question
Apr 06 2014
02:11:04 PM
I agree with minessotta zoo!
Question
Apr 06 2014
02:51:04 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Thank you so much, Minnesota Zoo! I am also (at the moment) reading up on quarantine procedures here at work (where I read up on all my glider info on the down low :P). I didn't know vet examinations are necessary TWICE for new gliders, but the way you explained it made so much sense. I wondered why my vet did a stool test, but it all makes sense now :). Thank you for your help. As soon as I get a good pay day, I seriously want to find her a friend. I've been doing searching here and there but as the days go by I realize that I need to get more serious. My birthday is in two days, maybe I can spend good time looking for a little girl :)

Sharitza787, oh my goodness!! I MUST see pictures!!!

Edited by - sunRaeTX on Apr 06 2014 02:52:50 PM
Question
Apr 06 2014
04:29:26 PM
Sunrea if you have facebook look me up i have loads of pics there! I cant figure out how to upload pics here it always says error... look me up by Sharitza Rosario...
Question
Apr 06 2014
06:00:29 PM
Sharitza787, okay, I will
Question
Apr 06 2014
09:10:35 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by sunRaeTX

I didn't know vet examinations are necessary TWICE for new gliders

For the second test you my be able to just bring in the stool samples. Check with your vet to be sure. It will save you an office visit charge if they will do that for you.

I'm glad to help! You are welcome

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders