Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Rejection---HELP
Rejection---HELP
Question
Apr 07 2014
11:47:12 AM
I have a male and female pair that have had two litters before this new one but the ones before died and now she is rejecting one of the new joeys!! Please help! I need to know what to do the first 24 hours... His eyes aren't open and his ears twitch so he isn't very old. I am keeping him warm by holding him. What do you recommend? PLEASE help! I don't want to lose him!
Question
Apr 07 2014
12:20:03 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
You need to get a Joey rejection kit ASAP: www.suzsugargliders.com/joeykit.htm

Until you get it, you need to give him another milk source. I'm not sure what the best would be. You might ask Suz herself. Call your vet, ask him/her what milk replacement you should give until you get your kit. I would get it shipped as fast as you can get it. You need to get some sort of milk replacement in your baby NOW. This cannot wait until later or tomorrow. Babies eat every few hours. Hopefully someone else on here with baby experience will chime in. I had my male neutered to prevent dealing with this myself. I'll be praying for your and your little guy.

Check the posts, there was another person on here who is going through the same thing. I believe she used breast milk after getting her vet's okay. But call your vet, they may have something there to hold him over until you get the stuff from Suz.

Good luck!
Question
Apr 07 2014
03:37:36 PM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
Do you have a joey rejection kit? I'm assuming with this being your third set of joeys that you do?

He will need to be fed every 2 hours for the next few days. Do you have Wombaroo Milk Replacer? If not then puppy milk replacer can also be used, but ideally Wombaroo is best as it's designed for gliders.

He will also need you to stimulate him to toilet. Do you know how to do this?

Joeys cannot regulate their own body temperatures so you need to keep him warm. Not just wrapped up, he ideally needs to be on your skin or on some sort of heat source. A snuggle safe heat pad or a hot water bottle that is covered and regulated to make sure it is kept at a safe, warm temperature.

If your female has rejected her third litter then I think we will al strongly suggest that you neuter the male, these are clearly not working out as a breeding pair and it is unfair on all of the gliders to allow them to keep breeding.

Good luck with this little guy but if you haven't prepared for rejection before now then the odds are strongly against you at his age :(
Question
Apr 07 2014
03:50:37 PM
Melina Glider Visit Melina's Photo Album 89 Posts
I'm going threw this now if the baby is dehydrated use plain pedialyte for 24 hrs if u can order the milk from suz do so until then u can use puppy milk also u need an incubator for when you can't keep the Joey on you . Good luck with the baby.
Rejection---HELP

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Rejection---HELP