Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Am I Doing Anything Wrong?
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2014
09:12:00 AM
So, I just want your opinion on what I feed my gliders. They never finish everything, so I don't think they're underfed. I know they're not filling up on the chicken & brown rice blend since they only eat very little of that to snack on. Here's an example of what I feed my two little ones every night:

quote:
1. Fruits:
One inch cubes of papaya, apple, and banana

2. Vegetables:
A head of baby Bok choy, and one large baby carrot

3. Other:
1/4 of a boiled egg, calcium and vitamin supplement from Sun Coast, and their Wholesome Balance Chicken & Brown Rice Blend

I then chop everything up so they can hold the pieces easily.

I think it would be best to get them on a staple diet. I was looking into the Original HPW since I know they need more protein in their diet. For some reason, they just won't touch any protein source I throw at them. I've tried everything under the rainbow. I keep trying to give them things in different forms, but nothing is working. If anything, they nibble on the egg. I keep giving it because I presume something is better than nothing.

I was also looking at BML and the Pet Glider Exotic (Priscilla Price) diet. I'm not sure what to go with. I am willing to any one of them.

Finally, I am wondering what your opinion was on giving a tad bit of vanilla Ensure to my gliders was. They were starting to look malnourished so I got really worried. They're looking better now. And because of the fact they aren't eating anything with protein, I was giving them about 1/8 a teaspoon each of vanilla Ensure a night for the time being until I get a staple. I've read about Darcy's Diet, so I think it's okay?

Sorry for the wall of text. Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by - Melonbat on Apr 08 2014 09:13:27 AM
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2014
01:10:56 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
You're trying...that's for sure. But they absolutely need an approved diet. The ones you've mentioned are good...none are better than another, it's more personal preference and what you're capable of providing...but they need to be on ONE...period.

I wouldn't give the ensure. The quantities of vitmins and minerals are not in any kind of balance of what a glider needs...and could lead to an overdose. Sprinkling the vitamins as you are can also lead to the same issue.

Get those babies on a good diet asap. Especially since you are noticing possible malnutrition or failure to fully thrive.

Best of luck!!!! Stay vigilant!!!
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2014
01:53:09 PM
Melonbat Starting Member 7 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Nostalgic

You're trying...that's for sure. But they absolutely need an approved diet. The ones you've mentioned are good...none are better than another, it's more personal preference and what you're capable of providing...but they need to be on ONE...period.

I wouldn't give the ensure. The quantities of vitmins and minerals are not in any kind of balance of what a glider needs...and could lead to an overdose. Sprinkling the vitamins as you are can also lead to the same issue.

Get those babies on a good diet asap. Especially since you are noticing possible malnutrition or failure to fully thrive.

Best of luck!!!! Stay vigilant!!!

Thank you! I'm leaning towards HPW, but I'm still going to research more to make sure I get the right one!
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2014
09:02:03 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
I'm sure you'll get scores of food and staple diet advice, so I'll let the others do that and skip to a little help for 'in the mean time' while your making your decision on the best diet.

Have you tried meal worms? Most gliders LOVE them. Get the large from petco or petsmart or other pet stores that sell lizards and such.

Love that your taking such time to take care of them well Hugs
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2014
12:00:46 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Sprinkling on vitamins and calcium on their food is not really a good way to make sure they are getting what they need. You have no idea how much they are actually consuming which may be way too much or not nearly enough.

If you want a diet you can get right now (based on where you live of course) try Judith's Modified Leadbeaters. You can get everything at the grocery and Local Pet Smart. Its easy, fairly inexpensive (once you make the initial vitamin purchase) and provides the Ca:P ratio they need. You can find it at:

http://www.mylittlegremlin.com

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders