Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Quick introduction question.. this is normal right??
Question
Apr 08 2014
06:06:09 PM
So I started introductions last night. (After quarintine and all that)

Everything went better than expected and they got along at first sight.

I decided to put them in the cage the same night. Cleaned as much as possible.

Through the night I was hearing some type of high pitch screeching noise. Kind of like the one that a glider makes when hes mad and launges at you. (Not crabbing, or barking) I did hear Momo hissing at her a few times when she ran away from him but nothing special. They were very sporadic and maybe I heard them once every few hours. Not often at all but I did hear them. I counted maybe 7 total.

Is this them just kind of playing? Or establishing territory within the pouch even though they were cuddling? The noise was only coming when they were taking turns running in the wheel or inside the pouch.
I would look into it and they would look up at me like "whats up??"
I deemed this normal... what do you guys think?

Edited by - elweshomayor on Apr 08 2014 06:09:30 PM
Question
Apr 08 2014
09:44:49 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
As long as they are not balling up and fighting they are fine.

They are probably just working out between them which glider is going to be dominant in the cage.

Make sure you have their food in two locations in the cage until you are sure they will share a dish peacefully.
Question
Apr 09 2014
02:27:57 AM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
OMG it looks like they are hugging! Lol :) so adorable.

I can wait for the 30 day quarantine period to be over when we get our new one tomorrow! Ugh, it will be a longggg 30 days!
Question
Apr 10 2014
07:37:38 PM
elweshomayor Glider Visit elweshomayor's Photo Album 70 Posts
Theyre still doing this often. It seems a little more prolonged than before. Are they biting harder??

Also this is ONLY in the pouch or sleeping place. Sometimes when trying to get the wheel. . I don't get it.
They don't seem to be hurting eachother that bad.. is this mating behavior? The male is intact although thr femalw is doing most of the fighting.. if you can call it fighting.
Question
Apr 10 2014
07:40:55 PM
elweshomayor Glider Visit elweshomayor's Photo Album 70 Posts
I dont even see them actually bitting eachother more so than just a quick loud screech. They have separate places where they could sleep but they choose to be together. Im confused as to why they keep doing that
Question
Apr 10 2014
09:09:37 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It probably would have been a better choice if you had waited to do the introductions until after you had the male neutered.

You probably are hearing some mating going on. Be sure to check your gliders daily for any mating wounds. The male often holds the female on her shoulder using his teeth which sometimes can result in an injury that needs immediate vet care.

You may want to educate your self on breeding and taking care of joeys. You have no way of knowing that these gliders are unrelated so you need to be prepared for joeys that may have health issues related to inbreeding.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders