Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Ant problem!
Ant problem!
Question
Apr 09 2014
04:26:10 PM
So every year we get an "ant problem" around this time of year when all those little tiny ants come in. They're driving me crazy! Even after hosing down the cage and cleaning and vacuuming often, they still are attracted to the cage. I have a food kitchen and limited feed times too, so Idk what else to do about cage cleanliness! I'm afraid to use the little ant poison hut things (if you guys know what I'm talking about) because I'm afraid if the ants come in contact with the poison, the sugar gliders might eat them and ingest it too (maybe I'm a little paranoid) and those things barely work anyways. I also don't want to use Raid for obvious reasons of the gliders safety and the fact that I'm expecting so I'm trying to stay away from heavy chemicals. So does anyone have any natural ant repellent tips? I'm currently trying to make a food kitchen that could possibly a little less accessible to ants. But I don't know how well that'll help. Any other ideas?
Question
Apr 09 2014
05:41:12 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
I JUST had this problem!! I cleaned everything really well and did put those ant huts around the cage (out of reach of curious gliders). I also read that bounce dryer sheets keep the aunts away from the cage. Like, I put them underneath the wheels, which is how they would climb up and in the cage, and since I put the bounce sheets under the wheels, I have not seen ONE ant, in or around the cage. I use the ant huts bc they work and the gliders are not allowed out of the cage unless they are sleepy or in the tent, so them finding them is never an issue.

Hope this helps! :)
Question
Apr 09 2014
05:58:35 PM
cathylee14 Joey USA 43 Posts
That does help, I should try that! I did some reading up afterwards and found that drawing a line of chalk where they come in works. I have a hole in my wall where there used to be baseboard heaters and that's where they were coming in, so I drew a circle of chalk all around the hole really thick, then a second circle around that one. The good news is that after watching the ants, they don't cross the line of chalk! But the ones left over cant go back in the hole haha. But I just vacuum those up. I have a giant cut of cardboard under the cage and tried drawing all around the cage but it didn't work. It seems like ants wont cross chalk over certain surfaces but will over others. Weird. I also read they don't like ground cinnamon or lemon juice, so I'll probably use those too! Haha, I'd honestly rather have those little ants flee to the kitchen than in my room around the cage.
Question
Apr 09 2014
06:24:11 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
That's what I said! My husband thinks I'm nuts but I would rather deal with them then the babies!! Haha
Question
Apr 10 2014
09:15:21 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I haven't ever heard of the chalk...but, it is humorous thinking that if anyone came into your house and didn't know what it was they'd think you were warding off demons or something.
Question
Apr 10 2014
12:05:43 PM
cathylee14 Joey USA 43 Posts
It's crazy! It really does work, there weren't any ants in the food dish last night. Haha, my 5 year old niece was visiting and I had her help me draw the chalk lines, and she was like "My mommy would never let me do this!"
Question
Apr 10 2014
12:07:46 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Have you tried treating outside the house? Every spring and fall I get Ortho Max spray and granules. I use the granules in the landscaping and the yard, then use the spray around all windows and against the house. You can even use it inside the house too. I just wouldn't spray it anywhere the gliders might be able to go behind and lick. This stuff is the bomb. It's always worked for me.
Ant problem!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Ant problem!