Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
People who don't take proper care of their suggies
Heated Debates
Apr 09 2014
10:01:45 PM
Someone on Instagram started following me and liking the pictures I post of my boys. So I checked out their profile and it made me sick. They have videos of an extremely obese glider and letting it eat right out of a dish FULL of mealworms. He should be on a diet he's so unhealthy, and I've never seen more yellow fur. Poor thing had boobs he was so fat! And the comments were laughing and thinking it's funny. Another video of a young glider "after his shower", the things soaking wet, you don't bathe suggies!!!!! Just disgusting, some people make me want to beat them. I love my boys so much I almost felt like they were violating them just liking their pictures!
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
12:12:54 PM
cathylee14 Joey USA 43 Posts
I don't know how instagram works but I would just comment "This is sheer animal abuse" and let that soak in for them. Do you think SPCA or ASPCA would do anything about it? You could try reporting it. They'd have plenty of video evidence.
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
12:17:11 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
It's sadly a lack of education. There are a so many people who get sucked into buying their babies at flea markets, malls, garden shows, etc. We all know the glider mill's I'm talking about. Unfortunately, these places also give terrible information.

Other people probably just don't realize that gliders are not like hamster, or guinea pigs, or bunnies. They probably think if they bathe them, it will get rid of the stink. The rest of us know that 1)gliders smell when the cage needs cleaned and 2)males will stink if not neutered.

It is sad and I find myself commenting on these videos to try and tell people, no, it's not funny to watch your glider scrambling to get out the water, he's not swimming, he's drowning. And no, it's not funny when they run in circles and do backflips, he's not playing, he's going crazy from boredom and loneliness. I saw one where this young guy was taking his glider and throwing it into the air and catching. He was laughing because he thought it was funny how the glider would put out all 4 limbs and spread his little flaps out. My comment wasn't very nice. I think I said something like, "WTF is wrong with you?! He's not flying, he's terrified. Gliders have a fear of falling, what you are doing is abusive and cruel."

I was pretty ticked off about it.
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
01:23:09 PM
AnnXoJ Glider Visit AnnXoJ's Photo Album 83 Posts
That literally makes me so angry/sad just to hear... I really cannot stand when people don't take proper care for their suggies ... Or any animal! We are supposed to be there to care for them and protect them... keep them healthy .. and to see things like that where people find a obese/unhealthy sugar glider cute just makes me shake my head because they just find it as such a joke, Meanwhile that suggie can be having a million underlaying health problems But I try my best to educate them.. Unfortunetly some are disgustingly rude people and refuse to hear that they are doing wrong by their pet! People always tell em I spoil my pets but I could care less they deserve the best of everything!!
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
03:11:01 PM
maddie.smith28 Joey Visit maddie.smith28's Photo Album maddie.smith28's Journal 27 Posts
When i got my first sugar gliders they told us, "oh you only have to give them kibble, they dont need alot of space, they dont smell at ALL!" Well I was sucked into getting 2 that were pitiful looking. I got home and did ALOT of research. I had no idea what i was getting myself into when i bought them. I love them to death and would not trade them for anything in the world, but i hate the people that lie to get sales because that is how you end up with a bunch of sick sugar gliders on creigslist! I am happy to say I did not listen to her at ALL! I give them fresh food and i got them a BIG cage! Im just saying, thats probably the biggest reason for uninformed suggie owners...
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
04:07:58 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
I agree with cathylee14.
shannonlcorum, I've seen all of the videos on YouTube you're describing and they too made me sick to my stomach :( So cruel.
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
04:48:34 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
What is "yellow fur"?
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
04:48:52 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I agree. And, I too can't help but sometimes look to see what people are posting and then get upset and try to post good information. I'm sure it does little to nothing in 99% of the cases...but even if it helps one, you know?

Sigh.

Glider love~
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
04:54:55 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
It makes me so sick to see animals abused, but even more I see children that are not dressed decently, greasy hair, and not taken care of what so ever. Brought in deathly ill, and if they were brought in sooner, things might have been different. I work in the medical field and unfortunately there are people that treat their children like this.

So sad!!!!
Heated Debates
Apr 10 2014
06:28:30 PM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
I did comment on various videos telling them it wasn't funny and that glider is seriously ill. Being that obese he most definitely can't glide, and he needs to be on a diet pronto!! I also commented on the one of the suggie being bathed and said that it was cruel and tried providing the correct information. Then I deleted them from my instagram. I was so upset I went to my boys cage and gave them some love to mend my broken heart for the other less fortunate suggies out there. Thanks for all the comments and support, it's nice knowing there are many people out there who DO take proper care of their suggies.
Heated Debates
Apr 11 2014
08:51:59 AM
limbo the sugar glider Glider Visit limbo the sugar glider's Photo Album Brunei 155 Posts
it really hurts when i see animal abuse:( especially to my favourite animals like suggies :( it sad we cant really do much about it, the only thing we can do is educate them.
Heated Debates
Apr 12 2014
11:46:28 AM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
That is miserable, but reality. What's even more depressing is when we try to help, but they accuse us saying we act like we know everything. Or when they get offended, because we try to correct how they take care of their pets.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders