Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help me, & my suggie!!
Health related
Apr 11 2014
01:50:25 PM
So I just got my suggie 2 months ago. At first he loved the wheel I put in there for him. He would run on it all night practically. He would eat his apple slice down to the skin. But now he only eats a little of the apple, and runs on the wheel less. I have toys in there, but he isn't interested in them anymore. Every night I feed him frozen veggies that thaw threw out the night( carrots, peas, corn, and green beans), an apple slice, cantaloupe, and I keep some pellets in there. He loves the cantaloupe, and usually only eats the corn and carrots. I don't know what to do because I can tell that he is less active. Please help! Thank you!
Health related
Apr 11 2014
02:25:11 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Well, welcome to Sugar Glider.com

Hate to say it...it's probably the most common thing heard around here. You're probably beginning to notice the effects of a poor diet, among other possibilities.

Pellets, fruits and vegetables are not a stable diet for your suggie. Please research the diets in the gliderpedia (above) and chose one that will work for your circumstances (location, affordability, convenience). In the mean time you could offer some plain, full fat yogurt, finely diced boiled chicken or cooked egg. But, getting his diet straight is absolutely a priority.

How old is your glider?

Is he hydrated? Do a tent test (gently pull up on the skin at the back of his neck), if it stays raised instead of going back into place he is dehydrated. You can offer water or fresh pedialyte (keep refrigerated and it only stays good for 3 days) in small increments with a medicine dropper.

Has he been seen by an exotic vet familiar with sugar gliders? If not, get him to one for a check up asap.

Do your research and take care of his most important needs asap. These little guys can go down very quickly. Would hate for you to have to go through that...time is of the essence.

Best of luck...there are SO many people here to help. Keep asking questions!!!
Health related
Apr 11 2014
02:41:22 PM
Micamicfly Joey Visit Micamicfly's Photo Album 16 Posts
He is about 5 months. I keep water in his cage at all times. And I haven't been to a vet yet because there isn't near me.
Health related
Apr 12 2014
12:36:34 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
His diet definitely needs to be addressed but he could also be depressed from being lonely from the lack of another glider for companionship.

These guys really need a buddy to play, sleep with, and to help with grooming...they love to groom each other.

Those are things that we can never be for them...no matter how much time you spend with him.

There is a recommended 30 quarantine period (and fecal testing needs to be done at the start and end of the 30 days)and then scent swapping for 1-2 weeks after that before you would want to let him meet a buddy face to face.

In the mean time you can find him some fun toys to play with like make him a ball pit and put some foraging snacks in there. Get him some "Barrel of Monkeys" and hang them all over his cage, you can find the hard plastic little girls toy bracelets in the dollar section...hang those around the cage from the monkeys too.
Health related
Apr 12 2014
12:58:01 AM
Yes I am planning on getting him a roommate. What is the fecal testing, and scent swapping you talked about?
Health related
Apr 12 2014
08:56:34 AM
That is really good news he is getting a buddy! He will be so much happier and you will definitely see a change in him.

When you bring the new glider home, you keep them separate with the 30 day quarantine. No shared contact or contact with each others things. Even when you have one of them out of the cage for play time you will want to change clothes and wash hands, arms, to avoid any cross contamination. If they have contact and the fecal test is positive then both will need to be treated for it.

Separate rooms is best, but as far away from each other like opposite ends of the room will work too.

It is recommended to do the first vet check with a fecal testing(basically a wellness exam and to establish your pet as a patient at your clinic, many vets will not see your glider in an emergency unless they have been set up as a patient there.)

The fecal testing is done again at the end of 30 days so you can make sure they are clear of any parasites that may have shed out after the first testing was done.

For the second testing you may be able to just bring in the stool sample for testing and save yourself an office call charge, so ask your vet.

After you get the all clear from the vet on the fecals, then you can start the scent swapping.

You then start switching their toys and fleece sleeping pouches and any fleece hammocks that they use so they get used to the other gliders scents and then by them sleeping in each others pouches...their scents combine so they will have a "new colony" scent so when you introduce them face to face after about 1-2 weeks of scent swapping they won't smell like strangers and have to fight to defend their colony/territory.

You can then also move their cages to the same room/next to each other a foot apart so they cant grab each other arms, legs or tails and injure each other but they can see and talk to each other.

Here is some helpful links to check out when you get a chance...

http://www.gliderkids.com/WhyQuarantine.pdf
http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?IntroductionsByLuckyglider

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Apr 12 2014 08:59:12 AM
Health related
Apr 12 2014
09:56:09 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Your current glider should also have a well check up with a glider experienced vet and fecal (poop) testing to make sure there are no parasite issues that need to be taken care of before introducing a cage mate
Health related
Apr 12 2014
11:33:16 AM
yep, good point...I kind of take that for granted that a new pet coming into our homes have had a wellness exam from a a Vet.

Adding another glider is usually the reason folks become educated on "fecal testing".

Thanks Candy
Health related
Apr 12 2014
12:51:44 PM
Thank you for the info! Now I just have to find a vet! Haha

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders