Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Joeys New Owner and a Sad Cannibalism
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 11 2014
03:14:32 PM
So I've had my male and female glider for about 2 -3 months. I adopted them when my friend was deployed over seas. I didn't even think about them having babies until they were OOP. It's been about 3 days and I've been keeping a close eye on them. Today during lunch I noticed one had passed and was somewhat cannibalized.

I'm not very well bonded with either glider however it's a little less with my female. So is it possibly my handling of the little joeys that caused the cannibalism? What should I do to help prevent a future incident with the other joey? I fully understand that's there's not always a perfect solution with these critters but I'd love have a happy ending.

I want to interact with the joey so it's more people friendly then the parents but I don't want to risk it's life...
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 11 2014
07:34:07 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Your handling of the joey probably had nothing to do with the loss of the joey. It is likely the joey died and the parents were just doing what comes naturally - disposing of the body to prevent it from attracting predators.

I hope all goes well with the other joey but if you do not know the lineage of the parents, it would be best to have the male neutered ASAP to prevent more joeys coming along in the very near future.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 11 2014
10:24:25 PM
WishDRFTR Starting Member USA 2 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I had gliders back in high school but had two females. I never even thought about my current male needing neuter when I got the couple. As you said, it's first on the list now for him.

So I shouldn't be apprehensive to handle the remaining joey?

Hopefully luck is on my side.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders