Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Ca:Ph combos
Food, Diet
Apr 11 2014
03:46:40 PM
Now that I am getting my glider started on HPW (original), I was wondering if anyone has any go to Ca:Ph fruit/veggie combos. Thanks to Candy and matchmakersmagic's math here (www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26933 and www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18406&whichpage=1) I have figured out how to properly serve fruits and veggies using ratios, but how are these combos brought about? Should I just experiment with the numbers for a hit or miss? Please let me know what fruit/veggie combos you've come up with to achieve the golden 2:1 it would be very much appreciated.

Edited by - sunRaeTX on Apr 11 2014 03:48:17 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 11 2014
07:26:45 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The math example posted by Matchmakersmagic is INCORRECT.

You cannot determine the ratio of a combination of foods by adding the ratios.

You must determine the mg amounts of both calcium and phosphorus in the AMOUNT of each food you are combining.

A ratio is a comparison of the amounts of calcium and phosphorus. A food with 30 mg calcium and 15 mg phosphorus would have a ratio of 2:1 but so does a food that has 100 mg calcium and 50 mg phosphorus.

Here is a printable sheet that demonstrates the correct calculation of ratios for combinations of foods.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/RatioExample.pdf

I also have an excel spread sheet on my web page that will do the math for you if you really wish to figure out what you are offering. If you are using one of my staple recipes you can include the staple and do the calculation for the entire feeding. (link to the spread sheet is on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

You do not have to feed 'combinations' of foods and you will probably find it almost impossible to come up with any combinations that actually have that magic number of a 2:1 ratio unless you go overboard with the bok choi and papaya to balance out the other foods you choose.

It is much easier to just limit the very high phosphorus foods like peas and corn to only once or twice a week and include some of the high calcium foods several nights each week and don't sweat the ratios.

Food, Diet
Apr 11 2014
10:28:39 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Whoops, didn't look closely enough to realize Matchmakersmagic was using ratios instead of Ca and Ph mgs. I have yet to see these pages of yours :D Lol I'll take it easy on the ratios :P Thanks for the help, Candy

Edited by - sunRaeTX on Apr 11 2014 10:29:31 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders