Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Trouble with a Chewer!!!
Trouble with a Chewer!!!
News
Apr 16 2014
03:43:28 PM
So apparently I have a Chewer. I am new to the Sugar Glider world and I need some help. I have a cage that it a little too large for my babies so I put mesh around and it worked great for a week or so until I walked into my gliders room and found the place trashed. Apparently they had a party I wasn't invited too. At least they were clever enough to jump back in their sleeping pouch and act like nothing happen. Anyway I keep repairing and every night I find a new hole. So My question is what kind of mesh can I use that he can't wiggle through or chew through?
News
Apr 16 2014
05:03:36 PM
Kimalynn Starting Member 4 Posts
Hmm, i have a chewer too. The only thing that kept her from chewing her water bottle among other things was to give her something else to chew on. so i bought her this long plastic rope thingy with little charms on it and melted a little bit of yogurt treats on it to attract her to it. Eventually she stopped chewing on other things and kept it to particular toys. Find something really durable, like a rubbery plastic toy they can't chew through and put something sweet on it. they'll learn to associate the sweet taste with that toy being okay to chew on. dont overdo the treats though. lol
News
Apr 16 2014
06:10:16 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
Mine a chewers too. I give them my caps from my water bottles or straws and they go to town. I bought wiggle balls and stuck straws and pieces of fleece and treats inside and they just pull it apart. Keeps them busy for hours every night. I change the colors of things or treats and they just love it. It is the best toy I have for them. And it cost me about $3 to make :)
News
Apr 16 2014
06:12:46 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
Whiffle balls** not wiggle balls lol
News
Apr 16 2014
06:52:58 PM
PipSqueak Joey 11 Posts
Ok Great thank you! I did put some new toys in last night but I guess it wasn't distracting enough for him. He seems to be determined to escape, but I never thought of putting treats on them so i'll try ut out. I also have Wiffle balls and straws around so i'll give that a try as well.
News
Apr 16 2014
08:34:41 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Since your glider has figured out that if he chews...he can chew his way out. He will always chew to escape...it is now a learned behavior.

Our horses had a great product called a "Cinch net" that contained their round winter bales of hay and it is meant to keep the bale from being pulled apart and used as bedding(and their toilet), and to slow down their eating of it...well they figured out that if they ripped a hole in the rope netting by biting/chewing holes in it they could pull out huge clumps of hay...we retied and retied all the places they kept making holes and they will not stop since that action is feeding their reward....very smart but also very frustrating for us.

You should probably bite the bullet and get a powder coat metal cage that is recommended for gliders(some are bird cages but will work as well) so he will not be able to chew his way out.
News
Apr 16 2014
09:27:23 PM
PipSqueak Joey 11 Posts
Thank you Minnesota Zoo. Thats what I was afraid of, it seems its his mission to escape and nothing with distract him from it. So I would have to go with a new cage? There isn't any type of mesh that would help keep him in?
News
Apr 16 2014
10:26:02 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Eventually you will need to go with a better cage with bar spacing 1/2 inch or less.

What type of mesh did you use?

Many folks use a plastic hardware cloth sold at Lowe's or Home Depot in the garden section with the fencing to build their own cages. (also called Landware) It is a very thick plastic with 1/2 inch square holes.

If you are using a thinner plastic, such as material designed to keep deer or rabbits out of a garden, that gliders can chew easily, you might try the Landware and see if it works.

Be careful adding mesh to a wire cage. It needs to be attached INSIDE the cage to prevent the gliders from going between the bars and getting trapped between the bars and the mesh. It should be zip tied tightly in numerous locations all over the cage. The cut ends of the zip ties need to be either burned or filed down to make sure there are no sharp points that gliders (Or people) can get cut on.

In addition - the plastic mesh combined with the wires creates many points of contact where glider pee, pooh and food waste can accumulate making the cage very difficult to clean.

Getting a glider safe cage would save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.
Trouble with a Chewer!!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Trouble with a Chewer!!!