Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Should I be worried?
Should I be worried?
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
01:57:46 PM
Should I be worried? This is my first time owning a sugar glider and he is almost a week of eating regular food. The problem is he will only eat apples. He won't touch anything else I give him. I want to make sure he is getting a complete diet. Is this normal for such a young sugar glider? And will his diet change over time and grow to like the types of protein I give him? His health seems to be perfect his poop is normal and regular and he's almost fully potty trained! He's doing wonderful for his age. But I'm worried he's not getting the nutrition he needs.

Also he does not have any interest in water. He won't drink from a dish or a bottle. I know he gets hydration from the apples but is that normal to not want to drink water and if not how do I get him to want to drink. I out water in my finger and put it to his mouth and tried many times to show him the water and he just moves his head out of the way. If someone with a similar problem and knows how to help me I'd be very happy.

I've done an extensive amount of research so my little guy gets everything he needs but I would like some help from people with experience. Thank you!
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
03:19:27 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
You stumped me at potty trained because gliders can't be potty trained. We can be trained to stimulate them to go when they first get up, but trust me, when they need to go, they will. Even if it's on your favorite shirt, or work clothes.

Try putting a little apple juice in the water. What else are you feeding besides apples? Your glider needs to be on one of the staple diets. BML, HPW, Gliderkids, etc.--pick one that works for you. You can find out more about diets in the gliderpedia link above.

Start looking for a second glider if you haven't already. Your baby needs a companion, despite with other places will tell you. He does.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
06:06:45 PM
Haku Glider Visit Haku's Photo Album FL, USA 70 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion. And that's weird that you say they can't be potty trained because mine has gone three days with out one accident and he's only 3 weeks old. He waits till I take and put him on the mat and then sits there and pees and poops. Not to be rude but they can be potty trained but people obviously don't know what they're doing because if you work with them and have a certain routine almost any animal can be potty trained. I don't know how long you've had your gliders but I'd try and make a routine and show them they need to do their business and then it will create a habit.

Good luck and thank you for your diet suggestion.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
06:24:45 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
he's only 3 weeks old.

I hope you really meant to say that you have only had him for 3 weeks.

A 3 week old joey should not be separated from its parents - and should still be nursing from mom.

It this joey is indeed only 3 weeks OOP he may not survive on apples only. He may not be drinking from a dish or a waterbottle because he is too immature and does not know how.

Gliders learn to eat solid foods from their parents as they are gradually weaned. Most do not start going to the food dish with the parents until they are about 5 weeks OOP - which may be why your joey is not eating well.

What types of protein are you offering?

It would be best to choose one of the widely used glider staples that provide a nectar like staple that provided the protein, vitamins and calcium your glider must have to remain healthy. This will also provide a good bit of the liquids he requires. These staples are fed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. I have information on my web page for my own GliderKids Feeding plan and links to other widely used glider diets to help you choose one for your joey.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

However - if your joey is only 3 weeks OOP you might want to see if the individual you purchased the joey from will try to put it back with its parents (assuming they will accept him back.)

It is very possible your joey will NOT survive unless you take steps to make sure he is getting adequate nutrients and enough fluids.

Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
07:14:36 PM
The person I got him off of was very inexperienced and told me it was three weeks they also told me it was a girl but is a boy but he has been doing wonderfully with me for the past week and has shown no sign of malnutrition or weakend bones. And I started offering yogurt and he seems to like that. And I tried the apple juice and water and he seems to somewhat like that too but he only takes a couple drinks then moves back to the apple.
But as far as being to young to be with me or off of bottle feeding I do think that because he is eating just fine and seems to be older than 3 weeks I was just going off of what they told me.

Edited by - Haku on Apr 17 2014 07:23:57 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2014
07:22:40 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2014
08:26:30 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'd say from the picture that something was off with the age the person told you, but you've already said they weren't reliable. Must be older than 3 weeks OOP for sure.

As you have said you've done your research and have come here to ask the advice from others who have more experience than you...it would be a good idea to follow the advice that has been offered. Any of the recommended diets will help you keep your glider healthy and able to thrive...but he needs to be eating one of them asap.

Best of luck, let us know how he does.
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2014
09:27:14 AM
tsugie Super Glider Visit tsugie's Photo Album 370 Posts
Gliders will poo and pee soon after they wake up...so if you are putting him in a mat right after he is waking up that could be giving you the illusion that he is potty trained when in fact he isn't.
Also, you said he isn't eating or drinking much so that could very well be why he isn't "having accidents". Maybe he isn't eating or drinking enough to pee and poop a lot so he only goes right after waking up.
You can't make such a claim when you've also had him for less than a month and he is your first glider.

He could also be scared so he just stays still on the mat but he still has to go so he just does it there.
Most likely when he starts getting more comfortable and moving around more he will pee and poop on you.
Wait after you've had him for a few months...Time will tell you if he really is potty trained. ;)

I take my gliders out after they have been awake for a while so they have peed and pooped and I still get peed and pooped on...just a little less lol
And I got my first gliders about two years ago.
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2014
11:55:48 AM
anEgyptian Joey 33 Posts
Sounds like a pocket pets glider
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2014
01:37:35 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
I've had mine for about 8 months. I get them out when they've been awake a while and have had plenty of time to do their business elsewhere. Maybe they just love me, but for some reason, when they jump out on me for their treats, they feel the need to peepee on me. I've just come to the conclusion that that's how it's going to be. If I don't want it peed on, I cover it up or wear something else until we're done playing.

I often wonder if they aren't marking me as they will sometimes--the male especially--rub their chests across my arm or whereever they'd peed a few minutes before. I keep a stash of babywipes in the playroom at all times. Oh the joys of gliderparenthood.

One of these days I'll have to upload Liam's little boot scoot boogie move. It's hilarious!
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2014
04:38:22 PM
How did your glider eat last night?

I hope you have found foods other than apples that he will eat.

If you are mixing apple juice in his water - be sure to change it about every 8 hours as it will spoil (ferment) if left out at room temperature much longer than that.
Food, Diet
Apr 19 2014
09:41:17 PM
He seems to really like the yogurt I've been putting down for him. And I change and clean his food bowl everytime before he eats another meal so there's no chance of him getting food or water that has gone bad. But he seems to be doing great still. There is no clear difference that the protein in the yogurt has changed anything but he's at least eating more than apples! And thanks for all your comments and help.
Food, Diet
Apr 20 2014
02:10:50 AM
DragonSlave Joey 27 Posts
II've never seen mine drink from the water dish. Their food is also very moist. Once, I left pellets in the cage overnight (I usually just leave them out during the day) and the water dish was empty the next morning, which was a first. Pellets are dry and offer nothing in the way of hydration, unlike their normal food.

Apples are juicy, and probably provide more than enough fluid for your joey. That he shows no interest in drinking water straight just shows that he's not thirsty. Nothing to worry about.
Food, Diet
Apr 20 2014
09:22:56 AM
I encourage you to look at the various nectar like staple recipes and choose a feeding plan for your joey.

Apples and yogurt alone are missing MANY important vitamins and minerals that your little joey requires for growth and health.

I have my own feeding plan on my web page along with links to several other widely used feeding plans to help you locate the information.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

He may appear healthy now but lack of vitamins during this rapid growth phase of his life could lead to long term health issues.
Food, Diet
Apr 20 2014
02:08:31 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Ditto...mine rarely touch their water bottle or little dish unless I'm offering cranberry juice. But, they basically have all the water and fluids they need in their staple and their other fruit offerings (watermelon, etc.)

Please do get him on a recommended diet as Candy has linked to. It's so much a priority for him right now. We want to see you enjoy this little guy for many many years!!!
Should I be worried?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Should I be worried?