Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Feeding pinkies to gliders? How many and how often?
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
01:07:07 AM
I'm a new glider owner, and a former vegan btw. I'd probably go back to vegan of I could afford it (my gliders eat better than I do)

I'm not wanting to get into the ethics portion of pinkies (unless you're prepared for me to recoil with some facts you don't want to know about your food)

I'm asking about pinkies because as a mama all I want is for my gliders to be healthy and making sure they have a good amount of nutrition and protein.
I want to treat them to something other than fattening mealies.

So my questions are:
How safe is it to feed pinkies to gliders?
Are there any known risks?
How many do I feed them?
How often do I feed it to them?

I'd obviously feed them thawed out frozen pinkies as I know hearing screams while my gliders eat the legs off a live one would give me nightmares and panic attacks....

Edited by - Pandepon on Jun 28 2014 01:08:04 AM
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
01:37:44 AM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I fed them for a few years once a week live, they didn't like the frozen ones. I got them from the pet store. I know of others who have or do feed them.Just make sure it goes with the diet you are feeding
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
08:55:25 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If you are using one of the widely used glider feeding plans - extra protein in the form of a pinkie is NOT necessary but might be offered once in a while as a treat.

I give my gliders boiled chicken wings once in a while and they also get turkey neck at Christmas and Thanksgiving - in place of their staple that night.

They enjoy carrying the bones around.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
12:47:24 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Live crickets would be something you might want to try.

They are a better protein source than Meal worms and the gliders will enjoy the hunt. (as long as they are not afraid of them).

My gliders freaked out(they were young and I have not tried it again with them- and crickets freak me out).

I ordered them the canned crickets cooked in their own juices(yummy.. huh?)they were freaked out by those too.

They Love their mealies but I only give them occasionally. Their diet has plenty of protein so the mealies are just a snack.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
09:09:03 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
I don't want to feed crickets because I would be afraid of them getting into the house and then they would be chirping in the house and I wouldn't be able to sleep. LOL

Food, Diet
Jun 28 2014
11:05:31 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
The bath tub or in the tent...it would be too easy for them to fall in the drop pan and escape if you gave them to them in their cage.

Crickets creep me out...they look like cockroaches to me.
Food, Diet
Jun 29 2014
09:09:09 AM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
Yeah that is why I really don't want to feed them. I never even realized they were good for them.
Food, Diet
Jun 29 2014
10:06:49 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I feed crickets. Just make sure they are not raised or kept in a corn product bedding to avoid mold which can cause aflatoxin poison to gliders. I have gotten mine from the same farm for 9 years, still its a risk I take
Food, Diet
Jul 13 2014
09:23:06 PM
Tongue Flicker Glider 72 Posts

Protein aside, they are high in fats as well

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders