Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mealworms?
Mealworms?
Food, Diet
Jul 03 2014
03:19:56 PM
I am thinking of farming some mealworms to give to my sugar gliders. Is this a good idea?
Also, if my gliders are on bml do they need mealworms nightly?
Food, Diet
Jul 03 2014
07:41:43 PM
Beaker Joey 17 Posts
I recently started farming mealworms..somewhat of a long process to get started. I have just recently started seeing babies and none of them nearly large enough for feeding size. I started a farm because I was speeding too much money on pet store mealies that were always 1/4th dead on arrival and this way I know where my worms came from and what they have been eating. I'm no expert but I think a farm can be a good idea, especially if you enjoy insects like I do. You can find various guides on how to start up farms on YouTube and through a Google search.
Food, Diet
Jul 04 2014
09:31:34 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
They do not need mealworms nightly. Mealworms are a fairly good source of protein, but they are more of a treat than anything else. They are high in fat, and too much can cause eye problems and obesity.

You can farm them easy enough, we do. Just make sure there is a source of moisture like carrots or potatoes and do not keep them in cornmeal. Aflatoxin is a possible side effect, or if the substrate gets wet. Wood chips or bran are good. We use what they come in from the pet store with some oats added. Aflatoxin can grow in corn substrates, but not other grains or seeds.

They really don't take all that long for new ones to develop. You will see beetles. Mealworms are the larval stage of the beetle. We often feed smaller ones (maybe an inch or 3/4 inch), and supplement periodically with a few from the pet store.
Food, Diet
Jul 08 2014
03:19:40 PM
suziq Joey Visit suziq's Photo Album 42 Posts
Very helpful. Thank you!!
Food, Diet
Jul 13 2014
09:18:55 PM
Tongue Flicker Glider 72 Posts

I'd rather give superworms with heads cut off than mealworms. Less in fat, more in moisture.
Food, Diet
Jul 13 2014
11:51:49 PM
suziq Joey Visit suziq's Photo Album 42 Posts
Thats interesting. Good advice. Thank you!
Mealworms?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mealworms?