Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider has an attitude...
Question
Jul 11 2014
09:13:46 AM
My friend dropped off his 2 female gliders yesterday for me to babysit for the next 2 weeks since he is away. One of them (6months old) is super sweet and loves being held and played with. The other one (1 year old) is VERY sassy and crabs and bites and lunges. She hides every chance she gets and constantly runs away and refuses to go back in her cage. I am in no way trying to bond with them because they are not mine. However, how can I handle the aggressive one without getting attacked all the time and without scaring her or getting her upset? Also, how can I get her back in the cage easier?
Question
Jul 11 2014
09:25:41 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
First, feed them before they wake up so you do not have to deal with a glider that want to escape as soon as you open the cage door.

If you have them out of the cage and need to get her to go back in, you might just turn on all the lights in the room and give her a pouch to go into. Put some treats in the pouch and once she goes in you can hold the top of the pouch closed and carry her to the cage.

I would not take them out in a wide open area - to avoid having to chase her. Carry them to a small area like a bathroom for play time so you have more control over the situation.

You can also treat them as you would a new glider. Sit and talk to they quietly while they are in the cage, always talk to them before you open the cage or touch the pouch. She is frightened right now and needs a little time to begin to trust you before she looses the attitude.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders