Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
trim trax
trim trax
Question
Jul 11 2014
01:42:01 PM
A couple months ago I took the trim trax out of the wheel and soaked them in vinegar water because they were filthy. After leaving them to soak for a few days, I scrubbed the filthy spots with a toothbrush and put them back in the wheel so they would dry flat. Later the next day I put the wheel back in the girls cage. Today is time to clean the cage again and I noticed that one of the sections of sandpaper cloth is being ripped apart again by the girls nails

I took a couple pieces of it out, and they all feel flimsy, like they got filthy and have been in their for years. Is there something else I should clean them in instead of vinegar water? How long do these typically last? We've had our wheel about 9 months, and the trim trax about 7. That seems kind of a short life to me.
Question
Jul 11 2014
02:40:44 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
They're really just fine grade sandpaper. Replacements can be purchased where you ordered your wheel (I'm only assuming Stealth or Raptor type...maybe you have something else?) I just took one of the new ones to the hardware store and matched it up to a fine grade of sandpaper (very fine). Mine really only last about a month, and that's with one good hosing down and scrubbing of them while in the wheel at 2 weeks.
Question
Jul 11 2014
02:52:29 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
So you don't take them out to wash them? You just leave them in? Mine are certainly looking like they need to be replaced.

I use a raptor wheel.

Thanks Blue!

Edited by - BandP on Jul 11 2014 02:52:58 PM
Question
Jul 11 2014
03:11:54 PM
CLo1227 Glider Visit CLo1227's Photo Album 172 Posts
I replace my trim trax every time I do a complete hose down (today was one of those days). It usually ends up being every month to two months. It really depends on how much of a mess they make. If my babies have joeys, I will take the trim trax off and wash them ( that way they are not too abrasive for the joeys), otherwise, I just replace with new ones.
Question
Jul 11 2014
05:28:47 PM
Toodles_Jennie Joey Visit Toodles_Jennie's Photo Album Toodles_Jennie's Journal TX, USA 49 Posts
The trim traxs use sandpaper, I just purchased some sandpaper and some gutter guard couple days ago (wanted to make my trim trax longer around the wheel), from everything I read I went with 320 waterproof sandpaper and so far no issues some people use 400. Personally I couldn't see the sandpaper lasting longer than a month with my two.
Question
Jul 13 2014
01:05:38 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Yep, pretty much all that our friends said above. I do wash it once at 2 weeks in and then replace it 2 weeks after (basically once a month). I don't take it out when I wash it, I use a bristle brush to scrub the wheel and all of it's crevices which catch plenty of nasty stuff too. But, mine it mounted to the side of the cage so it is more convenient for me to do it this way. Some have the platform so that the wheel sits at the bottom of the cage. Just personal preference on that part. :)
trim trax

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
trim trax